EMS or FIRE

This is out there to help those in a life saving position to get healthier through others that share the same hectic schedule. Here to provide encouragement.

Replies

• crykmprs
    crykmprs Posts: 16 Member
    I need help with motivation. As a Paramedic I need to be healthy for my job and right now that is just not happening. I am also worried about back problems that can come from this overweight lifestyle as this is the number one reason we have to get out of this job.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    I'm a dispatcher for both plus police. The schedule and stress can be crazy at times. I work 3rd shift and it took a while to get my eating and exercising on a schedule that worked!
  • crykmprs
    Depending which town or county I am with at the moment depends on my shifts. Right now I am on a rotating three week schedule with 2 other medics. Which includes being in ER from 7a to 7p but being on pager for 7p to 7a. Minimum of a 24 hour shift and sometimes is a 48.
  • MegJo
    We're stuck on 3rd shift until the more vetern dispatchers retire haha - and they're holding on strong! We work 10hour shifts with basically no breaks. We eat at our terminals and typically have to eat very fast for fear of the next call.

Thankfully our terminals can go up and down so we have the choice to sit or stand. I'm envious that you at least get to move and walk around as an EMT! Although I imagine bringing healthy homecooked food from home is tough in that job because you're on the road a lot - must be tempting to just stop and get takeout
  • crykmprs
    Specially the Interfacility transfers. A make it quick type of food run. I have at least cut out soda completly
  • I know the feeling. I am a dispatcher too. Fire and medical. I love my job but it can be hard. It is stressful at times which can lead to emotional eating for me. We had sit/stand pods here and it helps to be able to stand. We even have a mini stair stepper we can do while standing at our desks. We are very fortunate because our bosses allow us one hour of PT a day. If we are on night shift we (the ECC) went in and bought a treadmill to use in here. We can use it during the day too but sometimes it is nice to get out for an hour if we can. Jog in the hills! :) We work 12 hour shifts here. We sit here 11 hours a day and even eat at our desks. I know what you mean as far as having to eat fast :) I eat faster than my Fire Captain boyfriend. LOL!!! And I have gotten good at talking with my mouth full too :)
  • crykmprs
    well i know i have not posted much but i did just register for a 5k step in the right direction right?
  • MegJo
    Of course!!! A very good step...literally!
  • crykmprs
    Opening this Forum up again for other EMS- FIRE- Dispatchers out there to connect wit the rest of us that know what shoes you have to fill
  • fidgekitty
    fidgekitty Posts: 43
    Hi all, I'm new to EMS and am starting up with an ambulance service here in "frontier" Wyoming in a few weeks. I don't think I've been so motivated to get in shape in my life! I really am passionate about the medical field and would like to keep my back in good shape while I pursue this line of work. It's nice to see a support group here for this category. Any tips for the newbie before I start?
  • crykmprs
    This is a good place for support if you can find the friends
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    I take it no Fire, EMS, Police or nurses are looking for a spot to come together for support. Myself i've been on MFP for 3 months. When i started out I weighed 240 lbs, and I'm down to 208, and hope to get down to my goal weight of 195 in the next 3 months. I work as a PreHospital RN on a chase truck (Medic Unit) and work at night so I wasn't eating well or working out. I found myself out of breath after just 45 seconds of CPR, or going up 1 flight of steps.
    I'd like to see more Fire, EMS, Police, and nurses use this site so I'm putting this back out to see if we can jump start this threat.
  • crykmprs
    I got off the wagon for a bit here I am BAck. Paramedic Hospital based full time job with a volunteer Paramedic Chaser when at home.
  • crykmprs
    Okay s year since I posted lets send a shout back out for all responders and dispatchers to join up.
  • crykmprs
    kregerems wrote: »
    I take it no Fire, EMS, Police or nurses are looking for a spot to come together for support. Myself i've been on MFP for 3 months. When i started out I weighed 240 lbs, and I'm down to 208, and hope to get down to my goal weight of 195 in the next 3 months. I work as a PreHospital RN on a chase truck (Medic Unit) and work at night so I wasn't eating well or working out. I found myself out of breath after just 45 seconds of CPR, or going up 1 flight of steps.
    I'd like to see more Fire, EMS, Police, and nurses use this site so I'm putting this back out to see if we can jump start this threat.

Lets Get this Forum up and Running Any First Responders out there?
  • JCarrier1028
    JCarrier1028 Posts: 11 Member
    Paramedic in TN here. Feel free to add me
  • crykmprs
    http://mdcinvite.co/HealthGamesJanuary-Corey-87934

Join me in the Health games challenge it is a six week challenge. I am trying it for the first time at the suggestion of one of our physical therapists.
  • crykmprs
    Not to sound like and advertisement also but Check out the Road ID if you need an identification while exercising. They have a discount for first responders.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Bump for other First Responders, Fire, Police/Security. There is also an 'Official Night Shift Crew' Thread on the chat board, if that helps.
  • crykmprs
    One week in only five to go