are we sometimes congratulating people for undereating? Loo

Options

Replies

• amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    Orrrrrr you could leave those people alone and let them diet the way they please.
    That is a very valid option as well. But, isn't the point of having friends on here not only to encourage you in your healthy choices, but to also give advice as to how to get rid of your unhealthy choices? If you want people to leave you alone and let you diet how you please, then don't friend anyone. If you friend people, they are going to comment, and it might not always be what you want to hear.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 900 calories.
    You don't need 2000 calories. I mean if you eat that much, don't even complain about not losing weight because DUH.

As for working out, how are you going to tone up if you don't?

There are reasons why people who consume LESS than 1200 calories are under constant supervision OF A DOCTOR! Your body under those types of circumstances could very literally give out on you. That just isnt healthy...
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Orrrrrr you could leave those people alone and let them diet the way they please.
    That is a very valid option as well. But, isn't the point of having friends on here not only to encourage you in your healthy choices, but to also give advice as to how to get rid of your unhealthy choices? If you want people to leave you alone and let you diet how you please, then don't friend anyone. If you friend people, they are going to comment, and it might not always be what you want to hear.

LOL! Love it
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Also...I try to keep it real and honest and log my workouts. SOme days my heart rate is going and I have energy and I kick butt.
    Other days I am tired and short on time and I try to keep the discipline of doing something, but it is not always a "great" workout.

I wish we were able to add commentary about how we feel about our own workouts - lol. SOmetimes people write "great burn" or WTG - and it is sooooooooooooo cool of them because I know that they are in my corner. BUT sometimes I feel like telling them "the truth is that I was a lazy *kitten* today and only got my heart rate up to 112 today and barely broke a sweat" - or whatever.

Actually, you can just either note for yourself on the exercise tab, or make a comment underneath your work out "summary" that shows up. That's what I do.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I rarely leave a comment on those diary updates. I definitely leave positive comments on friends' status updates about burning cals with exercise, and weight loss, but not usually on their food diaries.

If I look at their diary for the day, and it impresses me with good healthy food choices, I might comment, but not otherwise. Unless of course someone specifically asks my opinion. In that case I will give it, and not feel like I'm being intrusive. Some people on here like to give unsolicited advice and/or criticism.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I never tell my friends "good job" for being under thair calorie goals. I personally do not believe in calorie goals. I believe in fueling my body...satisfying physical hunger whenever it comes. I don't know if the person honored their body by being under their calorie goal or not. I don't know if they honored their body by going over their goal either. It is just too personal to comment on in my opinion.

I do say "Great job" or "way to go" for ANY workout....because we all have good days and bad days but if you moved on a bad day, good for you!! There are days I don't feel like my workout was my best but I got there and I did what I could do and I like the feedback when it comes because sometimes it is just hard to make myself do it.

There have been days when I've commented on my own workout....saying I just had a hard time doing it. Today was the first time I counted cleaning house as a workout....because I am spring cleaning and doing really heavy work I don't normally do. There are people who would judge me for counting that but I don't care. This is my journey....through my entire life....and the choices are mine.
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    I never tell my friends "good job" for being under thair calorie goals. I personally do not believe in calorie goals. I believe in fueling my body...satisfying physical hunger whenever it comes. I don't know if the person honored their body by being under their calorie goal or not. I don't know if they honored their body by going over their goal either. It is just too personal to comment on in my opinion.

I do say "Great job" or "way to go" for ANY workout....because we all have good days and bad days but if you moved on a bad day, good for you!! There are days I don't feel like my workout was my best but I got there and I did what I could do and I like the feedback when it comes because sometimes it is just hard to make myself do it.

There have been days when I've commented on my own workout....saying I just had a hard time doing it. Today was the first time I counted cleaning house as a workout....because I am spring cleaning and doing really heavy work I don't normally do. There are people who would judge me for counting that but I don't care. This is my journey....through my entire life....and the choices are mine.
    Those are some good thoughts, Lexie! See what I mean about needing your wisdom? ;) Now I don't feel so bad about counting my heavy cleaning as a workout either! lol
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The whole point of having friends on here is for an accountability factor and the fact that people by nature are social creatures. I agree with OP.. I'm not going to stand by and say WTG if you had one glass of water today or if your goal was 1950 calories and you don't at least make it to 1800.. I realize no one including myself is perfect, but you at least have to try. I give encouragement to those who need it, and admonishment (gently) to those who aren't trying.. I want people to challenge me and my way of thinking.

Great post and for the most part great follow up comments!

