help with exercise routine, pls

Options
Back in Decemember I tore my ACL and two other ligaments in my knee sking. Luckily, I didn't gain much excess weight. I am still going through physical therapy and I have about 4 more months of that. In physical therapy, my focus is all on my knee. I need to stregnthen it and at the moment I'm not supposed to run or do any excercise that would strain my knee too much. I can't even bicycle unless its on a machine. Most of my weight is carried in my stomach, my arms and legs are toned. I was hoping that someone out there could give me advice on what sort of exercises I can do. :]

Cheers.

Replies

• cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    you can try walking on the treadmill, or working your midsection doing planks in yoga. But other than that you pretty much want to give ur knee time to heal.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Can you swim?
  • 321popZ
    321popZ Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you guys for the replies!

I can't swim fully, I can walk in the water but swimming all the way will put too much strain on my knee.

I have been just walking a lot, and thats pretty much it. I can't do yoga fully, but I will research moves that won't involve much use of the legs.

Thanks so much again :]
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Talk to your physical therapist. I'm sure he/she could help you find something.
  • 321popZ
    321popZ Posts: 6
    Options
    I did talk to my PT about it but they suggested to try to not overstrain the ligaments. Their main focus right now is to ensure my knee is healing properly, but I will be out for at least a year so in the meantime it is also important for me to lose the excess weight.