The people who are losing weight are not eating their exerci

Options
124»

Replies

• Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'll give you my personal experience and hopefully I can give you some answers to help you. Everybodys body is different. This is what works for me....not for everybody. For me I stick to 1200-1300 calories and workout 4 to 6 x a week, with usually a 500- 800 calorie burn. I cannot possibly eat all my calories but if you listen to your body and feel hungry it's probaly because you really need those extra calories, I will eat them but it's always a HIGH protein snack like greek yogurt plain add i add a scoop of protein powder or cinnamon with vanilla and truvia ....Low sodium sliced turkey breast...handful of raw almonds ....tablespoon or organic peanut butter (organic because it has much less sugar), cottage cheese....just a couple of ideas .....FYI things with high sugar or high sodium cause you to bloat and will cause you to have massive cravings feeling hungry all the time ...I tried the whole eating my caories back for a month and I stopped losing, as soon as i went back to the way I was taught by my personal trainer, I don't know why I questioned HER as she is a professional, I started losing immediatley. Its really like a science project, you have to figure out what YOUR body needs to lose weight healthy. Too much sugar will absolutely stop weightloss. Not drinking enough water and too much sodium. ...I never have cravings or feel hungry. I eat every three hours and drink a ton of water. The recommendations on MFP for protein is way too low. I eat about 100 to 135 grams of protein a day. I get my protein from all those snacks I mentioned earlier. I have a protein shake in the morning for breakfast and protein shake after my workout. You can add oatmeal, to your protein shakes to help get more fiber. ground golden flax, wheatgerm or just buy some plain fiber powder. Try to get at least 20 grams of protein for every meal and fiber. This will crush your cravings and hunger. The protein powder is great cuz you can add it to anything. Like your oatmeal for breakfast, greek yogurt.( i buy 6 grams of less sugar only) or just make a shake buy added ice. I only eat 24 grams a sugar a day. I try to stickl to 2000 miligrams of sodium ....Are you drinking at least 80 oz of water? My trainer said to drink half of what you weigh. So if your 150lbs you dirnk 75 oz of water. If you drink anything caffinated beverage that actually is a diarectic and so you must drink another 8 oz of water to get it back. When working out you should drink 8 oz water 1 hour before and of course after. You've probaly sweat out a ton of your water so you need to replace it. If your not drinking enough water this too will cause cravings and bloating and totally prevents weightloss.. I also make sure I eat high protein shake after my workouts....Well, tha'ts all I can think of right now. I hope I've given you some kind of answers to help you. REmember the most important thing is listening to your body!! God bless

Everything she said is the same for me! Listen to this woman!!
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat my exercise calories but because I'm pretty overweight and my body can stand to have such a deficit. I imagine once I get more fit I'll need more calories and I'd adjust along the way. I don't buy into the idea that if you don't eat your exercise calories you won't lose weight, period. That's not possible otherwise starving people around the world would be fat. I think it's better to say that it's 'healthier' for you to eat your exercise calories and is beneficial to your body, mind and spirit.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight, and I do eat back most of my exercise calories. I try not to eat all of them, since I'm using the MFP estimates and don't want to overestimate, but I definitely try and make sure I net at least 1200 daily
  • meredith414
    Options
    That's been my experience. My weight loss stalls if I eat my exercise calories back.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    It is all in what you eat, you said you still eat sugar, I bet you eat grains too, like flour, in the form of bread. Cut that stuff out, add more protein and fat to your diet and the hunger goes away.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight not eating back your exercise calories but what you are losing more of is lean muscle mass. This makes your metabolism slow down and you have to eat less. But you hit a certain point of eating less and it starts to have a detrimental effect on the body inside and you won't even realize it's happening.

I didn't always eat my exercise calories back but I did my best to keep my NET calories above 1200. My 10lb was the 'last 10' and I lost 8 before switching over to strength/resistance training. I'm building muscle which is increasing my metabolism.

Months of diet and cardio and I lost nothing on my tummy. A few weeks of weights (and push ups, pull downs, lunges and squats!) I have lost a 1/2" on my waist and 2mm on the abdominal caliper measurement. And I'm eating like crazy!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    I've been doing this weight loss Challenge since the first week of February. I have lost 23 lbs so far. At first I had my calories at 1550... then down to 1450 and now at 1350. I never eat my exercise calories back unless it's on the weekend usually for a treat.

I have lost between 1 and 3 pounds weekly... and I feel like I"m always eating as it is.

I guess it's really just a matter of how your body is working. Try not to be discouraged, you just need to adjust your foods sometimes to suit your body.

Hang in there girly.
    Jo:flowerforyou:

and you will have to keep dropping the calories to continue to lose weight. This is because you are losing muscle mass and your metabolism is slowing down. You will hit a point where your body will say no more and it will start to affect your health. If you're exercising it will be even worse. Your BMR is what your body needs just for systems and organs to function. If you eat below that for too long it will hurt you. Eat at least your BMR and on days you exercise eat your BMR and your exercise calories
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I lost 15.5 kilo eating my exercise cals. I stopped for a few weeks and guess what happened. Yep the scale stopped going down as well. I am now increasing my calories and the scale is moving again.
  • antzlady01
    Options
    I actually think that is the opposite. I havent at my exercise calories and now im stuck. So im going to try my best to eat them and see how it goes. Dont give up hope , I know it can be frustrating.
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    I try to listen to my body. Some days I don't eat any of my exercise calories back because I'm not really hungry. Other days, I gobble them down. I tend to find that working out AFTER dinner helps, because then you're less likely to have a pig out fest after the workout (and will go to sleep instead).

Also, what people have said about eating protein, fiber, water, and filling up on veggies and fruits are all good tricks! Same with lowering salt, carbs, and fat.

That said, I ate like NOTHING last week (massively, massively stressed and no appetite) and didn't lose a pound, so what do I know!...probably best to stick to what the MFP plan tells you :-). GOOD LUCK! Try a bunch of diff things for a few weeks to see what works for you - everyone is different!
  • antzlady01
    Options
    :happy: Great post. I will try to remember your tips. Feel free to friend.me. Thanks
  • jene77
    jene77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Save