Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) calories?

Options
Does anybody have an idea how many calories Bikram, or hot yoga burns? I know it is much more than regular yoga, but am not sure how many to log

Thanks!

Replies

• minmatt
    minmatt Posts: 62
    Options
    Depends on how long you go to class, your exertion level, etc..

I usually burn between 600-900 cals for a 90 minute class. 60 minute standing/cardio, 30 minute ground poses
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Just type in Bikram yoga as a search in th exercise section....it will come up, I created it :smile: Bikram burns a lot, and I got the calorie information from bikram-yoga-noosa-australia dot com.
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    Options
    OMG...that calculator! Given my weight (a lot), I'd burn SO MANY calories! I used to do some Bikram yoga a few years back. It was so hard but felt SOOO good afterwards.

Should really add it into my fitness regimine to help with flexibility. :)
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    Options
    OMG...that calculator! Given my weight (a lot), I'd burn SO MANY calories! I used to do some Bikram yoga a few years back. It was so hard but felt SOOO good afterwards.

Should really add it into my fitness regimine to help with flexibility. :)
  • beelouise5
    Options
    Totally! I call it my "lazy girl workout," because the whole thing requires such little movement, but when I leave, I feel shaky and weak...wonderfully exhausted :)
  • beelouise5
    Options
    Oh awesome- thanks so much
  • hot_yoga_lover
    Options
    My "hot yoga" is Moksha, so I used this site: http://www.livestrong.com/article/304013-calories-burned-with-moksha-yoga/ - "A 140-lb. person will burn 440 calories in one hour of hot yoga, including Moksha and its ancestor Bikram." Then I calculated how many calories per minute and per pound, then adjusted it for each class I take (some are 60 minutes, some 75). Once you enter it into your personal exercise log it will automatically update the calories burned for you depending on the length of the class. :) Namaste!!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    With respect, how do you calculate the calories burned in a Bikram class?

If it is with a HRM, then be careful of the readings you get as the heart is beating faster just to try to cool the body down and this is not burning extra calories but your HRM will take the elevated heartrate and give a higher calorific reading - just as they do in weight lifting.

If it is calculated in another way, I would be interested to know how you arrive at such high calorie burns - not doubting it, but interested as a fellow Yogi.

I do know my Vinyasa Flow type Yoga sessions burn around 500 calories for 75mins so your readings are not excessively high compared to a low intensity Hatha Yoga.