There, their, they're and more...

Options
ChuckgM3
ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
To whom it may concern... please learn it, live it, love it... that is all :)

English Their, There, They're

What's the difference between their, there, and they're? They're really not that complicated; once you understand their differences there shouldn't be any more confusion.

Their

Their is the third person plural possessive adjective, used to describe something as belong to them. Their is nearly always followed by a noun.

Where is their car?

Are these their pens?

Their books are on the table.

This is their room and this is ours.

What happened to their dog?

Their being here is causing some problems.

There

There has several different uses.

1. Adverb that means the opposite of "here"

He's over there.

Stop right there.

Do you want to sit here or there?

2. Pronoun that introduces a noun or clause.

There is something strange going on.

Is there a phone?

3. Adjective that emphasizes which person.

That guy there seems to be in trouble.

Those there look good.

4. Noun that means "that place."

From there, we drove to Boston.

I'm not going in there!

They're

They're is the contraction of "they are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

They're going to be late.

Is that what they're saying?

I think they're lying.

If they're ready, we can go.

I can't believe they're not here yet!

When they're older, they'll understand.

The Bottom Line

The confusion between their, there, and they're occurs because the three words are pronounced in very similar ways.

If the word means "belonging to them," use their. If you're able to replace the word with "they are," use they're. Otherwise, there is only one correct answer: there.

BONUS!

English Your vs You're

What's the difference between your and you're? Your presence on this page means you're about to find out.

Your

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is nearly always followed by a noun.

What is your name?

Is this your pen?

Your book is on the table.

This is your chair and this is mine.

What happened to your dog?

Your being here is causing some problems.

You're

You're is the contraction of "you are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

You're going to be late.

Is that what you're wearing?

I think you're lying.

If you're ready, we can go.

I can't believe you're a doctor!

When you're my age, you'll understand.

The Bottom Line

The confusion between your and you're occurs because the two words are pronounced pretty much the same.

The ironclad rule - no exceptions - is that if you're able to replace the word with "you are," you're saying you're. Otherwise, your only choice is your.

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I have a lot that I could add, but I'm gonna keep my mouth shut. MY PET PEEVE!!!!:grumble:
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Preach it! lol
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you ... thank you ... and thank you again!

It kills me to read some of these common mistakes - and sadly, not just on message boards, but supposedly professional (edited) works as well
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Love it! That drives me crazy! :noway:
  • aaronbyard
    Options
    My bigger pet peeve is the trend of using " 's " instead of just "s" to make something plural.
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nice post. :-)
  • dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    It's great laughing at people who aren't as clever as you, isn't it?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    That they're were a darn good posting of them words and how they is used in them sentences and stuff. There aughta' be more folks when there talking use them words in such a way that there isn't misunderstanded.

Not good grammar really passes me off it do.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    ITS not ALOT its A LOT is my big one
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There are probably a million reasons people are not the greatest at spelling. Maybe they dropped out of school because their parents were drunks and didn't support them. Maybe they had a learning disability and found english difficult. Do you really think your post is going to change that if 12 years of english classes didn't help. And now on their journey to better their health, they have to worry about someone picking on their spelling? Maybe now, they will think twice before posting a question because of your pet peeve. If you can read what they wrote and understand it, don't worry it. I find it hard to believe you can not understand what they are saying because they use their instead of there. Be supportive.
  • jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Here's a funny one (actually has a facebook page):

Let's eat grandma.
    Let's eat, grandma.

Punctuation saves lives.
  • dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    There are probably a million reasons people are not the greatest at spelling. Maybe they dropped out of school because their parents were drunks and didn't support them. Maybe they had a learning disability and found english difficult. Do you really think your post is going to change that if 12 years of english classes didn't help. And now on their journey to better their health, they have to worry about someone picking on their spelling? Maybe now, they will think twice before posting a question because of your pet peeve. If you can read what they wrote and understand it, don't worry it. I find it hard to believe you can not understand what they are saying because they use their instead of there. Be supportive.

^absolutely right. Grammar trolls and pseudo-elitists spoil the internet.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I could care less, does it really matter? I am sorry but only God could make me perfect and he did not.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    There are probably a million reasons people are not the greatest at spelling. Maybe they dropped out of school because their parents were drunks and didn't support them. Maybe they had a learning disability and found english difficult. Do you really think your post is going to change that if 12 years of english classes didn't help. And now on their journey to better their health, they have to worry abuout someone picking on their spelling? Maybe now, they will think twice before posting a question because of your pet peeve. If you can read what they wrote and understand it, don't worry it. I find it hard to believe you can not understand what they are saying because they use their instead of there. Be supportive.

Plus, little bitty tiny insignificant things like miss-spelling doesn't bother me. Things like triple taxation, tornados, expensive car repairs, and elitists bother me.

But most importantly, I DON'T CARE!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    the their there and theyre thing drives me crazy.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options

FYI..."English" needed to be capitalized...just so you know. LOL All in joking!! It is a pet peeve of mine too but more with fb friends than on hear. Kidding..."here".
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    To whom it may concern... please learn it, live it, love it... that is all :)

English Their, There, They're

What's the difference between their, there, and they're? They're really not that complicated; once you understand their differences there shouldn't be any more confusion.

Their

Their is the third person plural possessive adjective, used to describe something as belong to them. Their is nearly always followed by a noun.

Where is their car?

Are these their pens?

Their books are on the table.

This is their room and this is ours.

What happened to their dog?

Their being here is causing some problems.

There

There has several different uses.

1. Adverb that means the opposite of "here"

He's over there.

Stop right there.

Do you want to sit here or there?

2. Pronoun that introduces a noun or clause.

There is something strange going on.

Is there a phone?

3. Adjective that emphasizes which person.

That guy there seems to be in trouble.

Those there look good.

4. Noun that means "that place."

From there, we drove to Boston.

I'm not going in there!

They're

They're is the contraction of "they are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

They're going to be late.

Is that what they're saying?

I think they're lying.

If they're ready, we can go.

I can't believe they're not here yet!

When they're older, they'll understand.

The Bottom Line

The confusion between their, there, and they're occurs because the three words are pronounced in very similar ways.

If the word means "belonging to them," use their. If you're able to replace the word with "they are," use they're. Otherwise, there is only one correct answer: there.

BONUS!

English Your vs You're

What's the difference between your and you're? Your presence on this page means you're about to find out.

Your

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is nearly always followed by a noun.

What is your name?

Is this your pen?

Your book is on the table.

This is your chair and this is mine.

What happened to your dog?

Your being here is causing some problems.

You're

You're is the contraction of "you are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

You're going to be late.

Is that what you're wearing?

I think you're lying.

If you're ready, we can go.

I can't believe you're a doctor!

When you're my age, you'll understand.

The Bottom Line

The confusion between your and you're occurs because the two words are pronounced pretty much the same.

The ironclad rule - no exceptions - is that if you're able to replace the word with "you are," you're saying you're. Otherwise, your only choice is your.

bwahahaha LOVE! I need to post this on Facebook.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Not to forget to two and too as well as it's and its
    Funny thing is I know the difference between all of these and couldn't care less
    Actually I amliving in a land where the majority of persons speak 4 languages and at least 2 of them fluently
    I struggle a but more with my own language (sae) as I learn theirs (dutch, french, German) thus I have to give up caring about there their or they're
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    Totally awesome post! Thanks, may just steal it and post to Facebook!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    re-reading what I wrote last night I should correct my ipod typos but meh- you understand my point I suppose (btw we used to have to spell the various toos, theres, its, yours during a spelling test in third grade- teacher would read definition and we would have to write the word- it's a good way to drill the theirs into your head :-) )