1 thing MFP has opened your eyes too

Options
I've done many diets in the past and i was most successful with weight watchers... back in 2002 i lost 35lbs in 5months... but with the points system it didnt say the nutritional value as MFP does when you log your food... I never knew just how much sodium was in thing especially processed foods... this site as really helped me to say away from canned products (i love beans so i still have them once in a while) and i love love love cheese... i have it daily but i stay within my sodium...

what have you guys learned... this can help me learn other valuable information when it comes to food... b/c i clearly am an addict... :)

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    My sodium intake... will be the death of me!! Ahhhh
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    Mfp has taught me that I am not alone they are lit of people who are just as dedicated to bettering themselves as I am!
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    how many calories you actually put in your body in a day
  • Rloral
    Rloral Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Watching all my nutrients, especially my fat grams.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would have to say the amount of sodium in food. I also learned I am stronger mentally than I thought or gave myself credit for.
  • ohletmebeskinny
    Options
    the importance of net calories i.e. eating and burning it afterwards?
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    That I didn't eat enough and that is why I never lost weight!
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    MFP has taught me that just an extra helping here and there (all the time) really will hurt, when it comes to my weight. I could talk myself into anything and justify it before I knew the calorie counts.
  • imagin002
    imagin002 Posts: 32
    Options
    This site has opened my eyes to the fact that IT CAN BE DONE! I really think that this site is why i'm sticking with my weight loss plan. I've done soooooooooo many diets in the past but gave up after seeing some results, but this site has opened my eyes to so many people that were in the same boat that have met their goals! So it's just reinforcement for me that it can be done :)
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    I now understand the whole 'net calories' thing. that it's important to eat the calories you burn!

and how much sodium is in EVERYTHING! Sorting that one out is probably going to be the death of me!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    My sodium intake... will be the death of me!! Ahhhh

Exactly the same thing for me. I am almost MORE concerned about sodium when reading labels than calories. I also find that if I go over in sodium (by a LOT) that I tend to get really, really, really bad headaches. I also know that I am drinking MUCH more water than I used to. And if I DO go over in sodium, I make sure to drink extra water...on top of what I intake daily.

I also learned that I love and value my MFPeeps SOOOOOOO much and know that I could NOT do this without their help and support. With Weight Watchers I got 45 minutes a week of support. Here I get 24/7/365 support and I have made some of the nicest friends. Ones that I would 'hang' with in 'real' life. :heart:
  • darcyrobillard
    Options
    As silly as this may sound it is def the amount of cals I once was taking in. I would always eat a bit of this and a bit of that while cooking. After eating my meal I would sometimes eat what my kids didn't finish on their plates and how this all adds up to keep me from loosing. After I joined MFP I became more in tuned to what I'm taking in and what I'm burning. I must say I absolutely love to log in my exercise and at the end of the day be under my cal goal.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I was only aware of counting calories, now I try my best to keep everything else like (carbs, sodium, etc) in check as well. Thanks My Fitness Pal!
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Some people really don't like to hear how they look good and don't need to lose a pound in our opinions. :blushing: Oooops it was supposta' be a compliment *shrugs* I still feel it is true reguardless of how she sees her self. :heart:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I now know that I can eat a ton of food, without eating a TON of food
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How much I was actually eating before I restricted my calories. Now I plug in stuff to see the calories and it keeps me from eating it.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is your friend, but only in small amounts, and not when you eat a whole pack of 6 double choc muffins! lol

I'm actually not missing it, but am not cutting out on anything. If I want something, I have it - I just make sure its swithin my calorie allowance
  • gvsccr
    gvsccr Posts: 9
    Options
    portion sizes and sodium
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes hands down biggest lesson for me. I used to think that the foods I ate were mostly healthy and did not understand why I was gaining weight. Come to find out I was right about them being mostly good. However that did not matter when I was eating 2-3 portions of everything at each meal.