how long is enough time to think something over......

Options
dean0721
dean0721 Posts: 143
is seriously thinking of taking a job over in the states............How long is enough time to think it over...??

Replies

• hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    OMG....where in the states?? That would be a huge decision.... I would make a pro/con list for sure. I guess it depends on your current circumstances, and if you are willing to take chances.
  • susancelli928
    Options
    is seriously thinking of taking a job over in the states............How long is enough time to think it over...??
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    thats a drastic change ,you can weigh up all the pros & cons ,but at the end of the day it is a big decision to up & leave ,have you been before ,can you keep stuff going here & go & check it out for a month ,some people have everything to leave for & they still cant quite do it ,it takes a lot of guts to up & go & can be hard to get everything going & sorted in a new country ,but you would know the language ! so that helps .
    i have never looked back from leaving the uk & it was a tough one to start off & still have struggles now but on the whole yes was worth it, have experienced so much in the last 7 years & it is a journey that can be a whole load of fun ,so for me i would reccomend the change to anyone & if you can get over leaving what you know you can find so much more ,yes its a lot further than the trip i made but you can allways go back to the uk , nothing is ever permanent & you can change your mind whenever you want ,do some research into the area you want to go ,find out how health care works over there ,all the day to day stuff that will be different to the uk & then decide yes or no to give it a go .
    how you feeling by the way ?
  • shandy32
    shandy32 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Id say take as long as it takes...

Only do it if you are sure its what you really want, just think of what you will be leaving behind and weigh it all up.
  • cesctheman
    cesctheman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Dean
    All depends on your circumstances and to leave everything or take them with you.
    If anything goes wrong would it be the same if you come back.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old you are, or your marital status or if you have kids.

But, if your young, single and no one is depending on your cash flow, I say go for it. Life is short. Don't look back and ask yourself, "What if.....?"

I took advantage of every opportunity. Some might be interpreted as successful; some may be interpreted as unsucessful or follish, but they have all led me to where I am today. Happy and Successful. I wouldn't change anything. Not even the bad decisions. Any other choices may have led somewhere else.

Even the bad choices, if you survive, help you make more informed later on. They make great stories later.
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I say go. I love adventure and moved a lot when I was younger. Now I'm running my own businesses and have kids so I've slowed way down, but that was s great time in my life and I'm glad I did it. What do you have to loose you can always go back and who knows if you'll every have the opportunity again.
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Never rush a decision like that. You'd have so many things to consider. Here's a few, just in case you're trying to make sure you cover them all...

Do you have any family in the states?
    Where would you live and have you researched that area...crime, fun stuff, weather?
    Would you get vacation to go back 'home'?
    Is the assignment permanent or temporary?

Basically you just need to sit down, grade school style and write out the pros and cons. At least that is what I do. I just kind of push my way through them to decide what is best for me. Good luck :drinker:
  • heathernsugar
    Options
    I must say I personally pray about it until I get an answer from God.
    Then I will follow wherever He leads me because He is the light unto my path!!

:smile:
  • mrswibbs
    mrswibbs Posts: 31
    Options
    I must say I personally pray about it until I get an answer from God.
    Then I will follow wherever He leads me because He is the light unto my path!!

:smile:
    I was thinking along the same lines… :wink:
    Won't hurt to at least give it a try, hey!? (Pray, I mean)
    I'll pray for you too;
    ...this is a HUGE decision, but the God I believe in is bigger still.
    Keep us posted
    x
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    ooh dear is all can say with that !!!:huh:
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    WOW! I hate taking risks so I think I would take a loooonnnngggg time to think this one through.

Definitely make a pro's and con's list and ask any significant others what their opinions are.

I reckon it will take you a few weeks to come to a decision.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say, like someone else said, it depends on the situation and how big the decision is! I've been thinking over something major since 2009 and I still haven't decided!!

What do you have there that is holding you back?
  • katnotfat
    katnotfat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think that you should think about it for sure, but that you should be open to challenging yourself. If you think this could be a good opportunity for you, go right ahead and live a little! It may be scarey... but what big changes aren't a little scarey? It's just a move, yah.. a big move... but just a move. You could always move back! I live in the states, it isn't that bad :-P
    Like others have said, think about pros and cons. Could you gain experience from this? work exp? life exp?
    Also- in regards to "how long is enough time to think something over" if this is a job opportunity, how long do you have to think it over? The offer may not be on the table for a long time...

Ultimately it is up to you, do what is best for yourself. I wish you luck!
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If you decide to come here at least you can bring all of us with you! :)
  • dean0721
    dean0721 Posts: 143
    Options
    great advice, thanks everyone....:happy: