Butter or margarine?

Options
Currently I use I can't believe it's not butter! Light. I have been skeptical of margarines lately wondering is this what I should be using(what's healthiest for my family & I)? I was wanting some insight on butter/margarine, what brand and why if anyone could help.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Butter. I HATE margarine! I'd rather not eat.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use Parkay Light Margarine, it's only 60 calories a tablespoon. Butter has a lot more calories and all of those calories are fat. So are the margarine ones but it has no trans fat, which is the worse of the two kinds. It's funny because I made some sweet corn tonight and it was so good I didn't even have to put margarine on it. But I was checking out how bad the margarine was for me too.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I buy organic butter. I don't like all the chemicals and "fake food" in margarine. I only use 1/2 Tbsp. of butter on 1 cup of broccoli, and it taste's great!
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Butter! If it wasn't any good no one would try and imitate it. My trainer told me to eat more fat.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do a search on trans fat, which is basically what margarine is. Butter is a saturated fat, but it is 100% natural. The benefits of a few less calories far outweigh the artery clogging risks.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use butter and olive oil. I do not use margarine and avoid hydrogenated oils as much as I possibly can.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    EatThisNot says::
    Love butter? Then eat it! The fat helps you absorb nutrients from vegetables. 8 Fatty Foods with Health Benefits: http://ow.ly/4rreC
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Do a search on trans fat, which is basically what margarine is. Butter is a saturated fat, but it is 100% natural. The benefits of a few less calories far outweigh the artery clogging risks.

For years you've heard that eating saturated fat is like pouring superglue into your arteries. But the fact is, this forbidden fat actually increases your HDL (good) cholesterol, which helps remove plaque from your artery walls, decreasing your risk of heart disease.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/saturated_fat/#ixzz1IPol0lSM
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Butter. Margarine is made with hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, which are trans fats and are detrimental to your health. Even if they say the product has 0 trans fat, and the ingredient list has hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, it means the item still has trans fat. The only reason they list 0 trans fat on the label, is that companies are allowed to claim they have 0 trans fat in their products if there is less than .5g of trans fat per serving. Therefore, always read the ingredient list, not just the nutrition facts.
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    Butter... because it is the real stuff.
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use I can't Believe spray at times but I also use Brummel & Brown, its made with real yogurt and tastes really good.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Try olive oil or coconut oil.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use butter. I used to be strictly margarine but then I started making recipes from Cooking Light. Most of their recipes use butter so I figured they would know better than anyone!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I use Parkay Light Margarine, it's only 60 calories a tablespoon. Butter has a lot more calories and all of those calories are fat. So are the margarine ones but it has no trans fat, which is the worse of the two kinds.

Actually it is just the opposite. Margarine is a chemically produced producted with hydrogenated oils.... all trans fat. Like another poster said compaines are allowed to say 0 trans fat if it has .5g per serving.

Butter is not bad for you as long as you use it in moderation. A certain amount of saturated fat in your diet is actually a good thing.
  • mjd14
    mjd14 Posts: 1
    Options
    Butter. Sparingly.
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and I use Earth Balance margarine. There is absolutely no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in Earth Balance - the palm fruit oil is what causes it to firm up. Here is the ingredients list for the soy-free version, which is my favorite:

Expeller-pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, canola, safflower and olive), water, contains less than 2% salt, sunflower lecithin, pea protein, natural flavor (derived from corn: no msg, no alcohol, no gluten), lactic acid (non-dairy source), naturally extracted annatto for color.

I am okay with each and every ingredient in this list, so I feel good about buying it and feeding it to my family. Of course, we use it sparingly as a flavor/texture condiment, just like people do with butter.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I see your ingredient list for your Earth Balance margarine. and raise you butters
    Cream, Salt (unless you buy unsalted... then it's even less)

When I need something it's butter, I replaced the shortening in recipes with butter and am in process of replacing even that with olive or hemp oil.
  • apoyser
    apoyser Posts: 35
    Options
    ThanKs everyone I am going to make the switch to butter!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of Brummel and Brown Yogurt Spread for things like buttering toast. I cook with real butter.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I eat butter (one pat per day ... I buy them at Costco) + olive oil + avocado + flaxseed.
    I haven't used margarine in years.