Do you plan your calories?

Options
I am thinking about planning my calories throughout the day to help meal plan a bit better.

Do you do that?

I am thinking based on a 1500 cal day.

Breakfast 300
Lunch 500
Dinner 600
Snack 100 (not a big snacker)

Replies

• Kjohnson2387
    Kjohnson2387 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I, in a sense, do that... I will plan my meals ahead of time and input them in the calorie tracker during the morning hours, that way I can adjust and make sure I dont stray from what I've put down to eat.
  • LMG0511
    LMG0511 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do! I input my meals the night before. Works for me!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I do try to plan my days, but I also try to have my biggest meal at breakfast, smaller one at lunch, and smallest for dinner. This doesn't always work out, of course, but I aim for it. I am a big snacker, so I eat frequently and I try to stay steady all day.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I dont plan what calories Im having per meal, but I often put my food and exercise in my diary first thing in the morning so I know what I have left over for snacks etc
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I plan all meals and snacks each week, put it into Excel, then hang it on the fridge. This makes grabbing lunches and the meat out of the freezer for dinner quick and easy, and I also generate my grocery list from this plan . . . so we now waste nothing either. I find the better your plan, the better chance of sucess you will have.
    I've been doing this for over a year now so can make my weekly plan and know that each day is right around my proper calorie mark. It took me some time to get here but it is really easy once you get on a roll.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I try to keep my meals about the same each day so I guess I do kind of do that. Anyways my trainer told me its best to eat most of your calories in the morning.....so obviously you'll burn them off throughout the day. This doesn't work well for me because I just tend to be hungier in the evening but maybe something toconsider.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals as far in advance as possible this works for me as a) It helps with shopping and b) I can see what I am eating / where I am having too many calories and make healthier choices.

I tend to plan Monday to Friday on the Monday morning and then on Friday I plan my weekend meals...

Dinner is always my most calorific meal (around the 500cals mark)
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea. I plan my calories. I log everything in the morning. My biggest problem was that I wasn't eating enough at work. I wasn't packing enough at work to eat. I find it makes it easier to stay on track. I am at 1200 calories a day. I eat around 300 for each meal and then about 150 for my two snacks plus i eat back my workout calories.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I plan... or try to most of the time.

They say your biggest meal should be breakfast to get your metabolism started for the day. My boyfriend (who went from a size 46 to a size 32) says this: Eat like a prince at breakfast, a middle class person at lunch, and a poor person at dinner in regards to how big your meals are.

your body burns more in the morning than at night... :)
  • kcphilly
    kcphilly Posts: 71
    Options
    I've done it in the past for "free days" when I know I'm going out to certain restaurants cause I always order the same things. That's on the weekends so I put it in earlier in the week to remind myself to try and go a little under during the rest of the week to bank up some calories.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My diary is pretty much complete for the day already.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have to plan my calories, otherwise I end up going way over :wink:
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't plan specifically around the perfect amount of calories I'm going to spend on eat meal. - I just throw in my lunch box what I feel is healthy and make sure all together I have around 200-300cal left for dinner. :) Example today:

Oatmeal
    Apple
    Orange
    Grapes
    Tuna Sandwich (w/ Relish and Celery)
    Beef Jerky
    Granola bar

Whatever I end up eating I will throw in my food diary and see how much I have left for dinner! ^^
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead when I go out with friends. I do some research on a restaurant's website, play with the toppings, sides and what not. I try to keep within my daily calorie goals but don't stress too much if I go over.
  • S446664
    S446664 Posts: 1
    Options
    Before you set your calorie goal I suggest you calculate your daily calorie needs based on your metabolic rate at rest. For example, if you metabolic rate at rest is 1,400 calories per day (the amount of calories you will need to "live"). You then can "earn" calories depending on your activity level (i.e. if you do a spinning class for 45 minutes, you may use up to 500 calories), add this to your base of 1400, then you can eat 1,900 calories that day without guilt. If you want to lose weight you adjust your calorie intake accordingly (500 calories less a day will help you lose 1 pound a week). If you have a gym nearby, ask them if they provide that service. It will cost you around $50. It takes about 10 minutes.
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I kind of do that also. I actually input my dinner first because that is our family meal together. Then, I go from there. I think you should do whatever works best for you!! :wink:
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes! Not only does it help me control calorie intake but it also helps me plan for an even blood sugar through out the day. My blood sugar is very screwed up - if I eat too many carbs such as pancakes and orange juice I will feel off for the whole day but if I don't eat enough carbs then I will also crash. I have to plan my meals to have carbs, fat, and protein otherwise it's downhill for me.

It's also a great way to know what I need to buy for groceries and have the least waste possible. Plus if I plan for lunches and snacks I'm not tempted to just grab something on the fly and blow my calorie intake.

Good luck. Try planning for a week at a time or as often as you grocery shop. It takes me about an hour every two weeks to plan but I get to try new recipes and my hubby knows what's for dinner since it's posted on the fridge.
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I always log what I think I'm going to eat at the beginning of the day or the night before so I know if I have any calories left over.
  • eguillory79
    Options
    I plan my meals the night before and log them into my food diary. It works for me during the week, because I only eat what I have already logged.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Before you set your calorie goal I suggest you calculate your daily calorie needs based on your metabolic rate at rest. For example, if you metabolic rate at rest is 1,400 calories per day (the amount of calories you will need to "live"). You then can "earn" calories depending on your activity level (i.e. if you do a spinning class for 45 minutes, you may use up to 500 calories), add this to your base of 1400, then you can eat 1,900 calories that day without guilt. If you want to lose weight you adjust your calorie intake accordingly (500 calories less a day will help you lose 1 pound a week). If you have a gym nearby, ask them if they provide that service. It will cost you around $50. It takes about 10 minutes.

You can also do this for free using a BMR calculator. MFP has one or you can Google it.