Is to much protein a bad thing?

Options
I always find myself eating to much protein almost everyday. Is this going to reduce the amount of weight loss?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you consuming and what do you consider too much.

What's your height / weight and body fat?
  • frugal2
    frugal2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anything bad about too much protein alone. If you're only eating protein and it's causing you to not get enough other nutrient like fiber...maybe. I've heard some say that protein is harder for your liver to process, but i've never read anything concrete on it.
  • tonykozak
    tonykozak Posts: 14
    Options
    no....not a bad thing depending on total calorie intake. if it is a significantly large amount,,,,it is a waste, because a body can normally only process about 80 grams per sitting......but is better to do that than go over on the total fat intake for the day. hope this helps
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine, don't even worry about it.
  • megganwinland
    Options
    I weigh 170lbs and I am 5'8 I'm taking in anywhere between 15-20g to much everyday.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    actually too much protein can cause kidney problems and a study by Nurses Health shows that too much protein in women can actually leech calcium from your bones if you do not get enough calcium in your diet.

sources

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    no....not a bad thing depending on total calorie intake. if it is a significantly large amount,,,,it is a waste, because a body can normally only process about 80 grams per sitting......but is better to do that than go over on the total fat intake for the day. hope this helps

So if I eat all my protein in <30min for the day (230g) I am going to lose all my muscles since I only absorb 80g of it ????
  • mkennedym
    Options
    20 grams probably isn't a huge deal but i'd read some health studies on protein intake if you keep up eating too much protein and find out what the long term effects could possibly be and what the threshold (how much over) is for protein intake before it becomes unhealthy.
  • megganwinland
    Options
    well i will just watch my protein intake a little more... and try to stay as close to the recommended daily intake as possible.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    20 grams probably isn't a huge deal but i'd read some health studies on protein intake if you keep up eating too much protein and find out what the long term effects could possibly be and what the threshold (how much over) is for protein intake before it becomes unhealthy.

I would love a link to the research.
  • bamagirl2020
    Options
    I was wondering the same exact thing earlier. I've tried searching on the internet but it seems every website I go to has a different opinion. I go over on protein EVERY day. Today I went over by 50 but I still stayed under my calorie, carb, and fat limits.
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    Too much protein can put additional stress on your liver and kidneys while they try to expel the waste produsts but unless you were eating way too much or have a kidney/liver condition I wouldn't worry too much about an extra 20g or so. Rule of thumb is about 1g per lb of body weight (i think that is right? Somebody please correct me if im not - I still have run head on!). Just make sure you have plenty of water to help flush you out. I love protein after my workouts and god knows my poor muscles need it and the calcium and carbs from the milk with it! Happy training!
  • RiiNaCHiiCK09
    RiiNaCHiiCK09 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    protein helps u build muscle!!! dnt worry bout it. if u were eating like 100s over ur recommend protein intake, that might be bad. Oh nd if u work out a lot, its sooo fine to eat lots of protein. they dnt make protein shakes for nothing!
  • megganwinland
    Options
    well I tend to workout 2-3 hours 5 nights a week so I guess ima be fine thanks everyone for all this great information!
  • spiritcrusher
    Options
    Some of the responses in this thread are flat out wrong. This thread comes up daily.

1) Protein is the only macronutrient that is near impossible to turn into fat without pathways provided by excessive carbohydrates.

2) MFP has a very low default % for protein

3) Excessive amounts of protein is no where near 15-20g or even 60g.

There is no legitimate study that shows that high protein intake causes kidney damage. In fact, a quick webmd / google search will show multiple case studies with group studies on protein intake. No one had impaired kidney function.
  • Ida13
    Ida13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get my daily recommended protein allowance in! Normally not even halfway! I changed my nutritional goals to those percentages for a high oxidizer (which I am, and apparently most women are).

Maybe you're not having too much. Find out which type of oxidizer you are (google it ) and then go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm to work out exact amounts of grams based on percentages and your calorie goal.

I know my result really pushed up my protein allowance, and now I'm struggling, while my carbs are ALWAYS over! There are carbs in damn everything!
  • triannataylor
    Options
    I'm in healthcare and I can tell you all the evidence points to NOT going over your recommended protein. You can actually go into renal failure and die from too many protein shakes (okay, this is a little melodramatic but seriously it can happen!!).
  • RiiNaCHiiCK09
    RiiNaCHiiCK09 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm in healthcare and I can tell you all the evidence points to NOT going over your recommended protein. You can actually go into renal failure and die from too many protein shakes (okay, this is a little melodramatic but seriously it can happen!!).

it can happen buuuuut MFP lowers protein intake by a lot. And if ur in healthcare, i think u cud kno we need protein to help rebuild muscle after working it out. Goibg over by just a few isn't going to hurt. Maybe if you eat chicken for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that might be bad but not just going over by 100 or less...
  • spiritcrusher
    Options

No offense but being in healthcare doesn't mean anything and your post is pure nonsense. Even a nutritionist will tell you that.

Unless a person already has kidney problems or is prone to them, going over your protein will NEVER cause renal failure.

There are case studies all over the web, some that prove that even 3g per lb of protein did not cause any changes in kidney function compared to those who took .7g per lb.

I do 200g~ daily, and up to 350g when I bulk and I get my bloodwork done every 6 months. I've never had any changes in kidney function.

I've also been drinking 2-3 protein shakes a day for the last 2 years.

There's even more info that the Daily Reference Values that the FDA provides for protein is the bare minimum.
  • mkennedym
    Options
    Some of the responses in this thread are flat out wrong. This thread comes up daily.

1) Protein is the only macronutrient that is near impossible to turn into fat without pathways provided by excessive carbohydrates.

2) MFP has a very low default % for protein

3) Excessive amounts of protein is no where near 15-20g or even 60g.

There is no legitimate study that shows that high protein intake causes kidney damage. In fact, a quick webmd / google search will show multiple case studies with group studies on protein intake. No one had impaired kidney function.

you shouldn't rely too heavily on google or webmd.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847

or you can use lexis nexis and search health databases for actual abstracts from medical journals. too much protein can weaken your liver and kidneys.