Serving size??

Options
When cooking with homemade recipes like family hand-me down's, how do you figure serving size, cal, etc.?

Replies

• twinsfan1976
    Options
    Add up everything you put in it and then divide it by the number of portions you make out of it. Not fast and simple, but its whats you gotta do.
  • lbarnett300
    Options
    Use the recipe option in foods and create your own recipe. Just put in all ingriedients and look at the total number of calories then you can figure out portions.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    use the recipe calculator to enter your ingredients. you determine the servings the dish will make. so if it's a 13x9x2 casserole and you usually cut it into 6 big servings. enter 6

you may be blown away with the calorie count :noway: and want to change that to 9 servings and give everyone a little more reasonable serving.

that's what i found when i started using the recipe calc anyway. lol! :drinker:
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    The "Food" tab then "Recipes" Search the ingredient, chose the serving size and it will add it all up for you. BONUS: You can save it and it will be much quicker to add next time you make it. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • muggle311
    muggle311 Posts: 14
    Options
    I actually just did this yesterday with a recipe. You make it then you decide whether you want half cup or cup portions now get that measuring cup out and scoop it out into another container now you will know how many half cups or full cups etc there are.
    Put the recipe in here on the website along with your portion size and how many of these-- I had 10 1/2 c portions so I put in 10 for portion section-- you will have the calories for it along with some other information which is useful.
    When it is something like say a cookie or a cake you would figure out how many pieces or slices and do the same.
    It does not take long but you do have to be careful and make sure you are as close as you can be to the portion size or you will be off.
    I hope this helps.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I weigh all ingredients while prepping and write down all weights. While food is cooking, I do my research on-line if necessary (www.nutritiondata.com is great for this). Start off a new "My Recipes" and keep the serving size blank (or just enter 1 for time being; it can always be edited later). When food is finished cooking, I portion it out equally into leftover containers and our plates/bowls in order to get a pretty accurate serving count.
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    Add up everything you put in it and then divide it by the number of portions you make out of it. Not fast and simple, but its whats you gotta do.

Ok but how do figure out correct portion size cause my portion size differ's significantly from my hubhy's, LOL
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Ok but how do figure out correct portion size cause my portion size differ's significantly from my hubhy's, LOL

I'd still divide it like the other posters recommended. Your portion size is probably closer to what the portion should be, and charge the hubby with 2 or 3 portions!
  • whodatgrl
    whodatgrl Posts: 111
    Options
    use the recipe calculator to enter your ingredients. you determine the servings the dish will make. so if it's a 13x9x2 casserole and you usually cut it into 6 big servings. enter 6

you may be blown away with the calorie count :noway: and want to change that to 9 servings and give everyone a little more reasonable serving.

that's what i found when i started using the recipe calc anyway. lol! :drinker:

is the recipe calculator on MFP or another site?