Foods with shocking amount of calories...?

Options
Any foods you've ran across that you were shocked to realize had either a TON of calories or very little?? I'm curious haha :) For me I find it SHOCKING that these bite size chocolate raspberry sticks contain 170 for 4!!!! They're tiny!!!

Picture of them ---> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pWsnnL1CL._SL500_.jpg

Replies

• Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Twix candy bars. They have the same amount of saturated fat as 12 strips of bacon per one pack (two bars) of twix.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I bought some cookie dough from someone at work who's kid was doing fund raising for their school. The cookies were so delicious hot out of the oven I ate 7 before I looked at the nutritional value. 170 calories a cookie!! :sick: And they were so tiny!! I almost passed out...I had eaten almost a full day's worth of calories. Needless to say, I got those things out of the house immediately.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Humous, avocado, risotto!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    BEWARE salads at restaurants!!! They are a FALSE security of a lower fat food!! Went to dinner w/my fam to celebrate birthdays. My mom got a salad as part of her meal (dressing on the side). We came home to log on MFP but couldn't find the dressing listed. Called the restaurant for nutrition info. 600 CALORIES IN 2oz OF DRESSING ALONE!!!!!! Not to mention the cheese etc that was on the salad itself! We about passed out!!! We had gotten a couple desserts to split between us all that were fewer calories for the whole giant dessert than that little bit of dressing! Do your homework and beware the "healthy" options.
  • SaraMoore88
    SaraMoore88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ate a sandwich at a restaurant called bar louis that I thought was moderately healthy. It had grilled chicken, whole wheat bread, pepperjack cheese, avocado... 1400 calories!!!!! Insane. It taught me to always check calories BEFORE I go out to eat.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    BEWARE salads at restaurants!!! They are a FALSE security of a lower fat food!! Went to dinner w/my fam to celebrate birthdays. My mom got a salad as part of her meal (dressing on the side). We came home to log on MFP but couldn't find the dressing listed. Called the restaurant for nutrition info. 600 CALORIES IN 2oz OF DRESSING ALONE!!!!!! Not to mention the cheese etc that was on the salad itself! We about passed out!!! We had gotten a couple desserts to split between us all that were fewer calories for the whole giant dessert than that little bit of dressing! Do your homework and beware the "healthy" options.

OMG sooo true!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I knew butter wasnt great for you but was amazed at the calorie count for half a stick of butter...ridiculous!! I have not been able to eat butter since.
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    Almost any meal in a restaurant. It amazes me the amount of calories are in some of the dishes.
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    The chocolate chip muffin I ate today...sure I knew it wasn't good, I figured 300 cal maybe even 350. Shockingly is was 600!! OUCH
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Culvers custard. I had a SMALL scoop of the flavor of the day -- 700 calories! I should have shopped around -- I cuold have eaten a much bigger sundae for that.
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was suprised that Kettle Corn only has 100 calories a bag. GOD REALLY DOES LOVE ME <3
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were going to Outback for Valentine's Day, about a week after I started here. I entered my meal before going so I would know exactly how much damage I was doing. We were doing their Valentine's meal deal for some special price. The meal included the bread, a salad with honey mustard, 9 ounce steak, baked potatoe with everything, and half a slice of cheesecake. Oh, and the bloomin' onion appetizer. Total calories (which included only half the bloomin' onion) was a whopping 2500 calories. I about died! Needless to say, I didn't eat all that and got it down to about 1200 (still too much!)

We don't eat out very much at all, but when we do I am sure to count before we go!
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree!! If I go out to a chain restaurant I always look up their info so I can best choose what to eat - OMG!!!! Some meals are over 2000 calories with over 50 grams of fat. Yuck!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how few calories are in anything not smotherd in fat.
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    Mushrooms - 50 calories in 8oz (a whole container). Spinach - 15 calories in 2 cups. Use a little olive oil spray, soften up the mushrooms and a couple of cloves of garlic, then wilt the spinach... giant pile of food, less than a hundred calories.
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    Almost any meal in a restaurant. It amazes me the amount of calories are in some of the dishes.

Totally. It is such a turn off from eating out.
  • mufiey
    mufiey Posts: 38
    Options
    the grilled chicken pasta at chili's bar and grill over 1300 cal ! ! matter of fact almost anything you get at chili's is horribly high in cals only have a few items that are health friendly. the margarita chicken is an excellent choice! oh when you get the appetizers cheese sticks with marinara sauce to dip them in one cheese stick without the sauce is 100cal
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    the grilled chicken pasta at chili's bar and grill over 1300 cal ! ! matter of fact almost anything you get at chili's is horribly high in cals only have a few items that are health friendly. the margarita chicken is an excellent choice! oh when you get the appetizers cheese sticks with marinara sauce to dip them in one cheese stick without the sauce is 100cal

OMG their chiptole chicken crispers things are ridiculous!!!!
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options
    Pie of any kind. I know this is awful but I had two slices of bumbleberry crumble pie for breakfast this morning...it's what everyone else was having...but any time they say there's less that 300 calories in a slice, it's pretty well impossible to cut a slice as small as the one in the nutritional info!

Shelled and seasoned sunflower seeds...570 cals in a small packet! I shudder to think I used to eat a whole one as a midmorning snack at school.

On the other hand...spinach. What's that, like 9 cals in a cup of it?
  • LCardo24
    LCardo24 Posts: 56
    Options
    Quinoa! I read all of these recipes talking about how good it is for you and it is loaded with calories. Not worth it.