are we sometimes congratulating people for undereating? Loo

Options
SK24373
SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
OK I am going to piss some people off with my post but...here it goes.
I will start by saying that I love the support, energy and community here at MFP. I know that we all share common goals of being fit and healthy, and many people are trying to lose weight, etc.

I think it is great that people take the time to encourage others and comment on their status. I have been super touched by people reaching out to say "good job" or comment on a small victory, etc..

BUT...I also think that just because someone's status comes up "Sandy finished her diet and exercise diary and was below her calorie goal - or whatever it exactly says) is not necessarily a reason to say "way to go" or "good job".

We are ALL different. We are different ages, genders, body types. We have different goals and different circumstances.

I personally believe that we need to congratulate EVERY person here trying to live a better life, be fit, be accountable, be honest and be healthy. Anyone who is making an effort, dealing with setbacks, educating themselves on better nutrition, exercise, etc.

BUT...sometimes I look at someone's food diary (partially because I am interested in getting ideas about different foods/snacks to try and because if you look great, I wanna know what you are eating -lol) and it is WAY under what their "goal" is. I mean I have seen people eat only 900 calories, and work out like Olympians. Now...if this happens once in a blue moon because you were busy or sick, or just didn't log in all of your calories, then I totally understand. BUT...I hope we are not just congratulating people for under-eating or starving themselves or not understanding the importance of proper nutrition!

Also...I try to keep it real and honest and log my workouts. SOme days my heart rate is going and I have energy and I kick butt.
Other days I am tired and short on time and I try to keep the discipline of doing something, but it is not always a "great" workout.

I wish we were able to add commentary about how we feel about our own workouts - lol. SOmetimes people write "great burn" or WTG - and it is sooooooooooooo cool of them because I know that they are in my corner. BUT sometimes I feel like telling them "the truth is that I was a lazy *kitten* today and only got my heart rate up to 112 today and barely broke a sweat" - or whatever.

I want people to PUSH me. Don't congratulate me for logging in every day - no matter how many days in a row it is. Kick my butt if I start slacking. GIve me suggestions to kick it up. Share your pics of your progress and inspire me.

NOW this is just the way I feel. I know others appreciate and enjoy the comments and congrats on "logging" anniversaries, etc and if that works for you then I am all for it. Everyone has different motivators and when I comment on your stuff I believe it in my heart and it is genuine.

This is just my personal opinion and perspective. And so...I am asking my MFP to kick my butt little harder.
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    Well put...
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    What you say is very true........I think we are quick to congratulate when perhaps we should really be offering supportive criticism instead...I actually read the diaries before I comment.....some don't.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    There's an option in your food and exercise diary for notes -- it's at the bottom of the page. Maybe you can log those things there if you want? That way when people look they'll see it too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I agree. Unde-eating can be just as bad as over eating, and maybe even worse, depending on the circumstance.
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    I like what you are explaining on here...People do need to make sure that they are striving to eat the calories that they should be getting in a day! Thanks for posting this, and I hope it helps some of those to realize that starving yourself may lose some pounds at first, but not only are they hurting their bodies, but they are at the same time going to eventually stop losing, because their bodies will go in to survival mode and store everything that they do eat as fat. Thats the opposite of getting healthy which is what we are all trying to do on this site
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I'm sure people's intentions are good, but I've always wondered when I read it on my newsfeed. Chances are, many of the people on myfitnesspal are going to eat the absolute minimum calories suggested in hopes of losing weight more quickly. Say the minimum is 1200...and they only eat 950, thus putting them under their calorie goal...I don't think that's "way to go" worthy - it's unhealthy. Thanks for putting yourself out there; hopefully people will read this and realize it's not necessarily a good thing!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I think that status-update feature was originally put out there for people to encourage others to be eating all of the calories if they see that someone was beneath their goal - not so much to congratulate on being under.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I congratulate people just for finishing their diary, whether over or under, logging is the important thing.

I'm confused by your statement about telling people how you feel about your exercise. After I enter mine and it appears on my "wall", I can put a comment under it. You're right, it would be nice to be able to post a comment right in that area, but I still often will write something about my workout underneather in the comments area.
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Makes total sense.

