pickles!!

Options
do pickles really have 0 calories?? i find it so hard to believe!!!! what does everyone think?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It's a cucumber and cucumber have calories. I think by law a product can say it has zero calories if the calorie count is low enough. Kind of like "fat free" can mean less than 0.5 grams of fat. So the serving size is probably small enough where it doesn't add up to much.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jacquelyn913
    Jacquelyn913 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    LOTS of sodium though!
  • aeagles
    aeagles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i heard the same thing so i looked at the serving size and my jar (klaussen, i think) has 5 cal per serving, which is 1/3 of a pickle so the whole pickle has 15 calories. i have no idea if that's standard, though.
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sure they have some calories, though it'll be a small amount. The thing to watch out for with pickles is the insanely high sodium!!
  • susancelli928
    Options
    it depends on the type of pickle I think. If you look at some websites, you will see that cucumbers and celery and other things have 0 calories, but when logged in on my food list they say it does have calories so who knows.
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am a pickle-holic so I have done my research on this topic! No calories, no nutritional value, lots of sodium. Better than a bowl of ice cream for you, but not as good as fruit. I don't really have a sweet tooth so my idea of dessert used to be a pickle before bed. Fortunately, I got sick of them so it's beena while...I guess I'm in pickle-detox.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    So weird. How do pickles not have cals, but cucumbers do? or is the database wrong?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    The pickles I ate today had a calorie count on the jar (Vlasic Bread and Butter) High in sodium, but I eat pickles so rarely I splurged.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My jar of whole pickles says 15 calories each. They don't have a lot of calories, but they do have some. The sodium is a killer, though.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    baby dills have 5 calories apiece, regular size dills have 10 apiece... Not sure about sweet pickles, I don't eat them. I love dill pickles though!
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am a pickle-holic so I have done my research on this topic! No calories, no nutritional value, lots of sodium. Better than a bowl of ice cream for you, but not as good as fruit. I don't really have a sweet tooth so my idea of dessert used to be a pickle before bed. Fortunately, I got sick of them so it's beena while...I guess I'm in pickle-detox.

LOL
  • skorpion13
    skorpion13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I heard they actually burn calories!!