Having problems eating enough

JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
Now that I'm working out more, I find that almost every day lately my net is below 1200. I know I need to up my calorie intake and I'm trying (my biggest thing is I need to eat a bigger breakfast) but I just can't eat more at a meal, I get full on a single serving now that i feel sick if I try and cram more into my stomach.

How do you make sure that you are eating enough calories so your net is in the safe range?

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    I have the same problem, I just can't seem to eat enough! I get full really fast, like right now, I have over 800 calories left, but I am not hungry at all.
  • Try doing juices or smoothies - sometimes it's easier to consume liquid calories than solid. And, if you eat a lot of low-fat or fat-free stuff, switch it to the regular, higher calorie versions.
  • Have you tried eating 6 times a day 1/6 ish of your calories each time. Comes out to about every 2 1/2 hours. It makes your metabolism insane.
  • ejcross
    ejcross Posts: 2 Member
    Snack! I was having that problem, so I added an apple or orange every couple of hours.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Yea! Try drinking your calories, a big protein shake with milk is my favorite!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    I think a lot of us need to just look at food as the fuel that we need. For example, you take your vitamins (I hope) not because they taste good, but because it's just the fuel that you need. Unless of course it's flintstones vitamins which are delicious, and if you eat the whole box, makes your pee glow in the dark.... not that I know this from experience.

Anyway - the other thing is, if you're under your calories every once in a while, don't even worry about it. A large deficit from time to time is great. If it's every day - address it! Maybe start with a bigger breakfast first thing up. My old normal breakfast was a 750 calorie omelet for exactly that reason, because I didn't want a huge calorie deficit to make up at the end of the day.

I'm sleeping in 3.............2...............1................

Goodnight!
  • Jackie0127
    Jackie0127 Posts: 71 Member
    Well, someone told ne that I could drink my calories instead of eating them if I can't eat anymore. For example, have your breakfast with a smoothie, and add some some protein powder. It'll boost you calories, and proteins. You could also make one for a post work out drink. I make mine with strawberry, banana, organic soy milk (I don't like the regular one) and the protein powder (I use Muscle Milk chocolate powder) add lots of ice and it's done.

Hope it helps! :smile:
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    I ate 1333 of my 1900 calories today and then burned 1400, so I netted -95. I cannot possibly put anything else in my body today or I will puke.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Check out my food diary and you'll see how! :happy: A good filling, high calorie breakfast for me (if I had time) would be Kashi or Fiber One cereal with 2% milk and a scrambled egg, or if I don't have time for the egg I'll do a piece of whole wheat toast and PB for extra protein to fill me up and last through class in the morning. Lunch is typically some type of chicken and veggies with rice or possibly as a panini on bread with spinach and mushrooms. I've been eating a snack of pistachios and always have a protein shake or bar immediately after I work out and usually something at work or something when I get home or nothing at all. The last couple weeks is pretty close to how I want to be eating ... I need to tweak a few more things but have a look!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    I was having the same problem until 2 days ago when I started using a heart rate monitor to track my workouts. Turns out MFP was WAY overestimating what I actually burned! I was logging as accurately as I could but the calories it was giving me were way out of balance with what the HRM said I actually burned.

Listen to your body, it knows you better than MFP.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    I eat every 2 hours to stay at my proper net calories. I have trouble eating a lot at the same time too, and If i get too full, i start feeling really guilty =/

I hope this helps
  • hutche
    hutche Posts: 6
    Try eating more nuts... they are extremely healthy and pack a hefty calorific punch...

30g almonds = nearly 200 calories... healthy fats, calcium, protein.

Natural peanut butter (no salt/sugar added) is also great for you, and tastes delicious.
  • I'm just getting started and I'm not eating enough calories in a day, but I'm not hungry most of the time. I work out quit a bit in a day, so I want to make sure I'm eating enough to lose the weight, and I have a long way to go, I could use some advice.

LaShall.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    I'm having the same problem. I'm scared to eat a bigger breakfast (plus I don't like the idea of eating breakfast at all in the first place). I hoard my calories until dinner. Then I get too busy with my family to get around to eating. Next thing I know I'm trying to get 500 calories in me before I fall asleep. I eat until I'm stuffed. And I'm still not breaking 1200 a day!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Sometimes I drink some milk or have a serving of icecream as a treat or eat popcorn. Also, I put more butter and cheese on things when I have more calories. Woohoo! Butter! Cheese! Yess!
This discussion has been closed.