help finding ab working without sit-ups/crunches

Options
I have been doing the P90X program but the ab ripper x is a little too much for me and I don't care for doing crunches or sit-ups. I googled around and I know there are a ton of Ab specific workouts without doing sit-ups but there is so much marketing I don't know which one to get. I figured I would ask the people who have actually used something and I trust your judgment over some infomercial. So....please let me know what Ab specific workouts (that don't have crunches/sit-ups) that were good and really worked for you. Thanks!

Replies

• rachyrach1234
    Options
    Pilates
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Planks, side planks, scissors...
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like pilates. Don't know where you are, but Comcast On Demand has a bunch on great pilates and non-crunch workouts.
  • Nomoregut
    Nomoregut Posts: 39
    Options
    Planks and side plank
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Denise Austin's Fat Blasting Yoga DVD has a 15 minute core conditioning with a stability ball segment. I really like it because it doesn't put any strain on my back or neck.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Pushups are great for the abs. Planks are terrific, as well as a variation of the plank where you lift 1 leg 6-8 inches off the floor and hold for 30 seconds (not sure what it's called.) If you have access to a captain's chair, the vertical knee raise is awesome, and as you advance, lift your legs straight out. Killer ab work. If you have dumbbells, side bends are terrific for the obliques. Look for multiple moves that will work the complete core.
  • ll31tCH
    ll31tCH Posts: 16
    Options
    i agree with planks
  • zatknees
    zatknees Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I had to google captains chair - there is something similar in the workout room at my work - you don't lean back on it- you have to hang with your weight on your elbows forearms and then you can do the knee lifts, etc. I never even thought about using it. Thanks for mentioning it - I will start using that now. Maybe start doing some planks during TV time too! I really need to target lower belly more than anything - so I'm thinking that thing at my work will be really good for that.