Why isn't fruit a calorie free item?

Options

Replies

• downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If your going to be on such a low calories restriction diet, why don't you just do the low carb and high protein approach? Have you ever tried it? Eating very low carbs and high protein is virtually the same as eating a low calorie diet as it will put you into ketosis and your body will burn the fat instead of the carbs. This way, you won't have to restrict your calories as much, maybe keep them at around 1500 a day and you will still lose weight. You might be carb sensitive, if you weren't losing on a 1200 calories a day diet?! It's something to condsider, just a thought. I know when I hit a plateau after I lost my first 30 pounds, I did the low carb diet for 3-4 days and was able to break through it. You could even do carb cycling, such as 2 normal calorie days then maybe 3 very low carb days, on those low carb days you won't be very hungry either. Just thought I'd throught this out there...Good Luck!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Food has calories...you need calories for your body to function. Fruit has natural sugars and calories and nutrients and vitamins etc etc etc....eat the banana...count the calories...benefit from the fuel and the nutrients....I try to balance my fruit with a protein also to stay satisfied longer
  • kelsully
    Options
    Food has calories...you need calories for your body to function. Fruit has natural sugars and calories and nutrients and vitamins etc etc etc....eat the banana...count the calories...benefit from the fuel and the nutrients....I try to balance my fruit with a protein also to stay satisfied longer
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I know how you feel! I was putting 1/2 frozen banana in my smoothies and not losing much because I eat alot of fruit! So my approach is to lower my fruit intake because my body LOVES sugar, not matter how it gets it. The meals i started today cuts way back on fruit and I am alotted certain types!! Goot luck!
  • RobinSturgeon
    RobinSturgeon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is why i find the new 'weight watchers points plus' diet so crazy...im on it now. They tell you not to count fruits and vegies. But i was eating lots because they were 0 and i didnt lose 1 single pound in the last three weeks, Thats why im on here, im tracking everything. I even put in a perfect day were i stayed within my points allowance and included the fruit this time and i had eaten 400 cal worth of fruit!!! No wonder the scale wasnt moving! Somewhere in the middle is a good diet, i just have to find whats right for me...
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No im not on an HCG diet, and my doctor who specializes in weight loss (by eating right and exercising) recommended that I lower my calorie intake to 800, he said if I am hungry by all means eat more, but try to stay under 1000, aiming for 800-900 calories per day. My biggest thing is simply that I eat the fruit because im hungry and its not a ton of calories, and I fully understand that we all need calories to function, i guess im just venting. Sorry to have ticked so many people off! The weight watchers diet does not seem to make any sense to me at all where you dont count fruit or veggies at all, they obviously have a calorie amount to them or they would not be classed as food. The only two things I know of that do not have any calories are plain water and dust. Trust me, if i could live off of those two things, i would look fabulous haha. All jokes aside, I was just venting, its just annoying that fruit is supposed to be healthy and a good snack but i guess maybe because of the sugar levels, that makes them high in calories. But i cant have it every way because you couldn't pay me to snack on lettuce leaves and tell you it was tasty. DIETING SUCKS *kitten*!!!
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Am I crazy because I thought celery was the only negative calorie food there is?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    No im not on an HCG diet, and my doctor who specializes in weight loss (by eating right and exercising) recommended that I lower my calorie intake to 800, he said if I am hungry by all means eat more, but try to stay under 1000, aiming for 800-900 calories per day. My biggest thing is simply that I eat the fruit because im hungry and its not a ton of calories, and I fully understand that we all need calories to function, i guess im just venting. Sorry to have ticked so many people off! The weight watchers diet does not seem to make any sense to me at all where you dont count fruit or veggies at all, they obviously have a calorie amount to them or they would not be classed as food. The only two things I know of that do not have any calories are plain water and dust. Trust me, if i could live off of those two things, i would look fabulous haha. All jokes aside, I was just venting, its just annoying that fruit is supposed to be healthy and a good snack but i guess maybe because of the sugar levels, that makes them high in calories. But i cant have it every way because you couldn't pay me to snack on lettuce leaves and tell you it was tasty. DIETING SUCKS *kitten*!!!
    I agree it does suck sometimes but the rewards are so worth it!:wink: When I eat a snack I often pair fruit with a protein and it keeps me satisfied far longer. Perhaps 1/2 medium banana and a serving of raw almonds or even 1/2 serving to keep your cals down. That's a healthy fat, and you get in the fruit you enjoy. Some fruit have a higher sugar content, so the calories do add up more quickly.

