What is your #1 weight loss tip?

Options
2»

Replies

• 65kar52
    65kar52 Posts: 23
    Options
    Grab snippets of time for working out - half an hour here, half an hour there - it's better than nothing :)

4370030.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out your favorite foods. For example if you are a chocolate addict allow yourself to have a piece of dark chocolate or sugar free pudding or something so you don't get to the point where you crave it and then binge on it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Log everything good and bad that way you cant cheat yourself,
    Water and LOTS of it.
    A mixture of cardio and strenght training.
    and for me getting wieghed regularly, tho I know others who dont agree with this, its keeps me on track,
    Dont deny yourself anything just factor it in to your eating plan every now and again.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Get the junk food out of the house. If someone else in the family eats it, keep it elsewhere. Reducing temptation helps a lot. The more u eat that stuff, the more you want it. After a week or two I lose my cravings for it.

This is a good point I love biscuits and cake but would never buy them, my partner has agreed not to bring anymore into the house and now buys the sweets I dont like instead i.e cadburys cream eggs, yuk Far to sweet.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Log your food in advance.

Logging after you have eaten is too late - if you log in advance you can see where you are piling on the calories and make healthy changes.

Also weigh your carbs, do not guess with things like rice / pasta until you are confident you know how much you are making for yourself.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've only just started but I did my research!
    Sci Lit:
    -Extracts of green tea,
    -extracts of brocolli
    -garlic oil
    ...each independently stopped animals from getting as fat.

Peter Dingle, based on the sci lit as well, but I didn't check his sources:
    -Sprint training, regular fast walks or runs up stairs across the day (breaks from the computer). Weight training.
    -Reducing the white bread, white pasta, white potato and sugar. This has the effect of stabilising your sugar levels.

Adele Davis, based on the sci lit as well, but I didn't check her sources:
    -OIL! Must have oil to:
    a) lose weight
    b) stick to the diet (avoid binges)
    c) avoid gaining the weight later
    -Calcium Magnesium Vitamin E

The days I've found myself satisfied across the day and feeling full without cravings have usually included a combination of some of the following foods:
    - oil like coconut oil in my substantial breakfast smoothie
    - minestrone with beans and just a little pasta (olive oil added at the end to help you absorb the good lycopene from your tomato sauce)
    - big salad with things like finely sliced cabbage, lettuce, seeds, oil with something like lemon juice or vinegar, apple (sweet), maybe with herbs or cheese.
    - water
    - being productive and not hanging around the house bored. Exercise is good for my mind as well as body.

I feel pretty good and the only thing I haven't reduced that I probably should is coffee. Anecdotally it causes your stress hormones to flair up and make your body want to put on weight around your gut.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Log your food in advance.

Logging after you have eaten is too late - if you log in advance you can see where you are piling on the calories and make healthy changes.

Also weigh your carbs, do not guess with things like rice / pasta until you are confident you know how much you are making for yourself.

Good tip!
  • mikerouse
    mikerouse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found that cooking everything from scratch helped loads. I was able to drastically cut down on the calories and fat by missing or substituting certain ingredients like oil, butter, etc. It also helped me understand more about what I was putting in to my body.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This site - logging calories ahead of time - even if I don't stick to my day's plan, i do try to compensate as by logging, it is in my head!
    Sweet potatoes, bakery bread that is about 110 calories for 2 slices. Lots of snacks - eating every 4 hours. Exercise and water and NO JUNK FOOD available in my home, no exceptions. Weighing in most days, I am not one who can do it weekly but for those who can, great.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    patience. whether it's 5 lbs or 200 lbs you need to lose, you didn't gain it over night right? weight loss takes time and I see lots of posts of people wanting fast results and reality sets in and people get fusterated, lose hope, give up. etc. etc.

You beat me to it.

It took around 4 years and over 50lbs to get to my ideal weight. There are many bumps in the road and its how you pick yourself up that will determine your success.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My best tip is very simple ... DO NOT QUIT. People don't fail at losing weight because they "can't" do it. They fail because they quit. They give up. I was that person for a very long time. I "tried" to lose weight, and when it didn't happen right away, I quit. But 1 year, 2 months, and 23 days ago, I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't quit this time. Today, I am half the size I was when I made that promise to myself.

With about 20 lbs to go before I enter the maintenance phase, the best advice I can offer is to keep going. There will be good days and bad. There will be days when you will go to sleep knowing you gave it your best effort, and there will be days when you will have trouble sleeping because you'll feel guilty about eating something you shouldn't have or not doing your workout as planned. Nobody is perfect at this. Nobody makes the right decision 100% of the time. And that's okay. All that matters is that you don't let the occasional bad decision prevent you from making good ones, too.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps me from getting hungry.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    DRINK MORE WATER

This one thing has been the most helpful change I have made to myself in the past 4 months.
  • bluk30
    bluk30 Posts: 37
    Options
    Don't be afraid to do things contrary to what you read. All that matters is that your plan works for YOU.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    dblpst.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    though a number of things combined make the biggest difference to me, i htink not drinking soda was the number one thing that has contributed to any successes i may have.

and it's not because of the soda itself, which is pretty crappy. but the fact that i was constantly going tot he store for it. while there, i may have pickd up other things like chips or chocolate.

i also quit smoking, so now i almost never go to the store except for groceries, but taht's only once a week, too.

the next biggest thing was to cut out all processed foods. anything with a barcode gets the once-over. if it has more than one ingredient, i pass on it.

i don't keep any junk food in the house. if i want a snack, i eat granola, nuts, celery or carrots. sometimes cheese, too. i dont' have a tv, so i'm not tempted by commercials showing "tasty" food (which is really just food dipped in salt and a side beverage of sugar).

we grow much of our own food, joined a CSA. We're in it for our health.

i sold my car almost 4 years ago and now ride my bike everywhere i go. i burn about 1000 cals/day because i commute 20miles (rt).

but maybe mroe than anything else, i don't beat myself up too much. i try to be happy with who i am at every moment.
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    don't just do cardio strength train as well.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    watch what you eat (particularily portion sizes)