Just felt like Running

Options
I am going to start running tonight. I have lost 23 pounds and I feel like I am ready. Does anyone have any good tips? I am a little nervous.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Start very very slow. The first km will be hard, but if you stick at it it gets easier once you get past that.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for proper shoes first and foremost. This will prevent painful injury's down the line. And, no this isn't necessiary expensive. Tell the running store your budget or have them fit you with the shoe but purchase it online for cheaper. Then just head out...

*eee*, im so excited for you! Running is awesome :-)

I also suggest that you sign up for a 5k in 3 or 4 months to have something to look forward to. Runnersworld.com and the couch to 5k program are very helpful when you are just starting out.

Best of luck!

p.s. my blog has lots of running related entrys, feel free to read for motivation!
  • cayzweaver
    cayzweaver Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    iTunes has a thing called MotionTrax for your iPod, free downloads and one of them is a walk/run program. It's a little over 30 minutes long and after a warmup walk, cues you to walk for 30 seconds then run for 30 seconds. I'm trying it and love it so far!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If this is a Forrest Gump quote, I love you. lol
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Mini-goals! Don't go outside and expect to be able run a 5k right off the bat. If you want to do that distance that's fine, but make sure you do intervals of walking, jogging and running. If you do too much too soon you can hurt yourself which can put you off of it. If you start out slow and build up at a steady pace over the next few weeks you'll wonder how you ever lived without running. It's a wonderful wonderful thing. Lots of luck and HAVE FUN!!!

P.S. I also agree with Aggie about good shoes. Having poor running shoes is another good way to hurt yourself.
  • tlnester
    tlnester Posts: 34
    Options
    I started out by doing intervals..walk 2 minutes, jog for 3, etc. until you build up where you can run without stopping. This worked great for me. I now do 3-5 miles a day. Best of luck to you!!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options

That's the first thought I had as well, when reading the title.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Google Couch to 5k for a progressive walk/jog plan that will increase your stamina over time.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Do a good warm up with some quick walking and then start your jog. Just take it nice and slow at first. Set a goal of either distance or time and go for it. Don't forget your water! Happy Trails!! :o)
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    mix walking and jogging to start, and ipod:smile:
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Good shoes (I love my Brooks- $100 but worth every penny). Stretch a lot (before and after). Have your tunes (my ipod shuffle is my running mate). And start with intervals. And don't get discouraged easily- you'll get sore and tired, but it'll get easier. And it feels amazing! I "suffer" all winter on my elliptical machine till the weather is nice enough for me to run like a mad woman in the great outdoors :)
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just started Couch to 5K this week and I've never ever been a runner... I really like it so far! I felt the exact same way... I just decided I wanna be a runner. Never felt like that before.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Load up your iPod with songs that make you feel empowered. Songs that give you that "kinda wanna get up and dance with your hands in the air" feeling are usually good running songs. For me, a good playlist is essential during a run and can make the difference between wanting to push for that extra mile or feeling lIke I'm going to die with every step.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options

That's the first thought I had as well, when reading the title.

Ditto!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I started out by doing intervals..walk 2 minutes, jog for 3, etc. until you build up where you can run without stopping. This worked great for me. I now do 3-5 miles a day. Best of luck to you!!

That is exactly what I did when I started: that's also what the Couch to 5k program advocates. Even if you feel like you can keep going, don't. That's a great way to hurt yourself!!

I started running about 2 and half years ago and I love it!! I have another 10 miler coming up on Sunday!
  • chelsyka
    chelsyka Posts: 1
    Options
    Get a very good bra! And take you phone in case you need Joe to come pick you up;)
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

It totally is, I cannot think of running with out that quote going through my head or call someone Jenny with out hearing him say it in my head.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I did it and felt great. Thanks for all the great advice. I had a friend help me. She had been where I am at now. She had me do 4 minutes running and 1 minutes walking. I got a cramp and she had me stretching. By mile three I started feeling sick, so walked the rest of the way. I felt great when we were done. I will have the iPod loaded the times when I go by myself.

I will try the Motion Trax, is it an ap?

Thanks again for the support.
  • cayzweaver
    cayzweaver Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's on itunes. I have a Droid and I don't know if it's an app on there or not. I'm not very techy! I just put it on my Pod. Good luck!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    proper running shoes!!! most important thing of all

I absolutely love my kswiss tubes. Amazing to run in and not that expensive