Losing weight even though not eating exercise calories

Options
The reasons for eating back your exercise calories make sense to me, but I often don't eat back my exercise calories and am doing quite well at losing weight. Is it just because I have so much to lose now and as I reach lower weights then it will become more critical?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think it's more that you don't need to. I don't either.
  • Darrickb
    Darrickb Posts: 27
    Options
    good question I've been curious about that also
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I am sure you will lose weight both ways...

Personally I view exercising as for building muscle and cardiovascular strength only. So I eat properly to fuel an awesome hard hitting workout.

I eat to lose or gain weight. I exercise for gaining strength.

I lose the same amount of weight each week whether don't exercise or do exercise and eat back the calories. But I tell you what, when I eat back the calories and exercise hard I feel so much better.

Good luck!
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think it is (at least for me) going from eating moe than 3000 calories a day and NO physical activity to eating 1300 to 1600 calories a day and doing at least 15 minutes or more of physical activity a day. As I increase my stamina I will need those calories to help increase that intensity.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    It's an argument that seems to come up about once a day here. Most people say they eat about half of them back. Beware MFP exercise cals are not correct by a longshot. It's a peer built database, and there are things like 2,500 calories for "running around doing errands." My average is 4-600 for vigorous hour long workouts, and I'll eat like 300 back. Seems to be working. Good luck!
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    I think you have to figure out what YOUR body responds to and do what's best for YOU. Personally, I have lost weight both ways. But , I have seen a greater loss in inches since I have started using protein shakes after my workout to nourish my muscles, which enables them to burn the fat that is laying on top of them. That's how I "eat" my exercise calories.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It is because you have so much to lose. You would probably lose weight either way, so at this point it probably isn't crucial. However, the more weight you lose, the more imperative it is going to be for you to make sure you are fueling your body sufficiently. If you get into the practice of eating at least SOME of them back now, it will be starting a good habit for later. Besides, the more weight you lose, the less calories you will be allowed, and at some point you might really want or need those calories back. Hope I helped. And good luck!!!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    It's an argument that seems to come up about once a day here. Most people say they eat about half of them back. Beware MFP exercise cals are not correct by a longshot. It's a peer built database, and there are things like 2,500 calories for "running around doing errands." My average is 4-600 for vigorous hour long workouts, and I'll eat like 300 back. Seems to be working. Good luck!
    Thanks - I record my calories based on my HRM with my BMR calories during the time I exercise subtracted. I am usually about a fourth of what MFP says. I will often eat some of the calories back but I don't make a focused attempt to do so. I guess as long as I continue to feel good and lose then why change? If I hit a plateau then I will see what I need to fix. Unless someone can give me a good reason to do something different.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell and some studies back up my experience if your a lot over weight, you will lose weight efficently by cutting down the calories but after a time your body will adapt and your weight loss will plateau and you will become discouraged and start over eating again. Take a look at the article below. The best I can tell you need to eat no less then 20 percent of what it will take to maintain your body weight after you hit a plateau.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/weightplateaus.htm
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I am worried because I cannot get my heart rate monitor to work so I have no idea how many calories I am burning during exercise! Since I don't know how many I'm burning, I am really going at this blind. I could be overeating or undereating. I have no clue. This is especially bad because I don't have a whole lot left to lose.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Most success stories OUTSIDE of MFP don't consist of eating exercise calories. I don't even allow myself the calories MFP sets for me because I have seen nutritionists and dietitians and know where my safe zones are. I have substantial weight to lose as well, but it's definitely working for me and has worked for many many many others. MFP way is strong on this forum though, so I'm sure tons of people will say the opposite of me- what works for them, may not work for us or vice versa. :)
  • dengarrett
    Options
    I don't even allow myself the calories MFP sets for me
    I compute my own calorie target also based on this formula which should yield a loss of two pounds per week assuming I need 20% of my BMR calories for normal daily activities.

(BMR * 1.2) - 1000
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Thanks - actually, I had already read that article.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    it has a lot to do with the amount of weight you have to lose right now. I try to eat at least half of my exercise calories back and most of the time its in the form of a protien shake and fruit. That way i am nourishing my muscles after tearing them down. As you get smaller your weight loss will slow down and it will become crucial to eat back your calories.
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Most success stories OUTSIDE of MFP don't consist of eating exercise calories. I don't even allow myself the calories MFP sets for me because I have seen nutritionists and dietitians and know where my safe zones are. I have substantial weight to lose as well, but it's definitely working for me and has worked for many many many others. MFP way is strong on this forum though, so I'm sure tons of people will say the opposite of me- what works for them, may not work for us or vice versa. :)

i have done it both ways and founfd greater loss when eating back calories.
  • StaceyZombie
    StaceyZombie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging and lost the bulk of my weight, I didn't eat my exercise calories. I had so much to lose and I just wasn't hungry.

Now that I have about 20 lbs to lose, I do eat back most of my calories...If I'm hungry. I'm not going to force-feed myself. I feel like you should do what your body is telling you....if you're hungry, eat. My simple philosophy :0)
  • dengarrett
    Options
    When I first started logging and lost the bulk of my weight, I didn't eat my exercise calories. I had so much to lose and I just wasn't hungry.

Now that I have about 20 lbs to lose, I do eat back most of my calories...If I'm hungry. I'm not going to force-feed myself. I feel like you should do what your body is telling you....if you're hungry, eat. My simple philosophy :0)
    Thanks - this make sense.

btw - You joined 12/2009 and only posted six times and chose this one? I feel honored!
  • maddiex_x
    maddiex_x Posts: 43
    Options
    I completely agree with everything staceygrover said !!
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    Lots of great, level headed advice on this thread! As most have already stated, MFP is just a guide, and it's up to you to find your 'sweet spot'. I have honestly never paid much attention to exercise calories, I just try and make sure I'm eating a reasonable amount, within my goals, and I'm not hungry. 1200 cals worked really well for me until I hit a healthy BMI, then I plateaued and had to eat a little more to get things going again. Just do what feels right for you and make sure your HEALTH comes first at all times!