Activity Level

Options
Hello all,

Is it better to over-estimate or under-estimate your activity level?

Replies

• debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose, underestimate it.

I find that I'm not always completely honest with myself, so I consciously underestimate my activity and overestimate what I've eaten. It seems to have gotten me over a hump.

Best,

Debbie
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I personally view the activity level setting as a convenience method of entering routine daily activity that you don't want to enter by hand all the time. Because my exercise is sporadic, I record each exercise individually rather than aggregating it into a fixed figure that I have less control over, and choose a sedentary activity level. If I chose 'lightly active' then I would only record exercise I do on top of my usual routine.

Whatever happens, don't count your exercise calories twice. If you include them in the activity level, don't record them again in the exercise diary.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

I find that I'm not always completely honest with myself, so I consciously underestimate my activity and overestimate what I've eaten. It seems to have gotten me over a hump.

Best,

Debbie

Agreed
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    I personally rather set everything as sedentary and manually enter any exercise, so I'll go with underestimating.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Best,

Debbie

This is exactly what I do as well. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's better to get it as close as possible. Both overestimating and underestimating can stall your progress.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So if I have it set as sedentary should I add in minutes spent cooking dinner and minutes cleaning? Or are those already factored in?

Thanks!
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    So if I have it set as sedentary should I add in minutes spent cooking dinner and minutes cleaning? Or are those already factored in?

Thanks!

Even though I'm set to sedentary I don't log absolutely everything like cooking and cleaning since it's not a huge difference, unless I do more than one hour of it and am feeling more active than normal. If I'm not huffing and puffing and breaking a sweat, I don't think it entitles me to eating more cookies :)