Wanted: Easy recipes for a college student!

Options
Katy_Adele
Katy_Adele Posts: 20 Member
So as my title says i'm in college and I never know what to make for dinner that can be healthy and filling which result in me eating a lean cuisin for dinner which I like, but am getting bored with! I want some dinner recipes that are easy to make that don't require a grill because we don't have one however they can involve the stove, oven, and microwave! If you have any suggestions please let me know! Thank you :)

Replies

• btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Breona420
    Options
    "dont require a grill"? as in no cooking?! or no BBQing?
    If no cooking, I suggest:
    *Tuna- No mayo, I add a bit of relish, some onion, and lemon
    * Plain non fat Yogurt with some fruit- your choice. i use strawberries, black berries and blueberries
    *oatmeal- NO SUGAR! I like to add bananas and strawberries
    If you do have a stove,
    *Salmon!- It literally takes 20 mins in the oven
    * Beef stirfry. I'd say this takes about 30 mins

Thats about all i got lol
  • Katy_Adele
    Options
    good question about the grill. we just don't have one, so the recipes can include the oven, stove, and microwave. thank you for your suggestions!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Taco salad. brown glean ground beeef or ground turkey and serve over lettuce, tomato etc. use salsa or hot sauce as a dressing go light on the cheese.

chicken salad. I make mine with 40 oz canned chicken, 4 oz plain greek yogurt, 1/3 of a hidden valley ranch seasoning packet, 2/3 cup read seedless grapes and walnuts. Make 4 servings about 250 cals per serving dependind on teh brands you use. eat on wheat bred, crackers or make lettuce wraps.

Do you have an oven? If yes get a whole chicken squeeze 3 lemons in a cup add salt pepper and rosemaryy. Put under teh skin of teh chickn poor rest over teh top. put lemons inside the chicken to infuse flavor cook according to directiosn on teh chicken package. serve with veggies.

I wish we could shre recipies more easily I have a million. Good luck!
  • rkellywhite
    rkellywhite Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Take a low-carb tortilla (La Tortilla Factory - 110 calories), lavash bread, or even english muffin and throw on any of your favorite HEALTHY pizza toppings. Put in the oven on broil and watch carefully. I don't use low-fat cheese because I don't like it and don't feel it adds any flavor to my pizza. So, I use ricotta cheese. There's "turkey pepperoni" on the market. Check that out! Delicious and very college friendly.

Wheat pasta and store-bought pesto with a side salad.

Ground turkey cooked with cumin, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper for lettuce wrapped tacos.

All college friendly and easy on the budget.
  • sam88keys
    sam88keys Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice is one of my major staples. Brown rice is healthier and more filling than white rice but it takes a little bit longer to cook. If you have a crockpot, you can cook dried beans over the weekend to make different types of soup or chili. Both dishes are largely unattended and I have never actually ruined a pot of beans or rice, so they're pretty easy too. The easiest way to cook the rice is by following the instructions on the bag (about 20 minutes for white rice, 40 for brown rice). For beans, there are also instructions on the bag for cooking it on the stove (plan for a couple hours cooking time); otherwise if you have a crockpot, you can put in the beans and enough water to cover the beans, any seasonings (salt, bay leaf, etc) and turn the crockpot on high for about 4-6 hours, depending on how soft you want the beans to turn out. I usually like to make my beans on the weekend, eat themfor a few days, and freeze the remainder to have later (you don't want to get sick of eating the same thing again and again!). I like to keep a lot of different frozen veggies on hand so I can make a really quick rice stir-fry - cook frozen veggies in a pan until thawed and warm, add rice, stir together, and add a bit of soy sauce for flavor if you wish.

Of course, salads are always easy and quick to make - lettuce (pre-shredded if you really want to save on time), tomatoes, sunflower seeds or nuts for protein, cucumbers, and any other veggies you like plus a dressing of oil and vinegar (I personally alternate between light olive oil and white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar with some salt, pepper, and oregano to taste). To mix up the salad, you can throw in fruit with the lettuce and make a balsamic vinaigrette to toss.

In general, when I'm planning my dinner, I like to bulk up on the veggies since those are low-calorie and filling. Frozen veggies are really cheap and really easy to thaw on the stove as a hot side to your main meal, plus there's so much variety available that you normally can't get in the fresh produce section.

Hope this helps and happy cooking!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I just have to say first off that the boxed freezer meals usually contain an ungodly amount of sodium! Just watch out for that, because too much sodium contributes to weight. Any how, I've got a a recipe that isn't too caloric:

Make this glaze for chicken or boneless porkchops:

2 TBS Clover Honey
    1 TBS Yellow Mustard
    1 TBS Chili Powder
    1/4 TSP Salt
    1/4 TSP Black Pepper
    (enough to baste 2 chicken breasts, 73 cal each)

In the oven on a cookie sheet:

Cut up baby red potatoes tossed in olive oil, black pepper, italian seasoning and fresh minced garlic, baked @ 350 for approx. 30 min, turning a couple times during the baking, until fork tender and edges are crispy.
    (if you do 4 larger red potatoes quartered and tossed with 1 TBS EVOO, makes 2 servings @ 280 cal each)

On separate cookie sheet fresh asparagus spears with olive oil, pepper, and any seasoning you like (I use Mrs. Dash garlic and herb, salt free) Bake at same temp about 15-20 min turning once or until desired doneness.
    (10 spears, 1 TBS EVOO and seasoning is 2 servings @ 80 cal each)

In a skillet cook tenderized chicken breast: using a basting brush apply glaze repeatedly, cooking for approx 5-6 min per side on medium-low heat, or until juices run clear.
    (4 oz Chicken breast is 110 cal)

TOTAL: 443 cal each for a plate full of good-for-you yummy goodness!
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    Superstar...do you live in a dorm or in an off-campus apartment? Do you have a crock pot? I ask because I'm a grad student, and I've found that crock-pot recipes are much easier for busy schedules. Plus, you can cook a few days worth of food at a time if you don't mind a lot of leftovers.

In the meantime - here's a Turkey Burger recipe:

Sparkpeople recipes - Cajun Turkey Burgers. Tasty and very easy to make. Enjoy!

1 pound lean ground turkey.
    1 red pepper, chopped.
    1 cup onion, chopped.
    Cajun seasoning

Mix chopped red pepper and onion in with ground turkey. Add cajun seasoning to taste. Divide into four patties. Burgers can be grilled on a Foreman Grill or in a skillet sprayed with Pam. Cook until center is no longer pink. Each quarter-pound (pre-cooked weight) burger is 179 cals.

I served the burgers on an Arnold's multi-grain sandwich thin (100 calories each) and a tomato garnish.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 271
    Options
    4 kallo low fat wholegrain rice cakes
    40 g double concentrated tomato purée
    1 tin tuna (135g drained)
    150g low fat cottage cheese

Spread a thinish layer of tomato purée on each cracker, put tuna on top, then dollop cottage cheese on top of that. Shove in a moderate oven for 5-10 minutes.
  • Katy_Adele
    Options
    thank you everyone for the suggestions!