The "If you bite it, write it" Challenge

Options
This is going to be an accountablity challenge! One thing that I have continued to struggle with all through losing, and now still while maintaining is logging EVERYTHING! I work at a bank and the tellers always have some candy out. I usually don't bother logging in the 1 jolly rancher or 1 bite sized 3 Musketeers bar. This hasn't inhibited me at all, but on the days that I go out of control, I need to be honest about what I put in my mouth.

So who is with me? The Challenge will be for April (so starting tomorrow)--30 total days of complete food honesty. Whether you already do this, or struggle with it like me, let's support each other in being accountable for what we give our bodies. This is probably a little different than other challenges in that the only goal is to log everything, but there should be a few rules:

1) All drinks count (put in your water people!)
2) If you can't get to a computer or phone app for a day/meal, log it the next day
3) No Judging!
4)If you go out/order out, do the best you can to log the individual things you ate. If nothing else, guesstimate a "quick calorie" amount and list the meal in the notes section
5) Be honest!

We can use the thread to discuss struggles, new things learned, ask questions, etc.

Feel free to log it all today (please do, in fact) <I won't be since I'll be out for food today, and the 30 days will be a struggle enough :blushing: See why I need this?!?:grumble: > But we will officially start tomorrow.

If you bite it, write it!

Replies

• gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    I'll do the challenge! I have found it very helpful to keep a food diary. I originally thought I would NEVER need a food diary, but I eat so much better now than I ever did before.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'll do it too!
    I have a white board in my room and every morning I set a goal for the day whether it be a workout goal or cleaning and I'll just add this to it as a reminder, LOG EVERYTHING YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH =D
    We all can do this, it's hard, but we can. I keep a piece of paper and pen with me at all times too so I should be able to write every little thing down, I just am usually ashamed for eatting it and skip and call that a cheat day. -.-
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have been logging everything since I started 30 days ago. If I eat even 1 or 2 grams of something, i have to log that. It shocked me how much that adds up to. Those were the things I did not pay attention to before when dieting: "oh its just one small bite, I'm not going to count that." Wow, they really add up, and only now do I realize that. Now I know why it was so hard to lose weight before!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Any other takers??:wink:
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty good at doing this since I started 1/2/11. It honestly has been the only thing that has kept my discipline, knowing that I will have to log it and see it reflected on my calorie intake. The only deviation is a weekend night when I have a few cocktails, I either lose track of how many or I'm ashamed of how many calories I have actually consumed--true confessions! Other than that, I log everything, no matter how big or small, so I'm in!
  • SamanthaSteg
    SamanthaSteg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've noticed the days that I don't log are the days I eat the things I shouldn't be...this should be interesting!
  • girlruns
    Options
    I'm in! I've noticed the days that I don't log are the days I eat the things I shouldn't be...this should be interesting!

Same here!
  • brysanch102
    brysanch102 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it, which has been huge for me :-) I've been doing p90X and I didnt start seeing real results until I logged everything I ate, it's been great because I'm actually accountable for what I eat and I can still plan things I want to have and still make sure I don't go over on my calorie intake.
  • SamanthaSteg
    SamanthaSteg Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I made rice krispie treats for my kids today and ate the little bit that was left on the spoon completely forgetting about this challenge! I still logged that little bit though
  • girlruns
    Options
    Happy 1st day of the challenge all!

I've got my food all planned out for the day, as long as I stick to my dinner plan, I should be good! Found myself actually measuring my breakfast this morning--I know I'm pretty good at judging things (especially cereal) but figured why not make today super accurate?

I also had my few days of high calorie/sodium days catch up with me, so I'm dropping calories and increasing water for a bit til I get back on track.

Happy Friday, and try not to get "fooled"! :wink:
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I need some accountability as well! This weekend is gonna be tough since there will be A LOT of eating out... or other people cooking for me... but I'll do what I can. Something is better than nothing (definitely DID NOT log what i ate at the hockey game last night... boo). Also... always looking for new and exciting... yet easy and cheap food ideas! help! :)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    In.
  • girlruns
    Options
    I need some accountability as well! This weekend is gonna be tough since there will be A LOT of eating out... or other people cooking for me... but I'll do what I can. Something is better than nothing (definitely DID NOT log what i ate at the hockey game last night... boo). Also... always looking for new and exciting... yet easy and cheap food ideas! help! :)

I know what you mean. My husband and I are doing dinner and a show, and I have no idea where we are going to eat since it is in another town. But I am going to at least write what I ate even if I can't get the calories.

What are you looking for as far as food ideas go?
  • amydanell
    amydanell Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm in as well! I enjoy logging my food. I need all the help I can get. I just don't want to see a two in my weight anymore.
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is a very good challenge! I absolutely know that this is why I have not seen progress (and actually gained a lb or 2 back) lately. I'm in :)
  • amcmillan730
    Options

I know what you mean. My husband and I are doing dinner and a show, and I have no idea where we are going to eat since it is in another town. But I am going to at least write what I ate even if I can't get the calories.

What are you looking for as far as food ideas go?

anything that doesn't involve peas or lima beans! haha. mainly lunch and dinner ideas.
  • girlruns
    Options
    So I hope everyone had a great weekend! I personally found the challenge tough over the weekend. My husband and I went out to a local restaurant in an unfamiliar town, followed by a show with drinks. Had an awesome time, but I have no idea how close my tracking was on numbers. I do know though, that I at least put in everything!
  • amcmillan730
    Options
    So I hope everyone had a great weekend! I personally found the challenge tough over the weekend. My husband and I went out to a local restaurant in an unfamiliar town, followed by a show with drinks. Had an awesome time, but I have no idea how close my tracking was on numbers. I do know though, that I at least put in everything!

Same here! better to track something than nothing :)
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am in, I usually dont log my weekends but I know I should be. I will start today.
  • Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like having the app on my Blackberry. I always have my phone with me so it's easy. I usually log snacks before I eat them - it's like planning ahead, so you know when to stop!

Things I do not track:
    1-2 tsp honey in tea
    5 cal lemonade
    spray butter