Is yoga really good for you?

Options
I keep hearing that yoga is supposed to do amazing things to your body and really help you tone as well. Yet.. An hour of yoga is only burning like 180 calories?? How is that extremely good for you? If I go to the gym I burn almost like 10 calories per minute.. I just don't see how it can be very beneficial to weight loss. Anyone out there that can help me further understand why it is so good for you. (And don't get me wrong.. I love yoga! I do it like every single day. But, is it really helping me is what I want to know)

Replies

• Ash10Dent
    Ash10Dent Posts: 75
    Options
    You're not burning a lot because you're not running around like a maniac lol. It is very good for you though. You're holding your own body weight so it's great for toning. I love yoga but it kicks my butt and I'm so sore the next day!
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think of it more like light strength and flexibility training. It will help tone you, help you breathe better, relax, and gain some flexibility. It helps you have a better range of motion when doing other activities, improves your posture, etc. In all, I think it's a good companion to cardio and strength training because it will help keep you loosened up and less likely to be injured. It's not a huge calorie burner, but I think it helps keep your body healthy as well as your mind.
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    try bikram yoga. I burn close to 600 cals in a 90 min class...love it!
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's amazing for you!! Get the Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown dvd & watch yourself die! It melt fat & calories!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think of it more like light strength and flexibility training. It will help tone you, help you breathe better, relax, and gain some flexibility. It helps you have a better range of motion when doing other activities, improves your posture, etc. In all, I think it's a good companion to cardio and strength training because it will help keep you loosened up and less likely to be injured. It's not a huge calorie burner, but I think it helps keep your body healthy as well as your mind.

^ This ^
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yes its good for you!!! For one, it is good for the mind. In order to get into those poses and hold you have to clear your mind. You are also using your own body weight to bulid lean muscles and work your core.

You don't burn many calories while weight lifting do you? But that is also good for you, especially in the long run.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that yoga is supposed to do amazing things to your body and really help you tone as well. Yet.. An hour of yoga is only burning like 180 calories?? How is that extremely good for you? If I go to the gym I burn almost like 10 calories per minute.. I just don't see how it can be very beneficial to weight loss. Anyone out there that can help me further understand why it is so good for you. (And don't get me wrong.. I love yoga! I do it like every single day. But, is it really helping me is what I want to know)

I KNOW I burn more than 180 doing than dvd!!!!
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    Yoga is amazing ! I do Yoga, Taebo and Strength Training at home....and than at my gym I do Zumba one night per week, HIp Hop Hustle two nights per week and Strength Training whenever I can in their weight room and through a class called Butz n Gutz.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Different types of yoga require more energy than others. Yoga is good for the body and mind. It helps build flexibility, stamina and strength. Just because you aren't burning what you would doing kickboxing doesn't mean you are not benefiting your over all health
    Inversions, arm balances and sun salutes require a great amount of strength to do. Through practicing religiously you build strength in your core muscles.
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. the different perspectives have calmed me down. i just was a little bit upset when i went to record my fitness lol