Making Healthy Choices on a Budget- I want to hear from you!

Options
My soon to be one year old is now eating a majority of whatever we are eating & a big reason for my recent lifestyle changes are thanks to her! Trying to set the best example I can which includes adding fresh fruits & veggies to our diets. BUT my husband & I are students for the next year (my hubby graduates next May- wahooo!) we are on an extremely tight budget....and I mean TIGHT! As you all know produce, especially of the organic variety can add up quickly!

I would love to hear from those who have ANY tips or advice on eating healthy on a tight budget. If our budget allowed we would eat all organic but for now I'm trying to buy those things that are most important to be organic such as milk & produce when we can afford it. Thanks so much!

Replies

• smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iknowicaniknowican
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    do frozen vegis, their cheaper and they keep longer = )
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    E-Mealz. 5 bucks A month. Saved me over 300 dollars a month on grocery bills and hours planning meals and looking for recipes.
    Gives you a menu and a shopping list for dinner for an entire week.
    Have choices such as carb free, veggie, fat free, low fat, etc.
    I tend to substitute organic items for the items they suggest, if available. Brings the cost up a bit but overall for the five dinner meals it's under 50 bucks. I do the low fat plan. The veggie plan runs about 70-80 bucks
    Just google e-mealz. :)
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Costco sells organic beef & milk.. you could look into buy that stuff there. Do you eat all organic produce? I know some peps that only buy organic if they eat the skin...??
    I'm a graduate student and on a TIGHT budget as well. I 'rent' a community garden plot in the summer to grow my own veggies. Do you have community gardens where you live?
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Beans! 'nuff said.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Apples are good. And the frozen vegetables can be good. Someone told me if they are all a big clump not to get them, but if they are nice and separated then they were fresh frozen. Oatmeal is pretty cheap as well. I just read labels like crazy, and I cannot afford any organic, but I am ok with that.
    It's not always easy.
    We are going to plant a small container garden with tomatoes and jalapenos to save some money.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'd like to know as well! It's hard eating better on a tight budget! I for one have finally started using the bananas that went bad "black" lol I found a great recipe for banana muffins... I LOVE making muffins for the kids (5) but buying them in a box and making them is really expensive... like almost $3 a box... so I looked up recipes for muffins

Another thing I try to do now, is stay away from frozen foods... they are quick and easy to make, but oh soo bad for you... I used frozen meals, you know the bag kind? lol the entire time I was in school, because it was faster and easier... but really not healthy for you

good luck :)
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    One thing I've always heard is to buy produce that is in season, because it's way cheaper. Also, I'm not sure how important eating organic is to you, but it so much more expensive. We buy a lot of our veggies frozen to save money. I'm not sure if you have an Aldi store in your area, but we buy 80% of our groceries from them (kind of limited on selection) and the rest at Walmart. Since we started doing that, we save about $75 a month. Good luck! I know it's much cheaper to eat processed food, but we have to keep in mind our goals for not only ourselves, but our kids!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    do frozen vegis, their cheaper and they keep longer = )

I love steamed veggies and grilled chicken.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are great. Try to buy fresh when on sale. Fruit unless being added to something is always better fresh, bananas run on cheap side, apples in bulk and look at oranges too.

As far as meet, bulk bulk bulk. Sams Club saves me a lot when it comes to meat as well a lot of times for fruit and veggies.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump, I'd like to know as well! It's hard eating better on a tight budget! I for one have finally started using the bananas that went bad "black" lol I found a great recipe for banana muffins... I LOVE making muffins for the kids (5) but buying them in a box and making them is really expensive... like almost $3 a box... so I looked up recipes for muffins

Another thing I try to do now, is stay away from frozen foods... they are quick and easy to make, but oh soo bad for you... I used frozen meals, you know the bag kind? lol the entire time I was in school, because it was faster and easier... but really not healthy for you

good luck :)

The only thing I really buy frozen are the vegetables, keep longer and are better then cans :)
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Hey girl I hear that budget!! My husband is in law enforcement and attending school so we live by a tight budget as well....I know organic is the best way, but we only buy certain foods organic. Foods with thin skin, like apples, grapes, cucumbers, oh and bananas (they gas those)
    All other foods we do all natural and buy LOCAL...find a farmers market in your area, buy meats that have not been frozen. We shop at Sprouts, I dont know where you are form but sprouts is like a whole foods, they have local distributors so their meats have never been frozen.
    I made all our daughters baby foods as well, and look for sales at your local stores, sometimes organic baby food you can find on sale. You can find a food masher at Target, and mash your own fruits and veggies. With other foods, put them in ice cube trays and freeze them.
    Best of luck to you!!
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try buying frozen veggies. Not sure what area of the country you are in, but look for farmer's markets. Where I live the growing season is short, but I look forward to the summer farmer's markets. Also trying going meatless once or twice a week. When you do buy meat, look for what's on sale and buy a little extra and freeze it.