Always looking for new friends! Feel free to send me an add! Beware, I do read all diaries and choices before commenting! Make me say something nice!
  • eedwards0820
    Options
    I love that it tells me that I am not eating enough. The first time I worked my butt hard in a workout I shed a little over 900 calories and when I logged my activity in it said, "You may be putting your body in starvation...don't do this"...ok so I'm paraphrasing a bit. :) The thing is, I looked at that and said, "Yay". I felt hungry but didn't want to waste my workout. This showed me that I wasn't going to and didn't have to starve myself to get the results I want. MFP helps you set an adjusted calorie intake already based on your loss goal....if you are cutting it too short, then maybe you need to look at your goals again.

Lexie, keeping up with you has been my new goal. :) That, and getting enough sleep so I can meet you at the gym in the mornings.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks amjmomma and Erin for your comments. It helps to have encouraging friends both in real life and at MFP :)
    Someone commented that the reason for having friends is for accountability. I respectfully disagree. I am accountable to myself. I am the one that will reap the benefits or suffer the consequences. I have friends on here to share enthusiasm and encouragement and to be able to get opinions/advice from people I repsect.

amj in my world EVERYTHING counts....especially when I was first starting out just doing a 15 min walk at a slow pace was a major undertaking. Since I don't worry about whether or not to meet an arbitrary calorie goal (like eating calories "earned" for exercise) I don't have to worry about whether or not I am sabatoging my efforts. I'm glad you feelbetter about couting your cleaning. keep up the good work!
  • jaxnmouse
    Options
    I am not an expert or doctor, but I believe I read somewhere that if you eat less than your daily recommened calories for weight loss (ideal calorie intake - 500 calories to lose 1 lb per week) that your body actually stores fat rather than burns it. So when you under-eat and workout like crazy, then you are just starving your body (bones, hair, immune system, etc. are compromised); thus, your body knows this and stores fat so that it has energy to run on later. I would much rather weigh 130 and be physically fit with tight abs, etc. than to be super skinny and look like someone could break me. Just so everyone knows that I am not being disrespectful when I say that; I have been on both sides of the scale weighing 105 (seeing every rib and spinal bone) during and shortly after my divorce, to weighing 137 after dealing with thyroid problems for 2 years. Now I have thyroid under control and I'm pretty much over the loss of my marriage I feel I can get back to my normal healthy weight (115-120) and frame of mind ( I'm weighing 129 today). And if later on when I start to build muscle, if I weigh more than my ideal weight, that would be okay with me...muscle is good!

Being a healthy physically and mentally should be the goal, not the actual number on the scale.
  • eugene1987
    eugene1987 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I have been trying to stay under each day - I constantly forget that the goal calories already are set for me to lose. I have been losing like 2 pounds a week and loving it, but I need to watch my body composition now and make sure I don't starve myself. I really haven't been hungry, though. I just eat a litte, but often.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    I wish we were able to add commentary about how we feel about our own workouts - lol.

I've "commented" on my own posts to add more info...

Thank you for posting; I too have thought the same thing and but wasn't sure of the posting etiquette.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it any better myself, and if any of you feel the same way, please shoot me a friend request!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I agree. Unde-eating can be just as bad as over eating, and maybe even worse, depending on the circumstance.

So well said!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I agree big time. If someone under ate, I just don't comment. And If they seem like they're ok with it, I say something. Esp. if it's a pattern. Optimal health, not quick fix..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    While I understand what you are saying, for some people, myself included, we practice intermittent fasting. There is nothing harmful about that (in my case it is Eat Stop Eat) as a 24 hour fast will not slow your metabolism and actually will speed it up a small amount. On those one or two days my calories eaten will be way below my goal. Not only that, I will workout those days just as hard as I do any other day. There is nothing unhealthy or dangerous about that, and I appreciate encouragement when I do that as much as I appreciate it every other day.
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing I dont eat on the weekends and every other weekday my calories are pretty low and no day do I go over 1000. Am I losing weight? YES! am I healthy? YES! Everyone in diff
  • Clovergirl17
    Options
    There's an option in your food and exercise diary for notes -- it's at the bottom of the page. Maybe you can log those things there if you want? That way when people look they'll see it too.

I just really wanted to say that I really liked your signature. I love the idea that you set yourself little mini-goals and reward yourself! I will definitely have to do that to help keep myself motivated! Thanks for the great idea! :)
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What a great post! When I first started I was under my calories but only because I wasn't hungry. I would eat a yo plait yogurt with only 100 calories for lunch and outside of milk with breakfast only drank water. It took me time to find the right foods that would give me higher calories while staying healthy at the same time.

For myself I don't read into the "you will weigh. . . In five weeks." Because im content losing my 2 lbs every week! But I can totally see why someone would read that and eat less. One day I was sick and only ate 500 calories I was told if everyday was like today you would less twenty lbs less in 5 weeks rather than my normal ten.
    If I was at a plateau I may think wow I should always eat that much or I guess I should say less.

Anyway that's just my rambles for the night.