To all you Cereal Eaters out there......

Jess0218
Jess0218 Posts: 138
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Hi gang! Im starting to like eating breakfast more and more and love cereal occasionally. I think im buyin healthier cereal w/ Raison Bran, etc, when I really wanna buy Capt'n Crunch! lol :bigsmile: Anywho..would like to see what healthy choices everyones eating cereal wise so I can get some healthier not so loaded w/ sugar options:happy:

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Check your label on the Raisin Bran. Many of them have quite a bit of added sugar. (not trying to be a downer--just wanted to let you know). I love Raisin Bran. It is one of my favorite cereals and I was surprised to see how much added sugar there is. :brokenheart: I love plain spoon sized shredded wheat. :bigsmile:
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    I love Special K Vanilla Almond, or Fiber Plus Cinnamon Oat crunch!! :) But I REALLY Love Peanut butter Captain Crunch...just can't eat it now!! LOL
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    I like the Uncle Sam cereal, sweetened with stevia.

I also like the Kashi GoLean. It has 13g of protien and 10g of fiber.

Raisin Bran is FULL of sugar.
  • King_Bee
    King_Bee Posts: 275 Member
    I really love the Kashi Go Lean! Crunch cereal...that would have to be my favorite...and it's loaded with fiber.

I'll throw in blueberries or strawberries sometimes...great!
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    I am quite liking Honey Readybrek (I hate porridge) and also Nestle Honey Oats and More. Shreddies are doable too and Weetabix is one of my regular breakfasts! :)
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    My new :heart: is Strawberry Yogurt Cheerios... YUMMMMO! I eat 1.5 servings with 1 full cup of skim milk. I think it's like 270 calories :happy: Good luck!
  • hyoung3
    hyoung3 Posts: 85 Member
    Cheerios for me most days.... :smile:
  • Jazzy_Maria
    Jazzy_Maria Posts: 34 Member
    cheerios are my favorite!! my problem has always been that I eat waaaaaay more than a serving in one sitting. I like a BIG bowl!!!

I've also just started eating Kashi Go Lean Crunch mixed into my vanilla greek yogurt! pair with some strawberries, and this a delish light b-fast!!!
  • indiethought
    indiethought Posts: 2 Member
    I love cereal too! I've switched from Lucky Charms to Kashi Strawberry Fields -- organic, whole grain and only 9 grams of sugar and 120 calories per serving (1 cup)! I also really like the Kashi 7-grain flakes, but if you like sweet, go with the Strawberry Fields!
  • pbattle106
    pbattle106 Posts: 7 Member
    My fav is Frosted Mini Wheats!!!!:smooched:
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    I really like the Special K cereals and for a sweet treat I'll do their Chocolaty Delight brand - yum!
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Just finished a bowl of Kashi Go Lean Honey Almond Flax w/almond milk....YUMMM!!!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    I like Special K Blueberry
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    i'm a fan of all kashi - esp the autumn wheat. also eat kelloggs fiber plus cinnamon oats and multi grain cheerios. also plain mini shredded wheat with a packet of truvia & 1/4 C of blueberries! (occasionally the raisin bran too - just in moderation! :))
  • Cheerios and fiber one original with stevia and almond milk.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    Kashi Go Lean Original and Kashi Go Lean Honey Almond Flax
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    quacker oat squares are good. Plus make your own granola!
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Multigrain Cheerios, Banana Nut Cheerios and occasionally I will get Total Almond Flax Seed.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    I like Kelloggs - Fiber Plus Antioxidants Cinnamon Oat Crunch Cereal. It's like a cinnamon cherrio with fiber added.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Quaker Corn Bran... OMG it is seriously captain crunch for grown ups... if you really really love captain crunch... you will really really love this. still has some sweetness... but its delicious!
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    I'm a Kashi Go Lean cereal gal. One bowl keeps me going throughout my whole morning workout. My body really misses it when I don't get it!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Hi gang! Im starting to like eating breakfast more and more and love cereal occasionally. I think im buyin healthier cereal w/ Raison Bran, etc, when I really wanna buy Capt'n Crunch! lol :bigsmile: Anywho..would like to see what healthy choices everyones eating cereal wise so I can get some healthier not so loaded w/ sugar options:happy:

Believe it or not, you might as well just eat the Cap'n Crunch.

Here is the nutritional info for the Raisin Bran: http://www2.kelloggs.com/ServeImage.aspx?BID=79989&MD5=9d8b4373dec3b978f1a00aa5dc442e4e

And for the Cap'n Crunch: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-quaker-oats-capn-crunch-i8010

You may THINK there is less sugar in the Raisin Bran, but you'd be wrong. The Raisin Bran is 46g of Carbs. Forget about 'sugars'. Simple carbs are all sugars to your body. You can back out the fiber if you want to to get 'net carbs', but that still leaves you with 39g of carbs.

The Cap'n Crunch has 22.9 g carbs and less than one gram of fiber. Yes, that's right, LESS THAN HALF the carbs in the Raisin Bran. And again, simple carbs are all sugar to your body.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    KIX CEREAL is a good one. I was really surprised when I looked at the label but it's only 88cal per serving and 2g of sugar!! There aren't many others that have that little sugar!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Shredded wheat or Kashi Autumn Wheat are my 'go to' since I can eat it dry at my desk at work. Takes me all morning to finish a serving and it's quite filling.
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Multi Grain Cherrios, Life, Fiber One has some New cereals that are good I think that Kelloggs Fiber plus would be yummy & Filling!
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    I'm a fan of the Kashi lineup as well. I also like the Ezekial 4:9 cereals. Alot like grape nuts, but with a few different grains and some flavorings. I also don't do dairy so everything is with unsweetened soy milk.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    It's true. Unfortunately the raisin bran is one of the ones with really high sugar :( It used to be my favorite cereal! I try to get a lot of fiber in for breakfast. I like Kashi honey sunshine and the new cinnamon burst cheerios. They both have added fiber! My other favorites are honey bunches of oats and golden grahams! I don't eat those very often though because of sugar and wanting to up my fiber.

Oh editing to add I eat the kashi or cheerios dry on the go! It's perfect for a busy morning. :)
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    I love Special K Vanilla Almond, or Fiber Plus Cinnamon Oat crunch!! :) But I REALLY Love Peanut butter Captain Crunch...just can't eat it now!! LOL

Ya!!special k vanilla almond is my fav. I've started eating it w so delicious's vanilla coconut milk instead of milk too [I get the 'juicebox' pack and just cut the box and pour it out]and it tastes like rice crispy treat cereal that they have or had when I was a kid for a while anyway. Also the special k chocholatey delight. I love that too mmmm
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Check your label on the Raisin Bran. Many of them have quite a bit of added sugar. (not trying to be a downer--just wanted to let you know). I love Raisin Bran. It is one of my favorite cereals and I was surprised to see how much added sugar there is. :brokenheart: I love plain spoon sized shredded wheat. :bigsmile:

its because raisins are packed with sugar
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Lot of Kashi cereal lovers here. Glad I don't work with y'all :bigsmile:
    http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/20-1-cup-Kashi-GoLEAN-Crunch-+-12-cup-milk-Endless-stomach-churning-gas..html

I like the comment about Kashi GoLEAN Crunch as the Happy Golden Farty Crunches!!! ROFL
This discussion has been closed.