Soups, slow cooker dishes and casseroles are a great way to stretch your meat. Just load it up with veggies and rice, or quinoa or noodles. If you're willing, it's cheaper in the long run to buy a whole bird and cut it up yourself. Plus you can make your own stock from the leftover pieces (bones, cartiledge and such). My friend even made her own stock from the leftover shells of the crabs they had bought for a special occasion. The soups she made with that stock were superb!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My 14 month old is a big reason why I started this!! I found myself feeding her different food than I was making for my husband and I becasue what we were eating wasn't healthy for her. How much sence does that make!! I am a stay at home mom so we are on a tight budget as well. I make a lot of casserols. Pasta, cheese, sauce, and I use a 1/2 pound of ground beef or chicken and add mixed vegies to stretch my meat for 2 meals. I buy extra of whatever meat is on sale and freeze it. I buy organic milk for my daughter and some organic veges and fruit. I get a lot of recipies from campbellskitchen.com. I look up recipies that are low cal and low cost. You can search for recipies that are budget friendly. It's hard finding a variety, but if you take the time, you can do it. I also try to make a few vegetarian dishes a week because it is cheeper. I use meaty veges like mushrooms and eggplant. One of my favoret cheep, vegetarian meals is a package of tortallini, a package of mixed vege, and pasta sauce. I serve just sliced bread and butter. Good luck!! You can add me as your friend if you want, I am starting to post some of my recipies.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I am a stay-at-home mom of 3. Feeding 5 on 1 income gets crazy sometimes, just gotta make sacrifices where you can. We do mostly organic produce and everything else as clean as possible. That being said, I also buy second hand clothing whenever I can, it's way cheaper! It's just one place I have found that I can spend less to be able to afford better quality groceries. One big thing that helps me is planning the next weeks meals before I go to the store and then sticking to my plan. It REALLY cuts down on wasting and helps with portion control. Good luck!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Do you have a farmer's market in your town? They tend to be cheaper and fresher. And you could potentially haggle about prices...
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    One thing I've always heard is to buy produce that is in season, because it's way cheaper. Also, I'm not sure how important eating organic is to you, but it so much more expensive. We buy a lot of our veggies frozen to save money. I'm not sure if you have an Aldi store in your area, but we buy 80% of our groceries from them (kind of limited on selection) and the rest at Walmart. Since we started doing that, we save about $75 a month. Good luck! I know it's much cheaper to eat processed food, but we have to keep in mind our goals for not only ourselves, but our kids!

I know Aldi is cheap but do not buy produce there....it is not organic and sometimes the meats are already expired and they pup them with chemicals to keep them longer!! Yuck
    I spend 60 bucks a week on foods to feed 4 of us and I hardly buy processed foods...to me it is cheaper to buy fresh and frozen veggies. More time cooking but if you prepare your meals for the week super easy.
  • daniellefsc
    daniellefsc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am also on a tight budget. I am a graduate student and had to cut down on my hours at work to focus on school. Next year, I have to complete a year long internship, FOR FREE!!! :( We eat a lot of frozen veggies b/c they're good for you and they last longer. It frustrates me how all of the produce is more money.

We also buy turkey meat and chicken in bulk at BJ's. It's so much cheaper. We buy the chicken already packaged for the freezer and it lasts us at least one month, but normally two months.

I am also a coupon addict :) I have never paid for than $0.50 for toothpaste, cleaning supplies, and body wash etc. Why paid full price if you can get it for almost free. I also rock the deals at CVS...it pays to be friendly to the cashiers :)
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are cheaper, definately. In season fruits are also cheaper, but when the summer arrives, try to find a local farmer's market. Not only is their produce fresher than a supermarket, it's most likely organic and you can get more for less.