For Those Looking for Cheap Meals

Options
Every now and again someone posts an inquiry into finding inexpensive meals. I'm now getting off my *kitten* to recommend "Clean Eating" magazine. Low-calorie meals, with a pretty strong emphasis on keeping things low-cost. Sometimes even listing the cost-per-serving (If memory serves, most under $3 per serving.).

Thus far, everything we've cooked from the magazine has been very tasty. We've subscribed to it.

Replies

• basalmouse
    Options
    A lot of the Pamper Chef Recipes are around $3 dollars a serving, and Pretty low calorie!
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bumb.....gonna check it out later, thanks
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recommendation. I wonder if they have something online?
  • nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ive gotten great recipes from allrecipes.com and simply by googling!!:smile:
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    allrecipes is a great site for that!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    if i had to pay $3 per serving (3meals a day), thatd be nearly $300 a month, for just me to eat.. That is alot! I spend $200 a month to feed mostly me, but to share with my mom quite a bit too.
  • HeatherMarie1215
    Options
    Thanks! :smile:
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    if i had to pay $3 per serving (3meals a day), thatd be nearly $300 a month, for just me to eat.. That is alot! I spend $200 a month to feed mostly me, but to share with my mom quite a bit too.

Breakfast should come in under $1.00/day. Oatmeal is about 8-12 cents serving, and if you add fruit, it's still under $1.00.
    Lunch can be a pb&j sandwich and some veggies (carrots, celery, small salad) and still come under $2.00.
    So, even if dinners average $3.00/serving, that's still under $200/month.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Excuse me, I misspoke. Under $3 per serving for dinner. Other meals are typically cheaper.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    You're all welcome. Glad it was helpful.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just checked out the site, and it looks promising. Thanks for the tip.
  • redxmasqueen
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking at an issue of that at the grocery store last night! I may have to give a second look.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There's a Meal PLanning section as well on their website-something I desperately need!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options

Breakfast should come in under $1.00/day. Oatmeal is about 8-12 cents serving, and if you add fruit, it's still under $1.00.
    Lunch can be a pb&j sandwich and some veggies (carrots, celery, small salad) and still come under $2.00.
    So, even if dinners average $3.00/serving, that's still under $200/month.

I couldn't eat such a small breakfast and be stuffed enough to last 4hrs. That is also under 200cal, so id be severally under my calories if I combined that was the 300cal lunch u suggested.. I guess that $3 dinner must be pretty amazing to be over 1300calories. I'm gunna go check it out, thanks.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options

That's the problem I have, too. And I pay for my boyfriend's food too until his hours increase AND then his children who are here 4 days out of the month (but oh my god in those 4 days they eat me out of house and home!). People are like "how do you spend $400+ a month on FOOD?!"

It adds up quick! If it was just me, I'd probably spend about $200-$250 as well.
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like that magazine too. Tosca Reno has a few cookbooks out and I've made some recipes or been inspired by some recipes she has in there. Some healthy foods are luckily cheap:

dried beans
    rice (love black rice - have you tried it???)
    in season produce or frozen veggies

freebies from my garden - growing from seed is super cheap and I never pay for salads during the summer. I just go out back and pick my lettuce, cukes, tomatoes, peppers...
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    mnkarp: Thanks for the suggestion! We've not tried black rice (at least that I can remember). We'll give it a go.

Yeah, we're "between homes" right now, so I'm looking forward to the day I can garden again.