Downsides to sugar free jello?

Options
So this has became my staple snack - only 20 calories per cup, no sugar and only a tiny bit of sodium.

Anyone know of any downsides?

Replies

• delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of would be the artificial sweeteners that they add to it. I do like to have it every now & then as well, but I try to limit my intake of those "fake sugars" as I like to call them. It is hard to not have them since food companies insist on adding them into everything that is labeled sugar free!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    More flavor availability? lol :tongue:
  • rryll
    rryll Posts: 3
    Options
    Fake sugar--it is terrible for you.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    The only thing I can think of would be the artificial sweeteners that they add to it. I do like to have it every now & then as well, but I try to limit my intake of those "fake sugars" as I like to call them. It is hard to not have them since food companies insist on adding them into everything that is labeled sugar free!
    Yeah I have been cutting that out too. I read an article that said it is basically a "toxin" that the liver has to clean from your body, and while it is busy doing that, it isn't working on burning fat. The jello is now about all I have with the artificial sweeteners.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think the only two options for sugar free jello are aspartame and splenda, both of which are detrimental if consumed on a regular basis. I'd avoid eating it frequently. Also some sugar free jello still contains maltodextrin which can adversely affect diabetics.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    just the fact that it jiggles. it weirds me out :P
  • boofa88
    boofa88 Posts: 15
    Options
    technically, science hasn't proven any detrimental effects of artificial seeteners in humans, although we still don't know there effects long term. One study showed that people who consumed diet soda (containing aspartame) every day, actually put on more weight due to overcompensating with calories - when your body senses it's eating something, especially something sweet, it may release insulin --> decrease in blood sugar. when blood sugar goes down you get more hungry and eat more at your next meal. however you can counteract this just by watching cals and make sure you dont overcompensate!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    just the fact that it jiggles. it weirds me out :P
    That's what my wife says too, but she still makes it for me :)
  • aeckels616
    Options
    Here's a series of articles on artificial sweeteners (including studies on humans) if you're interested.

http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/article.htm
  • acmcoc
    acmcoc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So if it's not good for you, what do you guys eat for a sweet snack. I love jello!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's full of chemicals Honestly I stay away from low fat and low sugar stuff. I'd rather eat the real thing in moderation.
  • aeckels616
    Options
    I eat berries with low-cal whipped cream. or perhaps some peanut butter with an apple, though that's harrdly low cal.