soreness

if you are not sore after a work out does that mean it is not effective?

i get my heart pumping and sweating but lately i havent been sore afterward? does this mean im not working hard enough?

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Get JILLIAN MICHAELS...first thing to make me sore in a long time crazy sore!
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Get JILLIAN MICHAELS...first thing to make me sore in a long time crazy sore!

Same here, but I've been doing it a few days now and am no longer sore after.
    Eventually you'll work up to it and not be sore, then what? I also would like to know about soreness and effectiveness.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Exercise does not have to make you sore or cause pain to work.
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    If you're not sore then your body is just used to the routine you're doing.

Now is the time to switch it up! Start doing a completely different routine for a week or so. When you go back to the old routine you should start feeling sore again :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    I agree that you dont need to be sore to get a good wark out, Because of being in marching badn throughout HS my walking & bike cardio routine dont make me sore but still effectively burn calories & help me loose weight. Well until the shin splints started which I was expecting! So now its off to the eliptical and bike until my shin splints go away
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    if you are not sore after a work out does that mean it is not effective?

i get my heart pumping and sweating but lately i havent been sore afterward? does this mean im not working hard enough?

It likely means your body has gotten used to your workout routine. Trying changing things up with some circuit or interval training.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Agreed with most people, if your goal is to lose weight and get into shape, and your work out routine is no longer making your muscles feel fatigued and sore then it is time to switch it up. Sure you are still gaining some benefit from the exercise in general because you are exercising, but when you consider the fact that your body is getting used to the routine enough that it isn't sore and tired, its better just to switch it up so your body is constantly having to change and avoid that potential plateau altogether.
  • mrswibbs
    mrswibbs Posts: 31
    I definitely think you should at least 'feel' your muscles after a workout...
    If I don't ache the next day then I certainly don't feel I've done my body justice! I've come to almost 'like' the ache and sense of tiredness that comes over me after having worked hard.
    Think you should maybe step thngs up a little, use slightly heavier weights or push yourself a little more.