Breastfeeding moms trying to lose weight--caloirie consumpti

Options
I am a new mom trying to lose weight and also trying to figure out the right amount of calories to consume to lose weight but not so much that it will interfere with my milk supply. Any suggestions, advice, etc...would be greatly appreciated!!:happy:

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Lucky you!!! It's going to be so easy for you to lose weight while you breast feed. I've heard it burns up to 4000 calories per day!!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

First let me say that I am not a mother. I am a horse person and used to breed mares. We actually up the grain rations for nursing mares.

Honestly, I would just worry about feeding your child and not worry about trying to lose weight. Just the beast feeding alone will help your womb contract and help slim your belly. And your body needs calories to produce the milk.. I would consult your OB/GYN on this matter and not a forum where most of us are not a MD.
  • pierce184
    Options
    Not sure I can really be of help, but I thought I'd reply just for support! Keep in mind that your burning 600 calories a day just by breastfeeding your baby. Obviously, this will change as the baby grows, but it takes more calories to feed the baby now that he/she is born than it did when the baby was growing in your belly. So, if you can exclusively breastfeed, then that will help tremendously. Also, I love your wrap. That can burn lots of calories and is great for bonding with your newborn, not to mention just getting stuff done!
    You didn't say if you were a first time mom or not, but I thought just these two pieces of information might be nice to hear. I'm breastfeeding my son (my third child), and I'm chasing around the others so I put that I was really active to take breastfeeding into account for my calorie count.
    A total guess for calorie consumption would be 1800-2000, but that's a guess. In my mind, it matters more what types of foods (fruits and veggies versus processed junk) than anything else.
    Just my two cents. Good luck!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I find this very confusing and actually posted a thread about this yesterday (with no replies! lol.)

If you are exclusively breastfeeding, the body burns an average of 300 - 500 extra calories per day just from producing milk.

Try to eat healthy, balanced meals! You're going to most likely be hungrier because your body is working hard at producing milk for your little one.

This is an awesome, informative source: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is an excellent question. First, if you really do need to lose weight, please do not listen to people who say that safe, slow, and steady weight loss will interfere with your milk production. I lost my baby weight in four months and did not experience any change in my milk. My daugther (now five months old) is super healthy and growing like a weed!

Things to keep in mind:
    - Eat balanced meals! Eat lots of veggies!
    - Make sure you get enough protein and calcium!
    - Make sure that you add between 300 and 500 calories to your daily calorie amount. Your body is burning energy to make that good milk for your little one!
    - I wouldn't set your goals to lose more than a pound a week. Slow and steady is best!
    - Do not feel scared to exercise. It will not harm your production and it releases endorphins, which make you a happier and better mom!

My suggestion is to go through MF to set your weight lose goals. Then, either add breastfeeding as a food (it is in the database and will subtract calories from your daily total) or as an exercise.

Hope that helped. Feel free to add me if you want support from another breastfeeding mom! Best of luck!!
  • KeikoAnne79
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response. It is very helpful and actually exactly what i was looking for as far as tips, advice, etc...also, I had no idea that "breastfeeding" is included in the database on MFP. I will definitely add you as a friend because I could use the support from other moms. Happy Friday!
  • melissapoulin
    Options
    so i just wanted to add for you to make sure you are drinking even more fluids... like water, than you would normally be. it is easy to become dehydrated when breastfeeding. an extra 300 - 500 calories a day is about right. but once your baby begins solid foods you don't need to worry about adding in all those extra calries. by this time your body has become accustomed to the whole supply and demand thing, and your baby will start to nurse less as well. this is what my doctor told me when i asked her. i am a breastfeeding mom of twins, and when i started this whole losing weight thing my twins were 7 months old. (when my doc gave me this advice). congrats on the baby, and good luck to you! ps walking is an awsome exercise with a baby. pop em in the stroller and away you go. when they are still small, they will most likely sleep the whole time. exercise for you, fresh air for the baby. win win. plus the fresh air helps them sleep better.
  • KeikoAnne79
    Options
    Thank you!