What is the danger of going over on your protein?

Options
What is the danger of going over on your protein? I am using high protein meal replacement shakes for Breakfast and Lunch and a reasonable dinner. I always end up taking in twice the protein that I am supposed to have in a day according to myfitnesspal. My husband and I visited a nutritionist before starting our meal replacement shakes and she encouraged us to reach for protein snacks (string cheese, hardboiled egg) if we get hungry during the day; that takes us even further over the protein threshold. Is this something I should be concerned about? My calories, carbs and sugars are usually right on the mark

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If ALL you eat is protein, it can do damage to your liver long-term. But you have to take a LOT of protein... It's pretty rare. You're probably in the clear, since MFP has a kind of low recommendation to start. I'd ask the nutritionist.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Going over on protien is totally fine! It helps build lean muscle. Better than going over on carbs or sugar!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Are you working out? Because protein is essential if you are. I always go over my protein and never think twice about it because protein is an important part of building muscle.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this. I was just wondering. I just started here and am eating kind of what I normally eat - and I notice my protein and fiber, I'm always over on both of these. Not double though. I think if you are well-rounded otherwise you would be alright, if you are getting enough carbs and a good variety I wouldn't worry.
  • swtlilkookie
    Options
    good afternoon, when i was at the nutritionist they told me that protien has a couple of funtions, one is it helps u feel fuller,the other is it keeps ur iron levels where they need to be. the diet i need to follw is all high protien and i have no issues what so ever .
    i hope the information that was given to me is helpful for u
    lorna
  • cast59
    cast59 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No danger. MFP is low on protein %. I have changed mine to 30% from 15%.
    Keep your fat where it is and lower your carbs by the15% you added to your protein.
    Fat and carbs are a different story but protein is good. Good Luck hope that helps
  • Tonito1508
    Options
    As Sara says you can damage your liver, also the protein that excess the maximun makes you gain weight. It all depends on your metabolism. I'm not sure about women, but men should eat 1 gram per weight pound, if the goal is muscle gaining the amount is even more.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One of the main concerns for people consuming high amounts of protein is higher risk for heart disease and high cholesterol because many times people who get large amounts of protein are consuming meats high in saturated fat. It seems that you are getting your protein from low fat sources, so I don't see a problem with that.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You have to eat an absolute ton to do any damage. People do talk about kidney damage but that would only be a concern if you had weak kidneys to begin with. A reasonably healthy person who is well hydrated doesn't have anything to worry about. Add some good strength training to your workouts and take advantage of the higher protein levels.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    You can also damage your kidneys, especially if you have kidney disease. Since you asked. But overall it's great to be over on protein as long as it's not like 60% of your intake...

Edit: And YES! Hydration is KEY!!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    No danger at all.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As long as the person on a high protein diet doesn't already have kidney issues tho. If the diet is very high in protein (30% and higher) then you run the risk of developing ketones that your kidneys want to flush out the best way they know how - urinate. That can lead to dehydration if someone isn't keeping up the water intake.

So all in all, if you already have or had had kidney problems a doctor should give you the go-ahead for high protein diets.

Edited to add - as I was typing this some people already brought it up!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've been told eating too much of anything will turn to fat.
    And why do you chose to have shakes? wouldn't you rather have real food?
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Too much protein does NOT damage your liver. The only health concerns with protein are for those that have bad kidney function or have liver failure. If your kidneys do not work properly, you can't excrete the nitrogenous waste that comes from metabolizing protein. Similarly if you have liver failure, excess protein may be problematic

You can't however just eat enormous amounts of protein with out consequences. Excess protein will be broken down for energy and if you take in more than you need, it will be stored as fat.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    ^ This is what my memory does. I remember liver damage from extremely high protein bit, but I won't remember the "liver failure first" part.

Thanks for the correction.
  • ColleenAllard
    ColleenAllard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I choose the shakes because they are easy and taste great! I have a very busy job so I like being able to blend up a shake and get back to work ( I do take 30 minutes away from my desk to walk at lunch). Weekends are a little harder to do the shakes because I am often times out of the house running errands, going to kid activities, etc and so used to the "swing through fastfood" habit, but I am handling it. The thing about diets that drives me crazy is the planning and measuring of your food. I am an accountant and I spend al day tracking numbers, I really don't want to have to work that hard tracking my food intake. By using the shakes and MFP, I am finding getting healthy MUCH easier!