HOW bad is skipping breakfast?

Options
TonysMiss
TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
I am really bad at this and usually don't eat until I'm at work....working. I have usually been awake for at least 3-4 hours by the time I eat unless you count coffee.
I'm trying to change that but am wondering how bad it really is.

Replies

• mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    if you don't feel like eating, maybe just have a protein shake on your way to work so your body has something to work off of
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It's pretty bad. A piece of fruit, hardboild eggs, sliced ham - all super easy to grab with your coffee on the way out the door. Also, you can order real eggs at Wendy's and McDonalds now too - skip the crappy sandwiches and just go eggs and bacon.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. If you aren't hungry, then I'd say it's probably not a big deal. Also, is it working for you? Are you feeling good and achieving your health goals? If so, then don't worry about it.

There's some new thinking going around the net regarding longer food breaks called "intermittent fasting". Give it a Google.

There are plenty of people suggesting all sorts of different timing patterns for eating. 6 small meals, 3 meals & no snacking, 3 meals and 2 snacks, etc, etc. I think everyone is different and needs to figure out what works for them.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think there are 2 issues and if these don't affect you then there's nothing to worry about.
    1. eating breakfast gets your metabolism going so you burn more calories during the morning
    2. if a person doesn't eat breakfast, they're more likely to overeat later.

If you're having coffee, perhaps your metabolism is up and running without food . . .
    If you're not overeating later, it may not be a problem for you.

If you're loosing, stick with what's working. If you're not loosing, try changing it up.
    Good luck!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I've heard getting protein into you is great, first thing. I often don't feel much like eating either, and don't have time to whip up a protein shake. Lately, I HAVE been eating breakfast, but before I started logging on MFP I would often just eat a piece of string cheese for breakfast. It was protein, but not a ton of food (like I said, I didn't feel like eating first thing in the morning).
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You should ALWAYS eat something for breakfast. Try to have something with complex carbohydrates to start you strong and keep you going until your next meal. It kick starts your metabolism and your metabolism will be way lower if you do not eat breakfast! Best bets are: oatmeal (not the sugary, pre-packaged ones, but regular oats), whole grain cereal ( I like Nature's Path brand, don't eat sugary cereals, total is great for you) and lowfat milk. Read this article. Hope that helps!!!

And if you're one of those people who have a hard time finding the TIME to eat breakfast, get balanced/low sugar protein shakes that can come with you To-Go, or a box of protein bars to keep in your car or something. Apples are great to go as well and can stay in your car for like a week. Get eating sister! :D Hope that helps.

Read THIS! ---> http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast
    and/or this: ---> http://www.weight-loss-advisor.com/weightlossarticles/eating-breakfast.htm

-Ramana
  • ladyshills
    Options
    All science says to eat breakfast. Personally I can't- I'm just not hungry till lunch. I've lost 29 pounds so far. A hard boiled egg would be good though 100 calories & protein to start your day.
  • rjohnson3452
    Options
    I've never ate breakfast on a regular basis. But I started working out about 8 weeks ago and found that it's hard to do on an empty stomach. So I started eating a bagel every morning. Started out by force feeding myself, literally, something about eating within an hour of waking up has always made me sick to my stomach.
    It got better though and now it's second nature, I look forward to it, literally thinking about tomorrows bagel right now. I suggest trying it out, it becomes routine after a while.
  • TonysMiss
    Options
    Thanks for all the info/input guys!
    It isn't that it necessarily "works" for me....I think it's more of a time thing!! I did , last week put a bowl of cereal in the bathroom with me and nibbled on it. I think it ultimately did make me feel better in the long run. I have a really hard time with energy. I get SO tired and burned out. It's weird...I used to be able to go for days and now I have to kick myself in the *kitten* to get in a work out!! I also admit I am a sugar addict. If I could live off of sweets I would. Knowing that is hard because I know that is probably a lot of my problem as far as energy.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    if you don't have time for breakfast but aren't against working it in, i'd recommend the carnation instant breakfast...low cal, low fat, low sugar, high protein! you can put it in a travel mug and drink it on the way to work...
  • quetzalcoatl
    Options
    I don't ever eat breakfast . I wouldn't mind if I had to, but frankly I don't see it as a problem. I just don't feel like it.

Buuuuuuuut I'd go for a liquid meal if I was going to try to incorporate it.
    Sometimes I'll eat a banana on the way out the door, but that's about it.
    I find once I start eating I keep eating, if that makes any sense. Is that weird? Well its true. If I eat, I have a bigger chance of overeating afterwards because I feel like I've "already had something" so a little more is just a little more.

Not eating keeps me pecking at small amounts later in the day, so I feel like I haven't ruined a good day....?
    I don't know if I'm making any sense!

Kate
  • TonysMiss
    Options
    I don't ever eat breakfast . I wouldn't mind if I had to, but frankly I don't see it as a problem. I just don't feel like it.

Buuuuuuuut I'd go for a liquid meal if I was going to try to incorporate it.
    Sometimes I'll eat a banana on the way out the door, but that's about it.
    I find once I start eating I keep eating, if that makes any sense. Is that weird? Well its true. If I eat, I have a bigger chance of overeating afterwards because I feel like I've "already had something" so a little more is just a little more.

Not eating keeps me pecking at small amounts later in the day, so I feel like I haven't ruined a good day....?
    I don't know if I'm making any sense!

Kate
    lol
    I hear ya! I think I prob should work on getting something in me because of my fatigue later in the day. I just totally burn out! See, for me, I like to eat in lil' bits. = ) I would rather have a yogurt, then a hour or two later an orange and then something light for lunch and so on. Am I making any sense?
  • TonysMiss
    Options
    if you don't have time for breakfast but aren't against working it in, i'd recommend the carnation instant breakfast...low cal, low fat, low sugar, high protein! you can put it in a travel mug and drink it on the way to work...
    I'll have to recheck the labels because when my daughter was younger and she LOVED them. I remember them being sooooo sweet. Which is good for this chica! I love them sweets!
    Thanks for the input!:smile:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I used to constantly skip breakfast but now I find my energy levels are seriously lagging if I don't eat something in the morning.

I usually have a serving of fruit--half a grapefruit has been my go-to option for the past few weeks, although if something else looks appetizing in the produce section I'll have that instead. Then, when I get to work I have a serving of oatmeal with dried fruit--the Eating Right brand by Safeway is pretty good. Instant, but with decent nutrition and low sodium. A word of advice, though: get the one with dried fruit and not the cinnamon spice one. The cinnamon one tastes like cardboard.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The regular Carnation Instant breakfast mix is terrible (way too high in sugar). Get the no sugar added one, or better yet, ditch the artificial sugar and get a good whey protein powder and mix it with some coconut milk or almond milk. Still quick and easy.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like other posters, I have found that if I don't eat breakfast, I'm sluggish, can't think as well (to solve "problems" at work), and I'm more irritable. Most days, I have a bowl (about 1.5 cups) of Special K original cereal with fat free milk. This gives me energy, the ability to think better, and I have found that I am definitely not as cranky when I've eaten breakfast.