What is your #1 weight loss tip?

Options
I was just wondering if you had to pick one thing you did that helped you lose weight and get healthy (cuz thats really what its about) what would it be? Also tell me why and how that helped you! Looking to implement new things into my routine and would love your tips.

Replies

• GooneyAngel
    Options
    Fat burning cardio!! I feel much better! Better attitude, more energy and the desire to do the things in life that I love! I had lost interest in doing things like camping, shopping, etc....I now have the energy and desire to enjoy life again! Thanks for asking!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Water....A LOT of water.
  • dcberg00
    dcberg00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... THIS SITE!! For a couple of years, my wife and I have TALKED about getting healthy. We knew what we needed to do, we knew what we needed to eat.

Finding this site, which makes us accountable, has changed our habits. We aren't on a diet... we are making life changes.

THANKS MFP and all of my MFP friends!!

EDIT-- But since we are also talking about fit tips.... drinking of water has been a huge help to us!
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I limit my bread intake to only 2 slices per day - I cut out fizzy drinks (even diet/no sugar ones) - I watch my cheese intake (I have given it up for lent - but not forever - but I could eat it like most people eat chocolate!)
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cardio, Water and WRITING DOWN EVERYTHING YOU EAT.
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    Eating every few hours a snack high in protein so that I don't binge at meal time.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think i would lose a pound instantly if i got my hair cut off!

(i think ill keep that pound for now...but if im plateaued 1 pound away from my target weight it might be necessary....)
  • kristendo
    kristendo Posts: 25
    Options
    Im personally going to try the "not eating after 8" rule!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with increasing my water, to drink only water for a whole week is the norm now....prior to Jan 1 you wouldnt have caught me drinking water but maybe 1-2/week....
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Portion control, not eating in excess and only when necessary (when I am hungry)
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Get the junk food out of the house. If someone else in the family eats it, keep it elsewhere. Reducing temptation helps a lot. The more u eat that stuff, the more you want it. After a week or two I lose my cravings for it.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Recording everything I eat. It is amazing that what I thought was healthy really wasn't. And what I thought wasn't, wasn't really all that bad. It helped me change my habits. I am not on a diet. I am changing my eating habits for life. MFP is great for that.
  • osingirl
    osingirl Posts: 5
    Options
    Not weighing myself everyday. I've quit so many times because I'll do so good for a couple of days and get frustrated if it says I've gained. I know it takes time but stil so frustratinggggg. I lost 10 lbs when I didn't have a scale at the ski resort I worked at for 3 mos and was just being slightly cautious on what I ate.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Make a grocery shopping list, don't buy what isn't on the list even if you 'forgot' to put the ______ on the list until you saw it in the store.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Fierce determination and some goals based on fitness rather than vanity. Losing weight and getting in smaller clothes is fantastic, but I'm more proud that I've gone from lazy lump to a runner, that I've stopped snoring, that my heart and lungs are stronger, etc.

That's why I love running so much. I never ran before. I hated it. But now, I can improve my distance or time every week. Every week, I'm winning against myself, no matter what's going on with the scale.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    :heart: Coconut oil and the EGCG in green tea. :heart:

No joke!

These natural metabolism boosters have helped me, someone with possibly the slowest metab on the planet, lose 26 lbs. since January 1st. They are like magic diet compounds, as far as I'm concerned.

If anyone's interested in learning more, check out my blog about EGCG:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/to-green-tea-or-not-to-green-tea-80721

And the one about coconut oil:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/coconut-oil-10-uses-for-this-miracle-elixir-88556
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My weight loss tip: Eat well 90% of the time and your good to go. The other 10% leaves room for treats. It's worked for me. I eat healthy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then at night have a snack that almost always consists of cool whip. LOL. Good luck!
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Love the tips yall keep em coming!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    patience. whether it's 5 lbs or 200 lbs you need to lose, you didn't gain it over night right? weight loss takes time and I see lots of posts of people wanting fast results and reality sets in and people get fusterated, lose hope, give up. etc. etc.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Count your calories but allow yourself a little room for treats so you dont binge later on.