Hey Runners! (Whether you run 10 steps or 10 miles)

Options
2»

Replies

• IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm a new runner (did C25K Sept - October 2010)- and really poor (still glacially slow)...my trick for said moments is the Nike + GPS app. I can tap it for a "power song" which I've previously set up. There are a few songs that can get me to push through be it their tempo/riffs/etc or the lyrics are inspiring. Hope that helps. Always glad to help ya', Gunz!
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the ideas so far!

I'd just like to add that I do NOT view stopping to walk as a bad thing, in case I gave anyone that impression. I used to weigh pretty close to 350lbs and if I wouldn't have worked myself up to where I am now by talking walking breaks, I'd still weigh 350lbs. I do still occasionally allow myself guilt-free walk breaks when I'm pushing myself hard enough...I guess I'm talking about when the mind is ready to quit before the body. I feel like I've been running long enough and far enough and gotten to the point where I shouldn't need* to walk, but I still want to. I'd like to get past that.

I do listen to good music...and breathe rhythmically to my steps (breathe in for 3-4 steps, then out for 3-4 steps) and that makes it easier too, but isn't always enough.

Carry on! :)

PS - Loved the Zombies too! :)

Oops! Hit save too quick before I was finished!
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    One other thought that a former colleague gave me (who's a tri-athlete)...she takes 10 really deep breaths and then she can usually push forward. This has worked for me too usually...especially cuz I usually lose count by 5 or 6. But that's cuz my mind is a sieve. :)
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help, but it gets me through ;) A couple months ago I saw something in a magazine that stuck with me and has helped me push when my mind wants to quit before I am ready. It is "The motivation to push your body comes from within." I put it as part of my signature so I won't forget it. I just say that repeatedly in my head as I think about why I don't want to stop. I also just focus on the music I am listening to instead of that little voice telling me to walk ;) But I do still walk 2 min in between my runs, but it is slowly decreasing... Keep up the good work friend!! *hug*
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Get into the music - fist pumpin' *kitten* shakin' booty groovin' on that treadmil! Tell myself "you can do it" chant harder stronger better faster longer over and over again!!!

Work It
    Make It
    Do It
    Makes Us
    Harder
    Better
    Faster
    Stronger
    More Than
    Hour
    Our
    Never
    Ever
    After
    Work is
    Over

Work It Harder Make It Better
    Do It Faster, Makes Us stronger
    More Than Ever Hour After
    Our Work Is Never Over

I LOVE YOU. This is like the most motivational song for me, I save it for last moments hahaha...
    When I'm running and having a tough time and just feel like stopping to walk, the thought or technique I use to keep myself going is to think about zombies running after me, think how hot I wanna look in a swimsuit/underwear, think of my belly fat melting away...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great music and jelly beans!

I feel parched when I'm running. I had a pocket full of sour jelly beans (YUM!) during my last 5k, and I popped one or two every two songs on the mp3 player. It gave me just enough juiciness in my mouth to make me not feel thirsty. And tasted soooo good.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I do deep breathing and slow my running pace slightly- then pick it up again after about a couple of minutes!

If I really am exhausted, I'd walk (if I wasn't feeling physically able to keep running.)

If its a mental block problem; I count, give myself a talking too, sounds silly but I imagine how it will feel if I continue and get to the end, I think about what I will be able to do when I have nailed this distance at this pace, if I'm inside on the treadmill I'll mix it up a bit speed and incline wise - to distract myself!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking sometimes. I'm not sure where you are running, but I always run outside and I pick landmarks along the way and try to run just a little further every day before I let myself walk. I also try and walk just a little bit less every time. Music also helps a lot. Not sure if you were ever a runner before, I used to run a lot and just reminding myself of the shape that I used to be in and how far I used to be able to run makes me keep pushing myself.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have some water (I always run with a water bottle), and think of making the next km. I think briefly about any pain I have, then ignore it, and concentrate on feeling as if someone is pushing me a long from behind, so I can't stop. Just keep breathing, just take the next breath, only 6km to go, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......

I'm not sure it would work for me past about 14km, though!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Can't say for a treadmill can't run more than 2 miles on them to boring. but outside I'll walk about 5 feet and say ok now you can do more because those people are watching and they think your slow.( I run back roads in a small town there are no people!!) but for what ever reason the thought always gets me moving again
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I'm not sure how far you're running but I always find the first 2 miles are the hardest. After 2 miles, the running high kicks in and I'm just lost in the run. I'm a book-a-holic and live to run for my audio book fix. www.audible.com has a great selection for iPod and MP3 players. I prefer running outside but now can run on the treadmill - the book distracts my mind so it's not so boring. I'm far from a speed demon as my training runs vary from 13 to 15 min mile paces...

To get through the first 2 miles - I count steps, imagine the distance as if running outside, make calculations of how far I've run and how much farther I have to go, slow down to make it easier, try to plan to resume a book at an exciting part (yeah, I'll admit to listening to several books at a time) etc...

Good luck!!! Run, Baby, Run...
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    I'm echoing dinos and megan- bust out some galloway- even if it's 10 steps sometimes it's enough to change my feelings about what Im doing- specially if it's just in training. Today for me it was picturing the time I wanted to beat (so I guess keeping my goals in mind). I also like to know where my downhill slopes are and when it hurts I tell myself I'll be fine once I go down hill... and I usually am... or have seen something shiny by then and forgotten about it. :glasses:
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I start picking little markers in front of me "Okay, just make it to that tree", then when I get to that tree, do it again... "Okay, just make it to the speed limit sign". It helps cut up the distance a bit and after awhile the objects get further and further apart (or sometimes on bad days, closer and closer) but it helps me focus on getting those mini accomplishments on my way to the bigger accomplishments.

I also second the idea, though, that walking is NOT bad. I will be doing my first marathon this June and I will be using galloway's method of run/walk :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier, and I wanted to add that self reflection on how far I've come in a few months (from totally out of shape in January to being able to run for 30 minutes straight in March) ususally psyches me up and gets me motivated to push through whatever discomfort I'm in. I also picture my kids being proud of me for being so strong to keep running..... I think it's the focus on the progress I've made and my reluctance to return to my former self/ pride at my accomplishments that helps me focus and push.
    Did that make ANY sense?
    ~maddymama