30 DS

Options
Do you do this 30 in a row or maybe take a day off here and there? For the past two nights I have done level one and my legs are KILLING me! I have to hold on to the railing when I go down the steps. Going to the gym 4 nights a week for the past 2 months has never caused this type of soreness! Is it bad to take a day or two off as long as you complete 30 days of the shred?

Replies

• Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    When I was doing it, I tried to randomize and do 2 levels per workout. I did that 3 days a week in addition to walking 7 days.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I'm trying not to take any breaks but if you're that sore I would suggest some simple yoga moves to stretch yourself out and take a rest day. Helped me when I started my step class (OW MY CALVES) and then again when I over did it on squats (100+ when I usually only do 10, inner thighs were screaming and I was bow-legged all day...)

Good luck and don't feel guilty!! Keeping yourself from getting injured is your #1 priority, or else you'll be taking a much longer break than a day! =]
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 30 DS...last night!! i did not miss a day.....your legs will get better!! I promise....after day one I could barely walk!!!
  • kfortenberry89
    Options
    I know the feeling!!! The pain starts to ease after a few days...or maybe I just became numb? lol I had to take a few days break due to an ankle injury, I honestly wish I would've pushed through it though! Getting started again is rough...I am sooo tempted to say "oh, one more night of rest won't hurt, I'll start again tomorrow." Seriously though, if you need a break, take it! You can only push your body so far:) All of us 30DS-ers know the pain you're going through...it's totally worth it though!!! I lost 12 inches (total) after only a few days, Jillian promises results for your pain & suffering...she definately delivers!!!
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    My legs were sore about a week I could barely climb stairs or lift my legs. I take a few days off between each week. Results will still come. Listen to your body not what everyone else says or does. Eventually you will be able to do it without pain. When it Burns you know u are doing it right. what I felt was straight torture but the inches are still shedding!! Good luck to u!
  • KELM0710
    KELM0710 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    when I first started I took a day off at the beginning becuase i was sooo out of shape. Maybe like the other people said do some more simple exercises than the shred if you are really sore and then go back to it the next day. I have missed a few days so it will take me longer but if my body says to go slow i listen. lol :)
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6. I wondered the same thing because my legs were killing me after day two as well. I kept going, though, and it got better. She's right - you do start to notice your endurance going up. :happy:
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I did 3 weeks straight of lvl 1 and then 10 day of lvl 2 and 10 days of lvl 3 without taking a day off. You will get better. Make sure you are wearing your shoes! I just finished my 2nd round of all 3 lvl's great workout and I do extra cardio too.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TAKE A DAY OFF! When i first started the 30DS i could barely walk down the stairs, but the next few workouts helped a lot...
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    I hear that 30 DS is quite the killer for kicking bottom!! I haven't tried it but started Jillian's Ripped 30 last night and only could get through 10 minutes (as I had done about 90 minutes of walking beforehand). I was aching this morning. Hang in there and I too believe that you need to do some stretching and warming up! The nice thing about a dvd, is you do what you can and turn it off and do what you can the next time. Build it up and extend your time exercising a little bit each day. Best of luck! Stay healthy!
  • fattybumchum22
    fattybumchum22 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    do u use weights ? Im not if i should or not? i didnt today but still found doing the strength exercises hard!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I do use the weights - whatever she says to do, I do! LOL.
    For all of you who said to keep pushing through it, man you are troopers! I pushed through it last night and did fine, I just don't want to do anything bad by pushing myself.
  • amazingmummy
    amazingmummy Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Do you do this 30 in a row or maybe take a day off here and there? For the past two nights I have done level one and my legs are KILLING me! I have to hold on to the railing when I go down the steps. Going to the gym 4 nights a week for the past 2 months has never caused this type of soreness! Is it bad to take a day or two off as long as you complete 30 days of the shred?
    I am only on day 7. So not an expert. But if i was that sore, I would take a day off. when your body is sore its performance goes down. you just don't want to do the workout, you want to do it at your maximum effort and with control. but i see there are varied opinions on this. Do what feels right for you. But do not give up.
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well I agree .... IF you can push through it then do so, IF not take a day break .... it won't kill you ... rest up and keep it going. The key is not to take excessive breaks and to do it everyday. Your body will get use to it. Good Luck.
  • michelca
    michelca Posts: 41
    Options
    I do it in intervals: one day on, one day off. I'm too scared of injuring myself. The maximum number of times anyone should exercise in a week (excluding cardio) is 4-5. That's for professional athletes. I think you should listen to your body, and if it's screaming at you, take a day off. It allows the muscle to heal, and for you to be able to work through the pain that will be worse on day three :D
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I remember Jillian saying on the Ripped in 30 DVD to do the exercises 5-6 days a week. She recommended 1 day off a week, I assume, for recovery. Recovery is key. With that being said, I'm on Day 3 of Ripped in 30. I'm also meeting with a personal trainer at the gym 3x a week, Turbo Jam 2x a week (for my cardio days), and will soon replace Turbo Jam with TurboFire (6 days/wk). I doubt I'll be able to do the full program without taking at least 1 recovery day. The soreness will hit you, but you'll push through it. The strength you'll gain will be one of the BEST rewards!

Weights: I tried Ripped in 30 using 2lb weights on Day 1 and was able to do the entire workout. For Day 2, I used 5 lb weights and needed to do fewer reps than the girls on screen. I'm definitely feeling the soreness from it all. That's the good stuff!
  • cocoavery20
    Options
    Take a few days off, just for those day's off you should try walking and WITHOUT second thought eating super super healthy, so all that hard work doesn't go to waste!