Women and Weights

Options
Hey all,
I had a question about doing strength training. I am doing weights 4x a week on all the different muscle groups (not all on the same day obviously). I just want a toning effect of the weights - not the bulking up of body builders - so I do a lot of reps with lighter weights. Is this the right path? I am terrified to make my muscles bigger! Also, I have heard both that doing the weights will slow down weight loss and also that it speeds it up. It makes sense that it may do both (speeding up metabolism vs. muscle weighing more). Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• msblondy16
    Options
    Hey all,
    I had a question about doing strength training. I am doing weights 4x a week on all the different muscle groups (not all on the same day obviously). I just want a toning effect of the weights - not the bulking up of body builders - so I do a lot of reps with lighter weights. Is this the right path? I am terrified to make my muscles bigger! Also, I have heard both that doing the weights will slow down weight loss and also that it speeds it up. It makes sense that it may do both (speeding up metabolism vs. muscle weighing more). Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I hired a personal trainer a couple years ago he would get me to do weights during each work out - but yes, you want to use the lighter weights, about 2-3 reps of 12-15 times each rep and do your cardio AFTER your weights. A lot of ppl think you should do cardio first, but it's the other way around.
  • msblondy16
    Options
    really? cardio after? i usually do 30 min before and then another 30 min after i do my weights. does this hurt me?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Women are not pre-determined to get bulky muscles (unless you take enhancing supplements OR have higher levels or testosterone in your body for a lady). So, whether you are lifting heavy weights or light weights w/many reps... you aren't going to "get bulky"
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way.. last night on Biggest Loser, Bob had Amy P leg pressing over 400 lbs. So it mustnt be that bad.
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    I just started working with a trainer, and 30 min before and after too much, and you should take a 24 hour rest after strength trainer, to rest muscles
    And yes you will gain muscle, muscle weighs more than fat, so you may gain for a few weeks, until your body adjusts to all
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    my trainer would have me warm up on a bike for about 5-10 minutes just to get my heart rate up and then I would do the circuit (weights) probably for about 30 minutes and end with 30 minutes of cardio.
    I would focus on upper body on the weights then cardio, the next day I would do lower body and then cardio.
    I'm sure every trainer is different - but i this is what mine trained me to do.
  • msblondy16
    Options
    thank you everyone!!! :bigsmile: