Tastes fattening but is healthy

Options

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    wow - people can be so mean sometimes.

this is a great topic and full of great advice, just leave the crap-talk out of it.

I don't want to derail a thread with a lot of back and forth, but maybe I'm missing something and you can explain it to me.

My understanding is that the OP has limited his/herself to about 5-6 foods and doesn't want to expand that.

I don't see how a recipe, that likely includes things that they've written off, will help. Not until they are willing to expand the number of foods that they are willing to eat.

I've got relatives with food allergies (peanuts, seafood ect.). They have no choice but to avoid these foods, I don't think that the OP is in the same boat.

If pointing that out makes me "mean" or a "troll" then so be it.
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    Lean Cuisine flatbread sandwiches taste fatty but aren't. Sweet potato fries are a good alternative as well.

Also, what about oven frying your chicken. Coat the chicken in bread crumbs (no skin) and bake in the oven until cooked and crispy.

For your spaghetti, make your own sauce. Add vegetables to your sauce and let it cook for at least an hour. I take a can of ragu, add chopped tomatoes, a whole onion, a whole zuchinni and 2 carrots. If you are not a veggie fan take a food processor or blender or just chop them very fine. They add amazing flavor. Cook them down and you wont even see them.

Just cut back your portion size on your favorite food and eat them with healthy foods, like fruit or veggies or a salad.

Lean cuisines are not healthy. Low cal does not mean healthy.

And for the pasta sauce you can pre-cook the veggies, puree them and add to the sauce, you won't even know they are there. You can do this with pizza sauce and soups as well.

i totally agree. .. what people need to start doing is opening their eyes to the UNHEALTHY stuff the fda and food undustry try to pass off as healthy... take the extra time to research your food. dont buy stuff just because it is convenient.. though we all look for the fast convenient way.. it is our downfall.. try starting slow like 80/20 change 20 percent of your food per day to ALL NATURAL things.. NOT BOXED.. and slowly grow on that.. eat only WHOLE grain real whole grains and skip the white.. look for recepies online there are TONS out there. that can make healthy food taste good without adding calories with cream sauses use herbs instead..
    and the whole puree the veggies and mix them in is the BESTE idea ever!!

good luck!
  • jackiemarie
    jackiemarie Posts: 111
    Options
    bump
  • lcarr417
    lcarr417 Posts: 16
    Options
    thanks for the ideas, i'll try it out. and i do agree, trying things slowly is the key, because throwing all new things together is not what works for me. I did try blending peas into my spaghetti sauce last night and I lived so why not try it again with something else. :happy:
  • lcarr417
    Options
    mmmm that sounds like a good one, thanks!
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lcarr417
    Options

this is a great topic and full of great advice, just leave the crap-talk out of it.

I don't want to derail a thread with a lot of back and forth, but maybe I'm missing something and you can explain it to me.

My understanding is that the OP has limited his/herself to about 5-6 foods and doesn't want to expand that.

I don't see how a recipe, that likely includes things that they've written off, will help. Not until they are willing to expand the number of foods that they are willing to eat.

I've got relatives with food allergies (peanuts, seafood ect.). They have no choice but to avoid these foods, I don't think that the OP is in the same boat.

give this a read, I just came across this and its basically me. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/11/29/adult-picky-eaters-recognized-having-disorder/
    I never said I was not going to expand my foods, why would I be asking for ideas? I try new things at least once a week and I am not going to try and explain myself to you or anyone else placing judgement.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying thing...as you get older your palate changes so something that you may have hated as a kid you may not hate now though it may take some getting used to. Brocolli is an example. I read somewhere that to kids brocolli tastes very bitter due to their immature palate. Keep trying things. Put a a serving spoon full on your plate and eat it (regardless of how much you may dislike the flavor). It's more about being healthy then anything.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I guess my thought is that if you don't like the way OP eats and have nothing nice to say - don't open this thread or back out of it and don't respond. "grow up" is not helping anyone or anything.

While I'm not as limited in the things I like/dislike I am very picky. Most of my dislikes are condiments and cooked veggies. The thread has tossed out some very interesting ideas and I can't say that I wouldn't try them.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I guess my thought is that if you don't like the way OP eats and have nothing nice to say - don't open this thread or back out of it and don't respond. "grow up" is not helping anyone or anything.

While I'm not as limited in the things I like/dislike I am very picky. Most of my dislikes are condiments and cooked veggies. The thread has tossed out some very interesting ideas and I can't say that I wouldn't try them.

Okay, aside from "grow up" what was objectionable about what I said?

Do you not see a benefit in eating a larger variety of foods? And isn't that the root of this all?

Constructive critisism isn't "judgment"; actually constant cheerleading is more destructive.
  • alesi_79
    alesi_79 Posts: 23
    Options
    try zuchinni squash lasagna!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    go to hungry-girl.com there is a ton of recipies that are healthy but also taste good like anything unhealthy burgers, onion rings, snack foods, dessert and are now given a make over
  • irishbelle345
    Options
    I am a very picky eater as well... oh boy its nuts. and to be honest its hard cause i want to try new things and wellit doesnt really happen. my diet sounds alot like yours. here are some things i have been doing

green beans hhhmmm ok... if i use canned green beans i use low sodium or drain and rinse them first. in the pot with the the boiling water i add.... cinnamon!!!! so yummy. just a dash 1/2 a teaspoon to a full teaspoon depending on how many beans.

fresh green beans... snip the ends, pat dry , foil line a cookie sheet lay beens in a flat row.. drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle some parmesan cheese bake in a oven ( 450 ) for about 10 mins. .. i do the same with cauliflower.

pb&j low sugar jelly, natural or low fat peanut butter spread on a PLAIN rice cake.

hope these help. feel free to add me as a friend we can swap picky eater recipes.
    oohhh i forgot pretzel chicken... holy pretzels... its just like fried chicken. i used the Rachel Ray recipe except i used whole wheat pretzel no mustard and baked them i sprayed the chickens with a little bit of pam
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I myself can't stand the taste or texture of Lettuce. That goes for any type of it. Yuck. I also hate Mustard with a passion and won't even touch the bottle of it. the only thing I eat mayonnaise on is macaroni salad. I don't like most condiments at all actually. As far as veggies and other foods go, I'm not that picky. I used to hate onion, but now I will eat it if it is cooked and in very small pieces. I'm not too thrilled about mushrooms, but that is because they are basically a fungus and the thought just puts me off. cabbage has the same texture as lettuce so that is out for me too, but I basically like everything else! I have expanded my menu big time! Here is a recipe for really good chicken enchiladas though!

Easy Low fat chicken enchiladas

2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled and chopped into bite size pieces
    1 package Buena Vida Fat free flour tortillas
    1 can 98% fat free and reduced sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
    8 ounces reduced fat sour cream
    8 ounces plain non-fat yogurt
    1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles undrained
    8 ounces shredded cheese, divided

grill chicken and then cube. Preheat the oven to 350.
    Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chiles and yogurt. spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray. Combine chicken and 4 oz of the cheese in a bowl. spread a tablespoon of the soup mixture into center of each tortilla. Add chicken and cheese and roll up like taco. Place in the pan. Repeat until all tortillas are in the pan. Pour remaining soup mixture over top of the tortillas and make sure they are all covered.
    Cover pan with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 4 ounces of cheese (or add more if you wish) . Return to oven, uncovered for 10 minutes more.

268 Calories per serving. Serves 10
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Chicken Piccata is an Italian chicken dish served in a lemon, wine, butter sauce with capers and parsley.

This is a remake of Ina Garten's Chicken Piccata recipe, which is breaded... not a traditional Piccata, however it sounded like it would be really good. To lighten it, I reduced her portions, used whole wheat bread crumbs, and reduced the fat. I served this to my family and my husband pointed out the obvious, "this isn't Chicken Piccata... but it's good!"Serve this with a salad and a vegetable.

Chicken Piccata
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 piece • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 214 • Fat: 5.5 g • Protein: 24.2 g • Carb: 13.4 g • Fiber: 2.8 g

2 (16 oz total) chicken cutlet halves, all fat trimmed
    freshly ground black pepper
    2 large egg whites
    2/3 cup seasoned whole wheat dry bread crumbs
    olive oil spray (about 1 tbsp worth)
    1 tbs light butter
    juice of 1 lemon, lemon halves reserved
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
    1 tbsp capers
    Sliced lemon, for serving
    Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

Cut chicken into 4 cutlets, then place cutlets between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.

In a shallow plate, beat the egg whites and 1 teaspoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs in another plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the egg, then bread crumbs.

