losing weight but I don't see it in my pictures..

Options
I've lost 8 lbs. since 3/21/11. I've lost some inches here and there. But when I saw a picture taken of me today, it made me feel horrible. Bad enough to make me binge. I didn't see the 8lbs. that I lost. Why?? Ughh. I hope to have a better day tomorrow and get back on the wagon. I know I shouldn't expect a big difference right away. I was just hoping to see even a tiny difference. Well..that's all I have to say..just venting.

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    They say 10 pounds is when you really start to see a difference. Push through and get those two more pounds and then see what you think.
    Good luck!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    post the pics for others to see...we might be able to see what you can't!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I didn't see any difference in me until I lost 15 lbs...hang in there!
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Think about how you feel, not how you look. Do your clothes feel looser? Do you feel better? All of a sudden it will become apparent that you have lost weight. 8 lbs is great, but consider it is off your whole body, so it is not going to be that obvious yet. KEEP AT IT. I have lost 22 and am just starting to see the difference. But I am not giving up until I reach my goal! :)))
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I didn't see much change until about 15 pounds.

Don't binge, you'll just feel worse.

Drink a ton of water and just stay the course. You can do this. Nothing is instant.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I was looking at myself in the mirror the other day and I see no difference even though others tell me they do. But I keep at it because I know that eventually, I'll see it too.
  • Larry1369
    Larry1369 Posts: 59
    Options
    You're being too hard on yourself.

I can only say if you have put in your measurements when you started. ( I didn't, I now wish I had)

Go by the tale of the tape. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    There are a whole bunch of reasons you may not "see" 8 pounds lost. You can visceral fat that you can't really see disappear unless you have a lot of it. Fat does not come off your body evenly, but in the specific places your body choses. Thus one part could have gotten smaller that does not show on a picture. This is very apparent to me right now since fat is coming off fairly unevenly leaving some odd thin spots right beside fatter spots. Thankfully clothing masks it. Finally, while 8 pounds seems like a lot, it is just a start for you. It looks like about 1/4 of the weight you want to take off, and the total is not huge. When I lost a quarter of the weight I want to lose it was over 20 pounds. That showed, but not as much as the changes do now.

Take this experience as a lesson to yourself. You still are using food to deal with your emotional issues. That means you need to continue to learn other way to deal with that stress than eating. If you keep using food like this, you will find even when you reach your goal, maintaining it will continue to be very difficult. This situation can be a reminder to you that next time you feel down about your weight loss, you should use something else instead of food. Perhaps workout or do something fun that will not have you binging.
  • shorty702
    shorty702 Posts: 57
    Options
    post the pics for others to see...we might be able to see what you can't!

maybe when I do see that difference I'll have the guts to post a b/a pic. thanks anyway.
  • shorty702
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. Sadly, but true I still use food to deal with emotional issues. I will keep at it till I reach my goal and try to find other alternatives to binge eating as well. I will go with how I feel and not how I look to keep me going. And yes, I do measure my self. So, no more picture taking for now until I lose 10-15 lbs. Thanks again y'all! I can do this!
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was really feeling unmotivated recently because I had lost about 11 lbs and took a second set of pictures to compare. I was very disappointed when I compared them and couldn't see any change at all. I really wanted to just give up. Now, I'm so glad that I didn't. Since then I've lost 6 more lbs. I took another set of progress pictures last night, and finally saw a change for myself. It's not huge still but I can definitely tell where my waist is a little more defined and flat.

I just noticed your starting, goal, and current weight. I started out almost exactly where you were, and was at 146 when I started getting depressed because I couldn't see any change. Don't give up, the closer you get to your goal the more you will really start to see a difference. Great job on the first 8 lbs.
  • shorty702
    Options
    Thanks. I'll keep at it and take your story as an inspiration. Even though I gained a pound from yesterday, I'm back on the wagon today. Good luck to you as well!