Was definately hoping for some Wows yesterday..

Options
I went to see my mom yesterday, who I have not seen since starting this way of living in Feb. I have lost 15 lbs since...and neither her, nor my sister said one word about me losing any weight. My sister knows I have been trying, but mom didnt....sure was hoping for a way to go, you look good, or something,....anything....LOL...its ok though, because I can def tell the difference....

Replies

• wsushocker
    wsushocker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that is definitely a WOW! I have lost 13 lbs in a little over a month and very few have noticed......Oh well, I know and it makes me happy!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You've lost a few more than me, but yeah, my family hasn't noticed yet either. :ohwell: I figure they will sooner or later. I'm going to just keep going. Congrats on your loss so far! :flowerforyou:
  • amyt243
    amyt243 Posts: 5
    Options
    That's a letdown!! I often hope someone will notice, but it doesn't happen much. I'm hoping to get down a bit more and then get some more flattering clothes that I can feel good in. I'm still wearing my old stuff that's baggy and too big now.

I guess it's good we have a forum like this to cheer each other on! Keep up the good work! :wink:
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think you deserve a big wow. congrats on your weight loss. I once lost 70 pounds and my sister never said one word to me about it. Now my mom is another story. She makes the biggest deal out of the slightest thing i do. lol
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Some people just have a hard time being happy for other people, especially when they don't know how to be happy for themselves.

When praise and credit does not come from those people whom we most would like it, we often have to settle and accept it from those who can and are willing.

The main thing is to be happy for yourself - and by the sounds of it you are.

Be very proud of everything you've accomplished because God knows you've earned it!!

Sooooooooo happy for you boobee!!
  • DreaMartinez
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. I understand. I have lost 27 pounds since January and very few people have noticed or commented. And the people who do are ones that know I'm working on it.
    I think you're doing great, keep up the good work!!!
  • ll31tCH
    ll31tCH Posts: 16
    Options
    :smile: i think people shy away from commenting until its a real drastic difference just bc weight is such a sensitive subject
    but awesome job!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 since MFP and 14 lbs total. Besides family that knows I'm trying, nobody else has noticed. It'll be nice when others finally start to see it!
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't let it bother you. Maybe they didntvwant to distract you from continuing with the wow's. Some people stop after they receive recognition.
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    Awe bummer!! Some people just don't care or I think are jealous sometimes!! Don't let it get you down-your doing great!!
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!! I've read that, in general, weight loss isn't obvious to other people until you've lost at least 10% of your starting weight. Since you were around 170 to begin with, you haven't QUITE hit that 10% mark... so cut them some slack and next time you see them I am sure they will notice!! :smile:
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    I know we all want people to notice when we are working so hard to lead and adhere to a healthy way of life. I am a big girl and it took me losing about 25 pounds before people started to notice and make comments to me. I am not sure if you are in the same boat but our journey is all about us and how we feel and what we notice. You are doing a great job and before long you will have people telling you that you you great and asking what you are you doing....etc! Keep up the great work and keep losing!

Kathy
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    aw! sorry to hear about the disappointment.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've lost 124 pounds and hardly get any comments. Lol. I wouldn't worry too much about it; I think people don't feel comfortable saying anything because it implies that you HAD the weight to lose! It's like saying "Wow, you look so pretty today." I try not say that because somebody could take it as meaning that they don't look pretty everyday, you know? :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you are in the same boat but our journey is all about us and how we feel and what we notice.
    Kathy

I agree 100% with Kathy. It's all about you. External praise, while nice, is fleeting. Keep doing what you need to do and the whole world can't help but notice you. :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, it could be that your family doesn't look at you as critically as you look at yourself. :wink:

Among my family members, I don't notice much of a change, because they always look great to me. I love them, and I don't look at them objectively. And that goes the other way, too, because I don't notice if they gain, either.

Plus, I know myself, after 20 pounds, I'm still wearing a lot of the same clothes. So even though my jeans are all droopy-drawers now, I look about the same, unless I put on something form fitting. Same goes for my niece who went from a size 12 to a size 4 before her wedding. I always saw her loose fitting clothes, so I didn't notice she lost so much until I saw her in a cute little strapless cocktail mini-dress for her bridal shower. Then, my eyes popped out of my head! :happy:
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Some people just have a hard time being happy for other people, especially when they don't know how to be happy for themselves.

When praise and credit does not come from those people whom we most would like it, we often have to settle and accept it from those who can and are willing.

The main thing is to be happy for yourself - and by the sounds of it you are.

Be very proud of everything you've accomplished because God knows you've earned it!!

Sooooooooo happy for you boobee!!

My sentiments, exactly...my mother will go out of her way to minimize every one of my accomplishments, even rolling her eyes at the size of the new bathing suit I bought for my water aerobics classes, insisting I HAVE to be a bigger size than 18...ugh

Wow for you! fantastic job, and keep it up!!!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You must feel great!

I have been at this for a while (almost a year) and it is weird who notices and who doesn't. It has been surprising when I have felt like I look so different and have worked so hard and no one says a thing about it. I bothered me a lot at first but I have learned to take it in stride. Biggest lesson here for me has been to do this for myself, learn to validate myself at each step of the way and stop caring what other people think or say. Still working on it but it's getting a little easier.

Also, get yourself some cheerleaders that will always encourage you and notice how well you are doing. My MFP friends have done that for me.
  • DreaMartinez
    Options
    On the other hand, it could be that your family doesn't look at you as critically as you look at yourself. :wink:

Among my family members, I don't notice much of a change, because they always look great to me. I love them, and I don't look at them objectively. And that goes the other way, too, because I don't notice if they gain, either.

Plus, I know myself, after 20 pounds, I'm still wearing a lot of the same clothes. So even though my jeans are all droopy-drawers now, I look about the same, unless I put on something form fitting. Same goes for my niece who went from a size 12 to a size 4 before her wedding. I always saw her loose fitting clothes, so I didn't notice she lost so much until I saw her in a cute little strapless cocktail mini-dress for her bridal shower. Then, my eyes popped out of my head! :happy:

Good points all around! :)