How long of a rest should you have between sets?

Options
If your working the same muscle group (not a circuit)? Does it depend on if you're doing a lower amount of reps vs. higher? Thx :)

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Everything I've ever read has said 30 seconds between sets.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    In my Men's Health Big Book of Exercises it varies, if you lift heavy weights for short rep your rest time should be longer than if you lift light weights for more repititions. One way to speed up your workout, would be to lift immediately after but choosing a different body part to workout. Say you are doing chest, then use no rest and lift with your back. It's just a tip, I hate long workouts at the gym, so I try to speed it up, I lift lights weights for reps of 15-20.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    If your working the same muscle group (not a circuit)? Does it depend on if you're doing a lower amount of reps vs. higher? Thx :)

Here's a guide they give in the book

1 to 3 reps - 3-5 minutes

4-7 reps - 2-3 minutes

6-12 reps - 1 to 2 minutes

13 reps or more - 1 minute
  • Nomoregut
    Nomoregut Posts: 39
    Options
    I have seen a minute to 3 minutes
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    If you want a great guide, and I know you're a female, but it is called the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises by Adam Campbell. Give's you many different variations on different exercises per muscle group.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Rest long enough for your muscles to recover enough for the next set; when the burning stops, typically between 30 seconds and 3 minutes.

But not so long that your heart rate drops too much.

On heavy weight days I rest for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, light days 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you want a great guide, and I know you're a female, but it is called the Men's Health Big Book of Exercises by Adam Campbell. Give's you many different variations on different exercises per muscle group.
    Thanks so much! :)
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I only use pre-built exercise programs from the pros. They determine how long I should lift for and how long to rest for and how many sets. That takes all the guess work out of doing it yourself.
  • jhardenbergh
    Options
    Thanks so much! :)

No problem, the guy is legit too, his background is fitness director for Men's Health, Masters Degree in Exercise Physiology, and an NSCA certified strength and conditioning coach. He's also appeared on serval television shows, Good Morning America, The Early Show, and VH1