Almond Butter vs. Natural Peanut Butter

Options
I love Peanut Butter, and recently made the switch from Kraft Light Peanut Butter to Natural Peanut Butter because I wanted the healthy fats and to cut out the hydrogenated oils and added processed junk.

I love the texture and flavor of Natural Peanut Butter, and as a vegetarian amount of protein is very important to me.

However, I have heard that Almond Butter is "better" than Natural Peanut Butter. I recently bought a jar, and the NI looked pretty comparable to my Natural Peanut Butter. I am wondering if there is any truth to this? If so, what is better about Almond Butter than Peanut Butter? Is it really worth making the switch?

Thanks!

Replies

• JackboyE
    JackboyE Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly active on bodybuilding forum and I've never heard anyone speak of almond butter. I would've thought that if it was that superior, it would be mentioned quite often.

I personally love peanut butter and I can't imagine almond butter tasting better..
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the almonds being a healthier oil, though almonds are a good fat. I do, however, prefer the taste of almond butter to peanut butter. To my tastebuds, the almond butter has a richer, more satisfying taste.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a big difference nutritionally. I love both. Try Trader Joe's (if an option) almond butter with toasted flax seed. Delicious!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just bought almond butter today for the first time and WOW...I love the taste. It is WONDERFUL!!!
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My friend is on a nutritional plan with a trainer and he said to use almond butter instead. I saw the NI on my light PB was better. So what is the difference I don't really know. I am guessing there is more iron in the almond one because it is almonds. I didn't know natural butter was better.I will have to look into that.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is yummy. So is peanut butter. I'm a snob and make my own :)

We have to remember that not all nutrition info goes on the label, and we need a variety of foods. This may lead you on a path - http://www.buzzle.com/articles/almond-butter-vs-peanut-butter.html
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • veganbecky
    veganbecky Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think one is healthier than the other, they are just different. Almond butter is higher in calcium and vitamin E than peanut butter. Peanut butter is higher in niacin and protein. I would just go with whatever tastes better to you. I prefer the taste of peanut butter, but I like snacking on almonds, so I get the nutrients from both. :)
  • Dawn111567
    Options
    I love almond butter and I just make my own. It is so simple and takes about 5-10 minutes.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from natural pb to natural ab. I now can't seem to stop eating the almond butter. It is so delicious. I use it as a dip for fruit, crackers, everything. It's a little dangerous. I still love the pb too:)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard that one is "better" than the other. Whichever you buy, try and find one without too many processed ingredients and hydrogenated oils. The vitamin/mineral content might vary slightly because obviously peanuts and almonds are two different foods. But looking at the nutrition labels -- no reason to pick one over the other as far as I can tell. I enjoy them both :)

Took a picture of my jars of peanut butter and almond butter for comparison: http://i52.tinypic.com/6yflw5.jpg

And note that the peanut butter I buy does have some added oil and sweetener, while the only ingredient in the almond butter is dry roasted almonds.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Please share the how too of homemade peanut and almond Butter!
  • Amie_46
    Options
    I haven't heard that one is "better" than the other. Whichever you buy, try and find one without too many processed ingredients and hydrogenated oils. The vitamin/mineral content might vary slightly because obviously peanuts and almonds are two different foods. But looking at the nutrition labels -- no reason to pick one over the other as far as I can tell. I enjoy them both :)

Took a picture of my jars of peanut butter and almond butter for comparison: http://i52.tinypic.com/6yflw5.jpg

And note that the peanut butter I buy does have some added oil and sweetener, while the only ingredient in the almond butter is dry roasted almonds.

Thanks for the pictures!
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Skip the "natural" peanut butter by large brand names! There are great raw almond and peanut butters from Trader Joe"s or Laura Scudders, or even Adam's Natural. Look at the label and you'll find most times it says, "Almonds" or "Peanuts." My philosophy with nut butters is: ONE INGREDIENT required. If there's more than one, I don't buy it! The oils in nut butters is from the crushing of the nuts - you don't need added oils or sugars! Seriously. It doesn't do you body any good.

And they taste awesome! But so you know, the reason almonds are generally better for you than peanuts is that they are actually a nut. Peanuts are in the legume family (bean) so it has a different carbohydrate compound than almonds. Both are not bad if you're training and need high protein. Yes, they are higher in fat - so be sure to eat lots of veggies to fill up!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You should try lots of nut butters. Grind up your own if you want. Almond, peanut, cashew... they're all about the same calories once they're all belended into a paste, but they have different health benefits. Check out the vitamins found in all your favorite nuts. Maybe you can make a nut blend and get all their healthy benefits!
    As a side note...
    I agree that "natural" is not always better. Take a look at your natural PB. I bet you it has palm oil in it. Palm oil is not "partially hydrogentated" but it's still not good for you or the environement. Stick with pure nuts and salt for your nut butters.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I saw some cashew butter in a health food store a while back and always wondered what that would taste like. I imagine that they are all pretty good.
  • Amie_46
    Options
    Should have been more specific, both butters I have are made from the 1 ingredient - either peanuts or almonds - I made the switch to cut out the extra stuff.

I prefer the taste of the peanut butter to the almond butter, so I suppose after the almond butter is gone I will stick with buying the peanut butter.

Thanks for your comments :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    nut butters are really easy to make.

put nuts in blender / food processor. add 1/4tsp your choice oil at a time as necessary (but be very sparing. you only use the oil to help keep everything moving. occasionally take the lid off of your blender/ food processor and stir instead of adding oil.

add salt to taste if necessary.

blend several kinds of nuts together.

even soy nuts.

flax seed, too!

i sometimes like to grind up the nuts until just before they puree, then take out a half cup to make the nut butter crunchy.

cashew butter is delicious! try them all... way cheaper to make it yourself, and very fast.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just switched to this peanut wonder. It taste delicious.

http://www.peanutwonder.com/
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    who says it has to be one or the other, if you like both then buy both and alternate eating them.