It's OK to be frustrated we all get that way from time to time, particularly in the early days. Another food to pair up is perhaps 1/2 an apple and 1 oz. of cheese, that gives you carb/protein/fat for the snack. It might be that the fruit itself is what's not keeping you satisfied and by mixing it with something else that might help?

Good Luck!:happy:
  • kelsully
    Options

I hope you didn't think my response was one of being pissed off. I get that you are frustrated..the whole chemistry experiment of fueling our bodies can be frustrating at times...I guess I was just suggesting to look at the calories as fuel and to appreciate them for what they...necessary components of life and maybe it will help ease the frustration. You will find the right balance...I can't do fruit without a protein as my sugar will get wonky but I still love my fruit. it just takes time to make it all work.
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is why i find the new 'weight watchers points plus' diet so crazy...im on it now. They tell you not to count fruits and vegies. But i was eating lots because they were 0 and i didnt lose 1 single pound in the last three weeks, Thats why im on here, im tracking everything. I even put in a perfect day were i stayed within my points allowance and included the fruit this time and i had eaten 400 cal worth of fruit!!! No wonder the scale wasnt moving! Somewhere in the middle is a good diet, i just have to find whats right for me...

My friend has lost 2 stone using the new ProPoints system on Weight Watchers, but I know I could never do it, and it's for this exact reason! How can you essentially eat an infinite amount of fruit and vegetables every day, when they still have a calorific value?! Can't get my head around it!
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It works because most people don't eat enough fruit and veg anyway, even if it's free.

You have to be eating a heck of a lot of (non-tropical) fruit to kill your weight loss goals, so it works.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    There are such foods as zero or negative calorie foods - they are called this because when eaten raw or cooked with no added fats etc the amount of energy your body takes to digest them is more then the amount of calories they have! If you want more info on this you can google zero or negative calorie foods :smile:

Zero Calorie Foods
    In the following lines, we have provided a list of zero calorie foods, including both fruits and vegetables.

VEGETABLES
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Green Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Dandelion
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Cucumber
    Endive
    Garden Cress
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Radish
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

FRUITS
    Apples
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cranberry
    Grape Fruit
    Honey Dew Melons
    Mango
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomato
    Watermelon

Hope this helps :)

That list is WAY off base. I just had asparagus last night and 12 pieces had 60 calories, beets have like 50 calories each, broccoli has 10 calories raw and uncooked...etc. that list is a list filled with caloried items.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Before MFP and before having my son I used to do a "modified" calorie count. I never counted fruits or veggies because they're so healthy; but I'd count everything else to make sure I wasn't eating a whopping amount of food. That's all I did and I was very fit and healthy!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    There are such foods as zero or negative calorie foods - they are called this because when eaten raw or cooked with no added fats etc the amount of energy your body takes to digest them is more then the amount of calories they have! If you want more info on this you can google zero or negative calorie foods :smile:

Zero Calorie Foods
    In the following lines, we have provided a list of zero calorie foods, including both fruits and vegetables.

VEGETABLES
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Green Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Dandelion
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Cucumber
    Endive
    Garden Cress
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Radish
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

FRUITS
    Apples
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cranberry
    Grape Fruit
    Honey Dew Melons
    Mango
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomato
    Watermelon

That list is WAY off base. I just had asparagus last night and 12 pieces had 60 calories, beets have like 50 calories each, broccoli has 10 calories raw and uncooked...etc. that list is a list filled with caloried items.
    Of course they have calories, but what OP was saying is that your body burns that many calories or more when digesting them so at least it evens out (or burns a few extra along the way.)
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    sugar free jelly is lower in calories and more filling than fruit, and sea food sticks are very low too. There isn't a lot else unfortunately! Fat free yoghurt and sugar free hot chocolate powder mixed in is good for a low cal sweet fix.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Zero Calorie Foods

VEGETABLES
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Green Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Dandelion
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Cucumber
    Endive
    Garden Cress
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Radish
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

FRUITS
    Apples
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cranberry
    Grape Fruit
    Honey Dew Melons
    Mango
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomato
    Watermelon

Of course they have calories, but what OP was saying is that your body burns that many calories or more when digesting them so at least it evens out (or burns a few extra along the way.)

