Yummy Ideas for a Omelette Scientist

Options
I get bored. Very bored. I went to the grocery store and bought all kinds of low calorie/ healthy, I guess what you would call "sides". I bought anything that could be put in an omelette. Im going to start an experiment with omelettes, call me crazy ,but I need ideas for low calorie things ANYTHING that could be put in an omelette, anything is open for suggestions and I will post how it tasted after I try it. (Im even going to try an apple omelette.) So ANYTHING I will try my best to buy it in order to try it. I'm doing this for a fun little thing. So Far I have bought the following and am going to put it in an omelette : Tuna, Green Beans, Ham, Tomato, and stawberries. Yes, Strawberries. Each omelette is going to be seperate just one item in each with a small amount of cheese, mustard, tabasco, apple butter, cream cheese, or soy sauce- whatever would go best with the item put into the omelette. Any other strange or great low calorie healthy things you can think of I will try my best to try then post what I thought of it. :bigsmile:

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese and strawberry and asparagus in an omelete would be soooo delicious!!!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bumping...this sounds yum. I love veggies in my omeletes. Spinach, mushrooms, onions, red peppers, or asparagus. I've never thought of adding tuna..but sounds intriguing.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    i put shredded cabbage and carrot. You could try that.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    This thread is one of the weirdest i've seen, but in a good way i think, my fave omelette is mushrooms, sweetcorn, pepper, onions, and chicken breast with a bbq dip, i think its like a healthier pizza, but i'm a bit nuts!
  • connamiragna
    Options
    Asparagus! Great Suggestion- I will write that combination down. At the moment I don't own a can of asparagus, but as soon as I do I will try that. I will go ahead a try a strawberry and cream cheese omelette for dinner tonight and get back with you on how it went. I do have strawberries and Cream Cheese (light). Thanks!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables. Peas are traditional for fritatas in Italy. (Some need quick blanching in boiling water for 2 min before using them.)

Mushrooms -- pan-fry in a bit of olive oil beforehand.

Grated cheese (cheddar, feta, mozzarella, blue cheese -- anything that melts well).

Cooked chicken or other meat.

Onions. Potatoes. Sausage slices of any kind, including frankfurters.

I find that an omelette (2 eggs per person) is a great way to have a high-protein, low-cal meal: even with the cooking fat (butter/olive oil) and additions you can have a hugely satisfying meal for 350-400 calories.
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    hummus/red peppers/asparagus

crab/avocado

mushrooms/grilled chicken/swiss

zucchini/rice

turkey sausage/apples/cheddar

ham/ apples/craisins/honey mustard/swiss

italian greens/ low fat provolone/ hot peppers

zucchini/squash/rice

brussel sprouts steamed &sauteed in olive oil and garlic with parmesan and roasted red peppers

low fat ricotta and marinara with spinach(and mushrooms

broccoli/cheese/rice(like the casserole)

chinese stirfry veggies and shrimp

yummmmmmmm post pics!!!!
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    hummus/red peppers/asparagus

crab/avocado

mushrooms/grilled chicken/swiss

zucchini/rice

turkey sausage/apples/cheddar

ham/ apples/craisins/honey mustard/swiss

italian greens/ low fat provolone/ hot peppers

zucchini/squash/rice

brussel sprouts steamed &sauteed in olive oil and garlic with parmesan and roasted red peppers

low fat ricotta and marinara with spinach(and mushrooms

broccoli/cheese/rice(like the casserole)

chinese stirfry veggies and shrimp

yummmmmmmm post pics!!!!
  • connamiragna
    Options
    Hey All! Thank You so much for the suggestions I have gotten the following combinations written down and ready to try: Cabbage and Carrot- Pea Omelette- Asparagus Cream Cheese Strawberry Omelette. I live with my parents and do not do my own shopping but I do go with them to shop, I will get these things as soon as I can. I will be trying the Strawberry Cream Cheese omelette for dinner tonight. I saw a comment to post pictures, I will if you can tell me how. :) Is there a way to post it here on the Topic board? or to my profile? I saw a post about added calories/ fat for oil. I usually make the omelette what I would call "slab on grade" Just plop that egg right on there, no addition. I am a CLOSE calorie watcher. I will post the ingredients and calorie total of each omelette, most omelettes will be very small. ( I'm a light eater.) ONCE AGAIN, CAN I POST PICTURES TO THIS TOPIC BOARD, IF SO, HOW?
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump.. Getting hungry reading this....
  • connamiragna
    Options
    Well! Guess what i just fixed! A STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE OMELETTE! Here's what I used.
    1 Jumbo Egg: 90 Calories
    1/2 Cup Strawberries: 25 Calories
    2 Table Spoon Light Cream Cheese: 50 Calories
    TOTAL : 165 Calories
    Taste: Not great, buy enjoyable.
    Filling (Scale 1-10): 4
    I took me about 5 Minutes to prepare this.

I took a picture, but how do I post it on here?
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I put cottage cheese in one a while back and it was pretty good.
  • connamiragna
    Options
    http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/theomelettescientist/?action=view&current=IMG_0118.jpg

Here's a link to a picture of my Strawberry Cream Cheese Omelette
  • connamiragna
    Options
    IMG_0118.jpg

Strawberry Cream Cheese Omelette
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Try this - quorn mince & onion with Worcestershire sauce. Suggest you put it inside the omelette after is is half cooked then fold in half - like a pastie

Add potato if you want more carbs (f you are training)
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've made a "french toast" omelette before-- egg whites, cinnamon, vanilla, stevia, and sauteed apples or bananas.

Also really good-- while the eggs are setting up, swirl around some balsamic vinegar into them-- it cooks off into a sweet syrup, it tastes amazing!!
  • connamiragna
    Options
    I love vinegar! I will be sure to try that.
  • connamiragna
    Options
    About 3 hours after the "Strawberry Cream Cheese Omelette" I feel great. The combination was full of protein, low calories, and energy! I have been dieting for about 3 months and I haven't felt this energetic in a while. It has turned out to be ALOT more filling than I thought it would be, I feel very full. The rest of the family is having Papa John's Pizza tonight (Dieter's Nightmare) and I'm sitting out, I'm not hungry! It tasted very strange, but has great advantages. I'm going to try a ham, green bean, and vinegar omelette for breakfast in the morning. I wonder how this will work out....