Not a runner, but want to be and need advice

Options
I have never been much of a runner. Even when I was in my best shape. I really want to start running in marathons. I have a goal to do a relay next year. I need help getting started. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I also have shin splints. Any tips on how to reduce the pain or any kind of fix?

Thank you all so much and remember to think healthy

Replies

• stephc71885
    stephc71885 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    have you checked out a couch to 5 k program? I think it's a great way to introduce yourself to running! also, as far as shin splints go... just make sure you really stretch our your lower legs after a workout. you have to have good shoes, that's the main thing. find a pair that work well for you (i personally like new balance the best). my husband runs marathons and likes the reebok zigtech's. i also have a pair of those and i've never had a single pain in my shins since wearing them. try visiting a local running store. they usually have a treadmill handy and let you try out some shoes. good luck with everything! i am not a runner at all either but was able to work up to a 5k and now i'm hoping to do a 10k in january.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i have a wii fit and do a free run of 20 mintues a day. i started out with 10 mintues and did that for a few weeks till i was comfortable moving it up to 20 min. when the weather warms up here im going to start running outside.. im doing my first race with a friend in november. good luck
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Shin splints in most cases are bad posture or the wrong shoes. I too am in the same boat as you. All of my runner friends, tell me to start training in intervals. For example - walk for 1 minute, then run for 30 seconds, etc.... And gradually increase the time that you are running while keeping the 1 minute rest, until you can run the whole thing. I've done this before and it does work pretty well, but then I had to have surgery again and got derailed. Haven't got started again.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and would be very glad to help you! First, check out Jeff Galloway.com for helpful info. I'll send you a friend request too!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a runner as well. I have made a commitment to myself and a hobby of trying to run/jog. Start by not drinking or eating anything an hour before you start or you will cramp! Trust me lol. Next find a pace that you can control and try your best to control your breathing. When your body tells you to stop, push through it and try to go a little further every time you go running. Something my husband told me "running isn't comfortable". It's true. And one big thing...tell yourself "i will run this mile" or how ever far you wish to achieve in running. It's a big mind game to me. I wish you luck on your running journey!! oh, and one more thing that helps!! Fun music with great beats...you will find a good song will boost you and help you!!
  • ykfarrell
    ykfarrell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner...never had the endurance for it. Last year I decided that I wanted to become a runner. I had heard so much about the Couch to 5K program, so I decided to give it a try. It was amazing! It is an app that you can download onto a smart phone, or I downloaded it as a podcast on my iPod. It is a nine week program that gets you gradually running short intervals up to a full 5k. From there, I just kept adding on myself. It really worked and I am getting ready to run my first half-marathon in May.

Good luck!
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    C25k and GET GOOD SHOES!! Go to a running store where they check your gait and PROPERLY fit you - it is SOO important!!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi, start by walking and jogging and proper fitted trainers :smile:
  • osingirl
    osingirl Posts: 5
    Options
    My number one suggestion is if you're not feelin' it to go running, put on your running clothes and shoes. It gets me amped.
  • laurennn16
    Options
    You probably have shin splints because of your shoes. It is very important to get shoes that fit to how you run. Neutral shoes are a no no! Find a store near you that can watch the way you run so they can get the perfect shoe for you.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    There are endless resources for running. I too was never a runner and even smoked. In 2006, I ran a relay in a marathon (which felt like a whole marathon to me!) The next year I ran the full marathon! I still enjoy running but stick with 1/2 marathons since my joints don't enjoy the longer distance. It's great to have a site like this for support and encouragement. Good luck!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesom, as a lot of people on here agree with! I actually do not enjoy running. I'm doing it to get fit and realize it's something I need to do. I'm doing the couch to 5k and have seen great results. I even had to repeat a few weeks, but just kept going. I think if you are not a "runner" it's important to have a plan. This program gives that to you. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can :laugh:
  • fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is great. Use that. Get new shoes. AND when you finish the Couch to 5K, check out military.com. They have different programs. I have been running 5Ks for a couple of years now and just started a 12 Weeks to !2 Miles program that I printed from military.com.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    Oh and on shin splints, I had them too. I was running too much too soon and didn't have the proper shoes. Invest in good shoes. Running stores can fit you properly. It took me a few styles to get it right. To help relieve pain, ice, stretch and rest! Many people skip the stretch but that is just as important as getting in the miles.
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaGraves2
    MamaGraves2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd week of C2 5K and have signed up for my 1st 5k May 1st.
    I highly recommend the program.
    Good luck!
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to give everyone an update. I did find a pair of shoes. I was recommended, according to the way I run, a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. I have been doing a lot of walking and the shoes have helped with my shins. I started my running today. I decided that I was just going to go out there and run and see what I can do. I ended up running approximately 1.65 miles in 20 minutes. I know I can do this and I am feeling great right now.

Thanks to all.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What is couch to 5k? A video a web site? A book?
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a program that you get download on your smart phone or ipod or you can just follow it from the website. It basically starts you on a 20 minute program 3 times a week where you alternate running and walking. It is working you into being a runner.