Any shift workers out there?

Options
Hi, I am new and looking for motivation/ suggestion from other shift workers out there. I find it hard to keep a regular 'breakfast / lunch / dinner' routine with shift work.

I have lost most of the weight I want to lose before joining (only a few pounds here and there to go) but I am keen to maintain and eat some healthier foods.

I work in a factory with three shift types, day , afternoon and night. We have a little lunch room with a fridge, sandwich toaster and a microwave.

The day shift is easy because I get breakky in the morning, take a salad for lunch and have tea at home. It also gives me time to whip up lunch for the next day.

Afternoon shift is confusing because we don't finish till 2am and I sleep in a bit the next morning and forget breakfast.

Night shift is hard because we do a week at a time and I just get sleepy and confused and graze 24 hours a day.... I also crave fried food. Normally on night shift my weight goes up a little bit but I can work that back off easily.

Anyone out there in the same boat? Does anyone have any recipies that I can try to cook up to take to night shift - something that will stop me sending someone out to get fast food for me!!

Replies

• bankchick83
    Options
    ya, i work a weird shift work... i work noon-8:30pm... i completely agree, it totally screws with you! i tend to want to eat before i leave, right after i get to work, later, towards the end of my shift, and then again when i get home.... it also makes me less able to get out and do anything since i get home so late, and dont seem to have the time in the morning, unless i want to wake up first thing (ya right!!! i LOVE my sleep).
  • mouser3
    mouser3 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there I also work shift work, but rather then the three shifts I just work the midnights and days cause we run on 12hr shifts. I find when i'm off if i cook up a bunch of meals and put them in containers for the week keeps me from driving anywhere for that late night "meal" or eating something unhealthy out of the vending machine! really not a whole lot of help but hope it helps.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I go for the frozen stuff...right now I am on a zucchini souffle kick but lean cuisines do the trick too. I also try to keep instant oatmeal on hand in the fruity flavors and only have to avoid the pizza/ jack in the box/ chocolate goodies for about 20-30 minutes....after that they are all gone. I also like fruit punch crystal light powder sprinkled over the crushed ice...I don't ever log that but there may be a few calories, not many. I do best packing my lunch though....not much healthy stuff in the ER on the weekends!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I work 8pm-8am, 3 days on then 3 days off. It's really hard for me to figure out the best way to log in my food entries. I tend to want to count what I eat when I'm working as the next day, but the trouble with that is when my first day off comes up, that day is already used up. I would also like any suggestions ya'll could offer me.
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    shift work past 16 years. Right now I work 10pm to 7:30 AM 8 days staright, then get 6 days off. Was great for a while, no day care for my daughter, whose now turning 16. Plus its like a vacation every other week. Problem is your tire all the time. never enough sleep. My eating shedule is all screwed up. just when you get things back to normal on your final day off, its back to the night shift again. nothing like getting out of a nice warm bed and going into work while everythings dark. Oh well, at least no traffic.