Replies

• scopelk
    scopelk Posts: 43
    Options
    yum
  • SadieAnnL
    SadieAnnL Posts: 17
    Options
    So pleased to have found a diabetic discussion with recipes... please add me as a friend, would love to see more recipes, some sound amazing - would never have thought of using cauliflower as a pizza base or rice for that matter
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Quick & easy substitutes I've found, these will work in almost any recipe:

Spaghetti squash instead of noodles. You can cut it in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, put a little water in the hollow, cover it with plastic wrap, and stick it in the microwave for about six minutes. It steams itself. Use a fork to remove the insides, and it naturally forms long strings just like noodles.

Finely chopped cauliflower instead of rice, for oriental dishes or Loco Moco.

Cream cheese instead of rice in sushi (it's sticky enough to hold the roll together like the rice would; I've tried cauliflower or grated cucumber, but it didn't work quite as well as cream cheese).

In most meatloaf recipes, bread or cracker crumbs are used to keep the loaf from getting too dry. Instead of bread crumbs, add the equivalent amount of grated zucchini. It will perform the same function while reducing the recipe's carb count (and doesn't affect the flavor a bit).

There are a lot of desserts that you can make using flavored protein powder (which comes in chocolate, vanilla and lots of fruit flavors) instead of sugary ingredients. Super-easy treat: just use your choice of protein powder, mix it with water, fill a few small plastic cups (kiddie-size) and stick them in your freezer, each with a spoon or stick stuck in it. Then when you have a sweets craving, grab one of these "popsicles" and enjoy it guilt-free.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Great side dish

Sweet Potato and broccoli mashed together
    with cinnamon and nutmeg
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I saw someone recommend sweet potatoes.. no, no, not for diabetics! WAY too much sugar & starch! That's one of the foods my doctor told me I will probably never eat again if I want to stay healthy.
  • jpw430
    jpw430 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipes are from Joanna Lund's "Diabetic's Healthy Exchanges Cookbook". She also wrote a separate diabetic's dessert cookbook. She wrote many cookbooks, all with her "healthy exchanges" numbers, and ADA exchanges along with calorie/sodium/fat etc. counts. These are all easy recipes, using typical products found at almost all supermarkets. She wrote many themed books (strong bones - emphasis on added calcium to recipes or other ingredients targeting bone health, heart healthy, arthritis... then aimed specifically towards kids, men, family, parties etc.) I think that we have all of her books, probably as many as 40+ cookbooks all with about 150 recipes - most taking all parts of a meal into consideration (veg, salad, soup, dessert, meat or main dish, sides and more). Her books and recipes might remind someone of a church/school/community collection of recipes - but with the recipes made healthier. Example: Grean Bean Casserole, replacing typical Cream of Mush soup with Campbell's Healthy Request version, dried and/or fresh onion instead of Fried Onion but with a light bread crumb topping sprayed with butter spray, skim milk... I am not repeating an entire recipe - but it is very simple, something like half the cals/fat/sodium and honestly we prefer her version to the original. This is often the case.

Amazon typically has many of her books available, and Spark People has a group or forum that is dedicated to her recipes/styles.