Heat a large saute pan over medium to medium-low heat. Spray a generous amount of olive oil spray on one side of the chicken, and lay it in the pan, oil side down. Spray the top of the chicken generously to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Set aside until you make the sauce.

For the sauce, clean the saute pan. Over medium heat, melt butter, add the lemon juice, wine, chicken broth and the reserved lemon halves, salt, and pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Discard the lemon halves, add the capers and serve one chicken cutlet on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage, Peppers and Escarole

This hearty Italian pasta dish has plenty of flavor without all the added fat of traditional pork sausage. Quick, easy and delicious!
    This recipe was shared with me by a former coworker and I've been looking forward to making this for weeks because I'm a huge fan of escarole!

Not all chicken sausages are alike, so it's a good idea to know your butcher or the person making the sausage if possible. I sampled a few Italian chicken sausages from different stores before I found a favorite at a nearby Italian specialty store made with all white meat. Living in New York, I'm fortunate to have some great Italian resources nearby, if you can't find chicken sausage, turkey sausage would be perfectly fine. I had no nutritional info, so I used the nutritional info for Isernio Italian Chicken Sausage to calculate. If you can't find escarole, you could use Swiss chard or fresh spinach instead.

Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage, Peppers and Escarole
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 297.7 • Fat: 5.5 g • Protein: 20.6 g • Carb: 47.2 g • Fiber: 7.5 g • Sugar: 1.1 g

12 oz Ronzoni Smart taste pasta (or whole wheat or low carb)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 lb Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
    1 medium head escarole, rinsed and torn into bite sized pieces
    1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Rinse escarole and tear into bite sized pieces.

Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Reserve 1 cup water before draining.
    While pasta water boils, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil; when hot add onions, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper.

Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.

Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon and cook until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Add escarole, cover and cook 2 minutes; remove the cover, stir and cook about 3 more minutes or until wilted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Add cooked pasta, red pepper flakes, reserved water and Parmigiano Reggiano, toss well and transfer to a large serving bowl. Serve immediately.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Spinach Lasagna Rolls

Perfectly portioned individual lasagnas. This is one of those family friendly recipes everyone in your home will love. A great way to get your kids to eat spinach too. I personally find one to be filling for me, served with a garden salad on the side.

Spinach Lasagna Rolls
    Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 roll • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 6 ww pts
    Calories: 224.9 • Fat: 5.1 g • Fiber: 3.4 g • Protein: 13.0 g • Carbs: 31.5

9 lasagna noodles, cooked
    10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
    15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (I like Polly-o)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    salt and fresh pepper
    32 oz tomato sauce
    9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking dish.

Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry. Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.

Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese. Put foil over baking dish and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.

To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.
  • Greeneyes3
    Options
    I was the same way, incredibly picky, until about 5 years ago. I basically grew up on junk food, burgers & fries, tv dinners, & soda. My parents were always really busy and my dad loves the stuff that's the worst for you, so that's what we usually ate. I know when your tastebuds haven't had a certain item, it is not pleasant to eat it. I didn't have a salad until I was 18! What helped me a lot, was just trying a bite here and there. Luckily for me, I worked at a steakhouse while in school. Sometimes they've have different dishes out for us to try, like salmon. I didn't try salmon until about 3 years ago. I had a bite, thought it was gross, and then walked away. This happened about 15 times before I actually enjoyed the taste lol. It also helped having sauces/dips that I DID like. At first I'd drench it in the dip, now I love it with or without the dip. I also rarely had veggies, fruit, anything wheat (bread, etc.), and so on growing up. It was a longgg time before I started enjoying and actually craving these things over unhealthy, fatty tasting options. Kudos to you for wanting to start eating healthy. For me, eating foods that were healthy, but fulfilled my tastebuds requests made the transition the easiest.

I love to always try new things w/ chicken. There really is a lot that you can do.

I took advantage of spices. I love spicy food, it can make a healthy/boring/bland meal taste amazing.

I have a big sweet tooth. Skinny cow ice cream has helped w/ this.

I also took advantage of the crock pot. It's hard not to like carrots when they're so soft and covered in a delicious creamy sauce! There are tons of recipes here, you just have to look through the forums.

I also love skinnytaste.com. Lots of good recipes that are incredibly delicious!

Good luck!
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying new things. That's half the battle. Just ignore the troll and negative poster. Obviously they have nothing better to do with their time than try and bring you down! There are lots of great ideas on this thread for you to try . Have fun with it. :smile: