new to mfp (again) - and I'm starving!

Options
I understand lowering my calories, upping my cardio, doing some weight training...all that good stuff. I've been working out 5 days a week for 3 months and not the smallest change. so it's got to be my diet, and here I am trying to fix it. But I have to be honest, I'm miserable. I'm hungry all the time, no matter how well I follow the "rules" of eating frequent small meals, protein, etc. I go to bed miserable because I'm still hungry after all of my meals. And I'm eating quite a bit according to mfp, but for me it's much less than usual.

Replies

• shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm new to My Fitness Pal too! :) The only weight loss thing that worked for me was calorie counting and working out 5-6 days a week. I'm usually on the treadmill for an hour (the free motion machine says I'm burning between 750-900 calories, who knows how accurate it is). I definitely find it beneficial to calorie count.... I'm a bit obsessed with it, but it's worked and I've already met my goal! Now it's just maintaining and not gaining! :)
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can see what you are eating
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    Are you watching your red meat intake? Do you drink your calories? I try and stay away from drinks that have calories - I stick to water, diet soda, flavored water....
  • shopgirl192
    Options
    How do you unlock the food diary?
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat ? If you under eat fat you will feel hungry
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    Have you tried making smoothies with protein powder? I actually use a slimfast add some tofu and fruit. I have that at night after working out and it keeps me full through the night!!
  • hutche
    hutche Posts: 6
    Options
    Eat lean protein with every meal.
    Tuna, hard boiled eggs, turkey, cottage cheese are all fantastic 'snacks'. Combine this with a hundred grams of celery and carrot and you've got yourself a very filling 'in between meal'.

Make sure you're eating your exercise calories back. If you don't - no wonder you're hating life right now.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Setting, diary settings then open
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Share your daily food diary and maybe others can make suggestions on what you are eating vs how much...you can friend me if you want to :)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If your still hungry try eating oatmeal for your last snack thats what I do you can use it when your hungry instead of popcorn,fiber bars etc and not the wimpy instant in the individual. Real stick to the rib oatmeal
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You must not be eating enough, or not eating the right things. If you are eating a healthy diet and the right types of food, then you should not be starving. I don't know what your eating, but fiber rich foods help you feel fuller and for longer.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I was kind of in the same boat as you when you started. People can give you all sorts of advice as to what to eat to make you feel full and whatnot but it isn't the same for everyone. My advice: tough it out! You're stomach will shrink (especially if you're eating enough according to MFP which is significantly less than you were) and you won't be as hungry.

That's what happened for me. I felt STARVING for the first two weeks, and now I'm fairly satisfied throughout the day. There is an adjustment period that you have to tough out. And it may take longer for you!

Don't get discouraged yet :smile:
  • sara21
    sara21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking a lot of water also. Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Drink a full glass of water before meals.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I know some folks swear by the 5-6 small meals thing.
    I gotta tell you it didn't work for me. @ 1200 calories that's only 200 calories a pop. I never got un-hungry.

Once, I went for the 3 300-350 calorie meals and used what was left over for snacks, what a relief it was.

And some folks swear by drinking a bazillion glasses of water. (I keep in mind something a nutritionist told me 1 cup for every 25 lbs of body weight. & I refuse to stress over hitting that.)

Watch your sugar intake.
    Sugars and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.
    If I have a DIET COKE, no way I can stay under 1200 cal.
    More foods now than ever before have hidden sugars in them and are sold as "real foods"
    If I'm going to eat the sugar I want a cookie, gosh darn it!

I've also read about folks "zig - zagging" their calories. This I seemed to do naturally and worked out fine for me.
    I would do 2-3 days at 1200 cal then a day at 1400-1500 cal (on my high days I just made sure I stayed under the maintenance calories for my GOAL Weight)

Good Luck,
  • ekmbradley1982
    Options
    I only drink water and occasionally coffee with fatfree/sugarfree creamer
  • precious71701
    Options
    Try drinking some teas, maybe artificial sweetner if you have to have the sugar effect...find some snacks you like...I read that apples turn to zero calories after digestion...don't know how true that is but how can you go wrong with apples...I felt hungry for about the first 3 days...now I'm okay...Im also drinking more water...I force myself to do that.,,,go to your food diary setting and change it from private to public...good luck
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    I've got to agree with Sarah....water -- and lots of it! It will help keep your tummy feeling full. And there IS an adjustment period while your stomach shrinks. When you feel like you're "starving", stick it out about 20-30 minutes. This is the worst time -- the time when we cave in and head for the fridge. The hunger sensation will pass after that time period.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    Have you tried making smoothies with protein powder? I actually use a slimfast add some tofu and fruit. I have that at night after working out and it keeps me full through the night!!

slim fast has never kept me full for more than 2 hours.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Judging by your diary it seems you don't cook a lot of meals. What is your weekly goal in terms of losing weight?
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    It does look to me like you are eating a lot of sugar.
    That really increase your appetite (artificial sweeteners too)

You can add one more category to track. Pick sugar at least for a week or so and see if you feel a difference when you reduce

(I get 25g of sugar a day. that's about 1 yogurt.
    I see you've got yogurt (22-28g) Slim Fast shake (18g) Banana (14g)
    Watch sugar in Lean Cuisine some are okay, but some are really high.
    My favorite cookies have 9g for 15 cookies I use that as a reference point)