Also, if we're suppose to eat our workout calories, why is it good that we are "under" the calories. I thought that was bad. :huh:
  • Brooklyn5966
    Options
    I understand were you are coming from, I actaully get somewhat comfused by the site at times. It's like they say YAY you were under your calorie goal GREAT JOB! Then in itty bitty letters it tells you, you are porbably starving yourself. I get confused on what I'm really suppost to be doing here...eat over my calories, hit exactly 1200 a day or ignore the little warning at the bottom once you've logged in for the day!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I too have thought about this.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree! I was looking at those diary completion posts the other day and thinking to myself why is it good to be UNDER your goal. I generally don't complete my food diary anymore because I am making it a habit to eat over my calorie goal (not by a lot but somewhere around 100 cals give or take a few) This is still less than I would need to maintain my weight at my goal weight but not even close to putting me in starvation mode so I feel that I don't want to have it post to my wall that I didn't meet my goal because that just isn't true...
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I agree that some people are way under. I'm tending to be under, but I think it's because I am really not "eating my excersize". I'm loving the support and the sharing from everyone, it's so encouraging to see everyone's progress.

As far as commenting on your own excersize, you can. After you log it, it will come up on your profile, and you can comment on it there. I did that the other day. I walked 7 mins on the treadmill, and burned something like 39 calories...I did post the comment that it sounds lame, but it was just a warm-up before a 45-minute abs class at my gym.

In any case, keep up the good work! I'm not good at kickin butt, I prefer Richard Simmons to JIllian Michaels...lol...I will give all the encouragement I can muster!!!
  • newnormal2010
    Options
    Personally, I think the "pat on the back" message should be more along the lines of "Sandy completed her food diary and was within her target range." I hate the fact that I can go over by one calorie and lose the good feedback, but I can go under by an unhealthy amount without losing that feedback. On the other hand, if your weight and goals are such that your target calories are at or near 1200, you almost can't win! If you are under your goal, you're going to get the "you aren't eating enough" message. Very frustrating! :huh:
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I never comment on someone's diary unless I can view it and unless I actually VIEW IT. I can't tell you good job if yours is private or I haven't even looked at it. You may be under your calorie goal and only ate an apple today. That is not rewardable (for lack of a better word) behavior
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.

I find it especially hard to give encouragement to people who's diaries are locked. Who's to know how you ate? You could have had 1 grape all day and exercised like a maniac or you could have binged and ate horribly. I feel like If I tell you you're doing a great job for being under...I have no idea how you were under! I could be feeding into some crazy starvation thing or you could have ate 5 candy bars! I have no idea =\.

I've come to the conclusion if you're diary isn't open I will just say wtg...that's even pushing it. I feel so weird leaving encouragement for closed diaries.
  • Eric0388
    Eric0388 Posts: 20
    Options
    In my opinion I undereat everyday :-)
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I agree. I recently started using the "notes" section in my diary to explain why a particular day was funky or whatever. I like that because 6 months from now I might not know why I had a horrible day that day etc. Not that I'm making excuses or what not but I'm just gonna be honest and say crazy days happen. And generally if i feel additional explanation is warranted on an exercise post - i'll just comment on my own post.
  • ByTheBeach
    Options
    thanks for posting this. i used to say "good job" when my friends ate less than they should...then I realized I didn't want to congratulate people on being malnourished.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    ...BUT...I also think that just because someone's status comes up "Sandy finished her diet and exercise diary and was below her calorie goal - or whatever it exactly says) is not necessarily a reason to say "way to go" or "good job".

...I wish we were able to add commentary about how we feel about our own workouts - lol. SOmetimes people write "great burn" or WTG - and it is sooooooooooooo cool of them because I know that they are in my corner. BUT sometimes I feel like telling them "the truth is that I was a lazy *kitten* today and only got my heart rate up to 112 today and barely broke a sweat" - or whatever.

1. I usually skim someone's diary before I congratulate them or pat them on the back for being under calories too. I also HATE that the status is either under calories or just "completed the day". I wish there was a way to say if the day was near target or not, maybe within 200 calories or something. I HATE when I'm only a few calories over and had a great day, but don't get "credit" for it.

2. To add commentary how I feel about any of my workouts, I just leave a comment on my own update, so I can write if I was especially proud of an accomplishment, or if I was estimating the burn or anything like that, since I figure most people won't look at the notes I write when I record the workout on the "Track Exercise" page, KWIM?