Breakfast (I am desperate!)

Options

Replies

• ZekeandKyliesMom
    ZekeandKyliesMom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    On Sundays, I make "egg muffins" and then they are good for the week. You can freeze them too.

4 whole eggs, 4 egg whites, beaten
    1-2 tsp. seasoning salt of your choice
    1/2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
    Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.
    chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)
    diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage

Add seasoning to eggs, and beat them. Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a muffin tin (6 large muffins) with cooking spray. Layer the meat, vegetables and cheese, then top with equal amounts of the beaten egg mixture.

Bake 20-30 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Longer if frozen. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. I microwave them for about 60 seconds on medium, then 30 seconds on high. But microwaves vary, so you'll have to test yours.

I love these on the go. I pop it in the microwave while I'm getting my coffee ready and run out the door. I keep cans of V8 around too, so I'll have that with V8 and my coffee in the car.

That is a really neat idea! I am saving this!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I've been eating zone bars a few days a week. They really help me stay full during the day. I also like strawberry yogurt with granola. On the weekends I like to make some scrambled egg whites, turkey bacon and either low cal pancakes or toast. Bagles (or beagles as my 2 year old calls them) with cream cheese or peanut butter and some fruit is good.
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    how about just buying some of those Protein bars (there are tons of brands) and the all you have to do is roll out of bed, grab your coffee and protein bar and then go! =)

That is right up my ally! Do you have any favorites you would recommend?

I eat the Nature Valley crunchy bars almost every morning. The peanut butter ones are my favorite, but they have other flavors like oats and honey and maple and brown sugar, maybe even almond. They are not protein bars, but they are good. 200 cals I think and you get 2 crunchy bars. I leave a box at work.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I start work early, and have very little time in the morning. I found that before this, I was shoving breakfast in my mouth and not enjoying it anyway. So, I do a can of slimfast in the am. Its fast and cheap. I get it at sam's 30 cans for 20 dollars. I would not say delicious... but for me breakfast is just maintenance and I am not a big fan of a lot of the protein bars out there.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I second the protein bar. Just stay away from any "fiber bars" or any bar that has a lot of chicory root, you will be very "musical" all day after eating one. Ask me how I know.
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    ZekeandKyliesMom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I second the protein bar. Just stay away from any "fiber bars" or any bar that has a lot of chicory root, you will be very "musical" all day after eating one. Ask me how I know.

I have heard that but never had that problem. Its kinda funny though.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot - once in a while I'll have the chocolate Instant Breakfast Essentials - chocolate milk in the morning isn't so bad :)

For bars I like the Clif Mojo peanut butter pretzel, Luna lemon zest, and for more calories, Clif cool mint chocolate or carrot cake..
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is going to be your very best option in getting what you want! Keep working on it, you can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    whole wheat waffles, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana...protein and good carbs and fat or oatmeal with a banana and cinnamon. Don't forget milk either!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If you like protein bars (different brands/flavors)...there are alot out there ;)
    I like the luna bars, clif bars (there is one called clif mojo dipped choc peanut..yum!)
    I just recently tried the atkins endulge carmel nut chew bar (tastes similar to a snickers bar w/alot less cal.)

You could also try a protein shake (Special K or Jillian Michaels are good) & a pc of fruit for breakfast

Sometimes I like whole wheat waffles spread w/peanut butter & sliced bananas on them...yum ;)
  • sgiacherio
    Options
    Making breakfast sandwiches on Sundays is a great idea!

I also like a smoothie in the summer time and us nightowl/non morning people can make it the night before. The recipe I use is:

1 cup OJ
    1 cup frozen fruit
    1 banana (or greek yogurt)
    1 scoop whey protein (usually vanilla)

Hard boiled eggs are great for fast and on the go as well.
  • ehodges1982
    ehodges1982 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast bar is Special K strawberry fruit crisps. It tastes like a strawberry poptart. They also have blueberry. Not bad @ 100 calories.
  • nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    On Sundays, I make "egg muffins" and then they are good for the week. You can freeze them too.

1/2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
    chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)

Add seasoning to eggs, and beat them. Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a muffin tin (6 large muffins) with cooking spray. Layer the meat, vegetables and cheese, then top with equal amounts of the beaten egg mixture.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Longer if frozen. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. I microwave them for about 60 seconds on medium, then 30 seconds on high. But microwaves vary, so you'll have to test yours.

I love these on the go. I pop it in the microwave while I'm getting my coffee ready and run out the door. I keep cans of V8 around too, so I'll have that with V8 and my coffee in the car.
  • shawny519
    shawny519 Posts: 20
    Options
    Fiber 1 or grape nuts cereal and low fat milk would be quick, easy, and a great start for your day.
  • heathally
    heathally Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I take an instant oatmeal and drinkable yogurt (Danactive) to work every morning. about 4 of us do the same. We heat the oatmeal and water up in a coffee mug in the microwave. Just watch it until you know just how long to leave it in, it will boil over the sides which is terrible to clean up!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is really great and filling breakfast. It's low fat and gives you lots of energy. I ahve kids and it takes me time to get everyone going so having an easy breakfast is a must for me. So for oatmeal, I cook a whole batch for the week on SUnday nights and portion it in 5 portions so I just grab it and go. Sometimes I throw in nuts for some added texture.

You can also make egg muffins ahead of time.

5 egg whites with 1 whole egg
    sautee your favorite veggies in Pam--bell peppers mushrooms spinach etc

spray muffin pan with Pam
    pour beaten eggs in muffin pan
    fill each muffin with veggies

back 10-15 min

I freeze these or keep them in the fridge.

They're easy to heat up or just eat cold.

Hope this helps...good luck to you.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options

TOO FUNNY!!! I just posted this same thing. HEE HEE Must be a good thing!! :laugh:
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Vitatops and Vitamuffins are great. 100 calories and loaded with good stuff and fiber. I get mine at Target.
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like parfaits in the morning because they fill me up but don't make me feel sluggish or weighed down. I divide a tub of vanilla yogurt into smaller tupperwares and add cut up strawberries and/or blueberries. I usually make enough tupperwares full for at least a few days at a time. In the morning, I just add some granola and eat it in the car on the way to work/ school.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just saw an idea yesterday that was really intended for kids but I thought it would be a good idea to make for "on the go" mornings.
    1/2 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter spread
    4 whole wheat or regular flour tortillas (8 to 10 inch)
    1/4 cup honey
    2 small bananas, sliced
    1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, if desired
    1. Spread 2 tablespoons of the peanut butter evenly over each tortilla. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the honey over each tortilla. Top with banana slices and chocolate chips.
    2. Roll up tortillas. Secure with toothpicks.

It says it's 410 Calories but if I were to make this, I would think half a wrap would be plenty!