French Toast!

Options
jquinte4
jquinte4 Posts: 17
I'm a french toast fanatic so yesterday for a yummy breakfast I had french toast made with wheat bread and topped with fresh sliced strawberries, then drizzled with honey. It was fabulous!!!! And I didn't feel as guilty as smothering it in syrup and butter :)

Replies

• supayeena
    supayeena Posts: 16
    Options
    that sounds delicious!!!:tongue:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    yanno i never thought about using my good bread and some egg whites and some sugar free syrup ........ i think i know what im having for dinner now :) thx
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I make this at least once a week!

Individual Baked Berry French Toast Casserole

Spray an oven proof, small pyrex or ceramic dish (individual size-about the size of a cereal bowl) with non-stick spray.
    Mix 2 eggwhites, 1/4 c. FF milk, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1-2 packets Splenda (optional) and "beat" with a fork.
    Take 2 slices whole wheat light bread, break into small pieces and toss thoroughly with egg mixture till all pieces are wet.
    Top with 1/2 c blueberries or a mix of blueberries & raspberries. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve warm with 1/8 c light or sugar free maple syrup.
    Can also be made with diced apples on top.
    217 calories...
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Spray an oven proof, small pyrex or ceramic dish (individual size-about the size of a cereal bowl) with non-stick spray.
    Mix 2 eggwhites, 1/4 c. FF milk, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1-2 packets Splenda (optional) and "beat" with a fork.
    Take 2 slices whole wheat light bread, break into small pieces and toss thoroughly with egg mixture till all pieces are wet.
    Top with 1/2 c blueberries or a mix of blueberries & raspberries. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve warm with 1/8 c light or sugar free maple syrup.
    217 calories...

This sounds really great!
  • nicolenoel
    nicolenoel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Mrs Butterworths sugar free syrup is so delicious!
  • dcjulian
    dcjulian Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Lightened Up Crème Brûlée French Toast

A make-ahead baked French toast casserole with a sweet sugar-coated bottom, perfect for a Christmas morning breakfast.

This was a recipe make-over requested by one of my readers I was excited to tackle. The original recipe calls for a stick of butter, lots of eggs and half-and-half cream. Although this has been lightened up by removing the butter, replacing the cream with milk and most of the eggs with egg substitute, your guests will never know it. What's better than waking up with a house full of guests and having a no-fuss breakfast when you wake up. Serve this with fresh fruit to complete your table.

This uses a half loaf of challah bread, so you can easily double this and make two if you have more guests. And as an fyi, portions are pretty large, if you cut this into 8 pieces, it would be 7 points plus.

Lightened Up Crème Brûlée French Toast
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/6th • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 9 pts
    Calories: 310.9 • Fat: 5.6 g • Carb: 59.9 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Protein: 13.1 g
    1 cup unpacked brown sugar
    1/4 cup water
    cooking spray
    10 oz Challah bread, sliced 1 inch thick
    2 large eggs
    1 cup egg substitute
    1-1/2 cups 1% milk
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp Meyers rum (optional)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp powdered sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon

In a small heavy saucepan melt brown sugar and water over moderate-low heat, stirring, until smooth and melted, about 1 minute, then pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Arrange bread slices in one layer in baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk, vanilla, rum, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and salt until combined well and pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350° F. and bring bread to room temperature.

Bake uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 40 to 50 minutes.

Top with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've had French Toast of the menu for some time, but found a good fix for it last week. (Cue the 'processed food' Nazis) Jimmy D's™ French Toast Griddlers. Turkey sausage on two piece of french toast, 210 calories, and makes a great breakfast.

On a side note, it is a good thing I read labels--sometimes you find unexpected things. For instance, Jimmy Dean has a line of "healthy" breakfast sandwiches, marketed under the "D-lights" name. However, the French Toast Griddlers are fewer calories than any of the D-lights products, yet does not share that moniker.
  • lucky01day
    lucky01day Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    that sounds AMAZING! I may have o make that in quantity to take as breakfast for work on those days I need something thick and yummy!
  • irishbelle345
    Options
    bump
  • casseh
    casseh Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm also a french toast fan but not a big fan of it sweet. I simply beat an egg, add about half a cup of reduced fat milk and some parsley, dip the bread and toast it in a sandwich press, no need for butter :)

of course these days I leave off the bacon that used to accompany it!
  • JanW01
    JanW01 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm also a french toast fan but not a big fan of it sweet. I simply beat an egg, add about half a cup of reduced fat milk and some parsley, dip the bread and toast it in a sandwich press, no need for butter :)

of course these days I leave off the bacon that used to accompany it!

I never thought to use the sandwich press! Awesome idea :happy:
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options

217 calories...
    SO going to try this. I'm a sweet FANATIC and LOVE LOVE LOVE French toast! Thank you for the recipe!
  • soriakyte
    soriakyte Posts: 17
    Options
    I love French Toast and it has been SOOOOO long! Thanks for the yummy ideas!