:smile: I did say to google "Zero or Negative Calorie" foods :smile:
    That way people can come up with their own opinions! And I do understand that these foods have calories - but just think of how much raw celery/lettuce/ or whatever you'd have to eat to hit your calorie goal for the day??? You'd be so full and quit eating before you even got half way there! The fruit is a little trickier! But it's also full of fiber, so that's a good thing. I think it's everything in moderation.....but if you are STARVING why not eat a bunch of veggies to fill the void - it's also very satisfying to munch on something crunchy and veggies are perfect for that!! But to each their own!! I just figured this poor woman was on an 800 calorie a day doctor prescribed diet - I could toss her some ideas on how to fill the void :smile:

There is a lot of info out there for and against zero/negative calorie foods (just as there is for everything else) You can make your own opinions by doing some research on it!

Thanks HAILSLYRICS for your comments!!!! Sometimes things get a little negative on here and it's nice to have a feel good comment once in awhile :happy:

Edit: I was just going to add......what else can you eat 12 pieces of for only 60 calories that is as nutritious???? If your all about "volume" or "amounts" of food, as I'm sure some of on here are (how else did we get here in the first place??) then veggies are the way to go!!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

Zero Calorie Foods

VEGETABLES
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Broccoli
    Green Cabbage
    Carrot
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Dandelion
    Hot Chili Peppers
    Cucumber
    Endive
    Garden Cress
    Garlic
    Green Beans
    Lettuce
    Onion
    Radish
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

FRUITS
    Apples
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cranberry
    Grape Fruit
    Honey Dew Melons
    Mango
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomato
    Watermelon

That way people can come up with their own opinions! And I do understand that these foods have calories - but just think of how much raw celery/lettuce/ or whatever you'd have to eat to hit your calorie goal for the day??? You'd be so full and quit eating before you even got half way there! The fruit is a little trickier! But it's also full of fiber, so that's a good thing. I think it's everything in moderation.....but if you are STARVING why not eat a bunch of veggies to fill the void - it's also very satisfying to munch on something crunchy and veggies are perfect for that!! But to each their own!! I just figured this poor woman was on an 800 calorie a day doctor prescribed diet - I could toss her some ideas on how to fill the void :smile:

There is a lot of info out there for and against zero/negative calorie foods (just as there is for everything else) You can make your own opinions by doing some research on it!

Thanks HAILSLYRICS for your comments!!!! Sometimes things get a little negative on here and it's nice to have a feel good comment once in awhile :happy:

Edit: I was just going to add......what else can you eat 12 pieces of for only 60 calories that is as nutritious???? If your all about "volume" or "amounts" of food, as I'm sure some of on here are (how else did we get here in the first place??) then veggies are the way to go!!

Sorry I was not being negative. I did not understand what you meant then. I thought you were telling her all those were calorie free. I get it now. Again, not being negative just thought you meant something else.
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Be very careful. These fruits and veggies are definitely NOT zero calorie. I would take this list and deep six it!
    Thank you for this! Nothing is zero calorie except water! Don't be misguided by the lure of" no" or" negative" calorie foods- they don't exist.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Zero Calorie Foods
    Spinach
    Turnips
    Zucchini

FRUITS
    Apples
    Blueberry
    Cantaloupe
    Cranberry
    Grape Fruit
    Honey Dew Melons
    Mango
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Papaya
    Pineapple
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Tangerines
    Tomato
    Watermelon

I think you have a lot of misconception here. Just one mango is over 135 calories and over 30 grams of sugar. It is not even close to zero calories and most of the fruits you list here are also reasonably high. They all count....
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I couldn't function mentally nor physically on 800 calories!!! WOW! I would be so irritable! Good luck with everything looks like you are off to a great start according to your tracker! :flowerforyou: