Fitness Pal, "Allowed Amount of Estimated Intake of Calories

Options
So,

I have a bit of an issue and I am sure this is why I easily gaine weight. My estimated, "allowed" amount of daily calories is 1200 and just about everyone I know say that this is extrememly easy to hit, which it is. However, on a normal basis for myself, I do not heat 1200 calories a day. Honestly, most people say I eat very little and this isn't really by choice. This is more because my stomach and "shrunk" so much from dieting within the past that now it cannot handle more than just a few bites before becoming full.

I know when you exercise, you need to intake more calories and I know how most of it goes. The thing is, I started a lifestyle a few years ago and do not eat like th average, "American". I eat very litte, eat lots of veggies, fruits, do not intake drinks that have sugar or calories and I am very limited on the amount of both bread and meat that I eat. My friends are always making comments about how some people have to eat in order to survive so I am sure that gives you a good description of the picture.

So, does anyone have any advice? Should I maybe try eating "fattier" food this week in order to shock my body by intaking those calories and keep on the exercise path that I have created for myself? Or, should I just keep going as is and just add more exercise into my day that way I can burn these calories and see the weight loss results?

Replies

• AshaDidIt
    AshaDidIt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes?
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, fruit , small more frequent meals.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I think you need to do more tan just " try eating "fattier" food this week". If you've been depriving your body for years, it could take weeks or months of healthier eating to get your metabolism back. The process will certainly involve gaining weight at first but it's certainly well worth.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    do a forum search. i ran across a list awhile back of high-calorie, healthy foods. i haven't needed to refer to that list, so i don't know where it is exactly, but it's got stuff on it like string cheese, avocado, and nuts. i remember those things cuz i cut them out of my diet for lower-calorie, healthy snacks like tomatoes, etc.

lots of people around here suggest s spoonful of peanut butter, too. there are lots of ways to get those extra calories in there without having to eat a ton and without sacrificing your health.
  • LaLa2469
    LaLa2469 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello, my suggestion would incorporate more meats into your diet. Along with increasing the amount of veggies and fruits. Also, make sure you take a daily vitamin. Your body will go into starvation mode, if it does not get enough calories. It will make loosing weight hard, however, you do not have to eat foods that are not good for you or that you dislike. Everyone needs a little fat in their diet, which you can get by increasing your meats. If you don't care for meats, you can try Tofu or other substitutes.

Have a Blessed Day,

Lauren
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Something sounds a bit off...it's great to eat tons of fruits and veggies but you shouldn't have to eat "fatty" to hit 1200. There's a lot on the forums about eating too little calories and how much it slows down your metabolism. It sounds like you might in that area. Try healthy protiens, complex carbohydrates and good fats to get your calorie count up and know your body needs fuel to keep going! 1200 isn't for everyone and I don't buy the entire starvation mode but I think its a good parameter for the amount of food you need at the least.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try to make every meal that little bit bigger? Maybe an extra few grams of carbs here and there.

Fruit is also great for extra calrories!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think you need to do more tan just " try eating "fattier" food this week". If you've been depriving your body for years, it could take weeks or months of healthier eating to get your metabolism back. The process will certainly involve gaining weight at first but it's certainly well worth.

I agree. You may gain at first but don't panic. It is also more so doing something you can stick with. You said you have been eating more whole foods that are healthier. Try adding the good for you fats in there. Try almonds, advocado's or all natural peanut butter. You need to make sure you are feeding yourself healthy. Some fats are good for you. Those are caloreis that will sustain you without having to eat a ton of them or go against what you are already eating or avoiding to eat.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 calories on a daily basis and are overweight there must be some type of a medical problem. The formula for weight loss is simple: you need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound. You can look to see how many calories you burn on a daily basis--and chances are it is around 1200. Try lifting weights. Adding this exercise is going to require you to eat more protein and you will be a lot hungrier. On top of that, your added muscle will cause you to burn more calories doing your regular activities.

Good luck!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 calories on a daily basis and are overweight there must be some type of a medical problem.

Agreed. If you're really and truly eating 1200 calories or less per day and are still overweight, that means your body is burning way less than 1200 calories per day. I'm 5'6" tall and I would burn over 1000 calories a day, lying perfectly still, just maintaining my basic metabolic functions like breathing and pumping blood. Please make an appointment with your doctor to get your thyroid checked!

A friend of mine eats like a bird and no one could figure out why she kept putting on weight. She finally got her thryoid checked and that's what it was. The doctor put her on thyroid medication and she dropped 40 pounds in a year without changing anything else.

Best of luck to you!
  • sk8tergurl55
    Options
    I do eat a lot of healthier fatty foods. I am always eating all natural almonds, eating cheese, etc
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating many small meals throughout the day. If you intake food as 100-200 calories every few hours, you can eat more calories without stuffing yourself. I find myself eating 4-5 "little" meals of about 200 calories each over the course of the day, and then one "big" meal most days. Breaking my calorie goal into small meals makes it much more approachable for me since I have some digestive issues that make it hard to stomach very large meals, and since I'm trying to hit around 1600-1800 calories most days.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    A friend of mine eats like a bird and no one could figure out why she kept putting on weight. She finally got her thryoid checked and that's what it was. The doctor put her on thyroid medication and she dropped 40 pounds in a year without changing anything else.

Amen! I can't blame all my past failures on this, but getting it checked (it was out of whack and affecting MANY things) and back into working order with medication has certainly helped. I was battling a losing battle otherwise.